Someone has been reading...

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Senior Editor

Post March 03, 2015, 03:53:42 PM

Someone has been reading...

I managed to puzzle out a few access code thingies this morning and took a look at a list of page hits for February. It wasn't a complete list, I had no way to tell if the stats indicated people reading complete stories or just clicking through. Someone seems to have been reading a lot of Mare Inebrium stories, Nightwatch stories, and using the Author Index to explore our Archives. Hundreds of people seemed to have clicked on every story and poem in last month's issue, which is a good thing. The fact that the list I looked at was just an overview instead of highly detailed page stats shouldn't worry anyone. I do believe the list excluded bots and search engines searching the site, however. So all the numbers I saw were pertaining to real readers.

No, I won't release actual numbers. Not even in private messages, so don't ask. Why not? Because there was no way to tell hits that indicated someone just looking at the first paragraph or reading the whole page. Moreover, I can't tell if some of those hits came about from readers using search engines to find work by specific writers rather than visiting our zine directly. Also, I don't want anyone generating any "So-and-so got more page views than I did" arguments. Hit counters on pages are a thing of the past for good reason. A writer who believes that few people are reading their works tend to quit writing, get depressed, and waste their gifts going on to other pursuits. *I* almost did exactly that several times, back in the day. I don't want anyone giving up because *I* don't know how to filter or read the output of a hit counter correctly.

What I will say is that hundreds of people are reading everything in each new issue as it comes out. And some of those people go on to explore past issues, favorite writers, and our shared universe series. So unless you've asked us to remove some of your work so you can sell it, you are still getting readers going back as far as our Archives allow. That's a good thing, my friends.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Editor Emeritus

Post August 04, 2015, 11:50:16 AM

Re: Someone has been reading...

Vila wrote:I managed to puzzle out a few access code thingies this morning and took a look at a list of page hits for February. It wasn't a complete list, I had no way to tell if the stats indicated people reading complete stories or just clicking through. Someone seems to have been reading a lot of Mare Inebrium stories, Nightwatch stories, and using the Author Index to explore our Archives. Hundreds of people seemed to have clicked on every story and poem in last month's issue, which is a good thing. The fact that the list I looked at was just an overview instead of highly detailed page stats shouldn't worry anyone. I do believe the list excluded bots and search engines searching the site, however. So all the numbers I saw were pertaining to real readers.
What I will say is that hundreds of people are reading everything in each new issue as it comes out. And some of those people go on to explore past issues, favorite writers, and our shared universe series. So unless you've asked us to remove some of your work so you can sell it, you are still getting readers going back as far as our Archives allow. That's a good thing, my friends.
Dan

This gladdens me! At different times I wondered how much effect the Archives were having.

My health plummeted the past year or two, so I wasn't even able to do anything! But I'm starting to get better. So I'm catching up on some posts today, plan to do more in the next few days, and then even if it's only a token effort, I want to get back to the Archives! I have never gotten the "rhythm" down for updating the past issue pages, but that's another day. But I think I can whack at the Flash because that's the easiest for me to wrap my mind around.

So just letting people know, I never forgot - only life swiped pretty hard at me!

Return to Administrivia