Aphelion Author Index 2013

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post February 13, 2013, 10:12:39 AM

Re: Aphelion Author Index 2013

Having solved a few offline duties, I can spare some more energy to this.

The first step is boring "housekeeping" - my work style is to whack conceptually at categories to find out the hotspots, then do the polishing later ... which is now. So I now/soon will have all of Robin L and Mark E's poems in, fresh updates from Nate on the Flash side, and listing all of Nate's examples on his main index. I'll have some of Dan's Editorials in but the rest of them might slide while I go after a couple of the bigger fish.

Edit: Dan's Editorials are still in process but coming soon.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 13, 2013, 11:34:41 AM

kailhofer wrote:I'd have to say that this is damn cool.

Can it take that same info and relate it into the other index by author that you're making? That way an author (or anyone looking) would also see his or her flash stories, too.

I see that I kind of shot myself in the foot, though, since all the example stories were linked under the challenge title and not under my name. I didn't want anyone to think I was doing it to promote myself, but now selfishly I wish someone could see that I wrote them.

Hi Nate,
A big part of this update is the "shout outs" to a few people who have helped a lot. So per above, I'm gathering all your example stories into your main heading. Just comparing notes: The last example story I see is August 2010 with "Frozen Designs" so holler if you think I missed something.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 13, 2013, 11:51:16 AM

Damian Delao wrote:I have been left off this list and I'm mad as a hornet in water! Who is responsible for this outrageous lack of attention? Was it Robert M? It was him, wasn't it? I'll have you know, sir, I will not and cannot accept such blatant disrespect.

Here is a list of my very few works...

July 2012 - Paying the Price

September 2012 - They-- It's Always They

November 2012 - Patience

By the way, good work gents. Good work indeed.

Dear little hornet,
You can now dry off out of the water! Whatever else doesn't make it into the update, you are in. See? Participation works!

This is a call to other authors who are interested in such matters and want fast tracking!

Critic

Post February 13, 2013, 12:23:35 PM

Oh Woe is me.

No dogs allowed, apparently.

:(
Doggerel is a derogatory term for verse considered of little literary value.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 13, 2013, 01:08:32 PM

Verse wrote:Oh Woe is me.

No dogs allowed, apparently.

:(

Wait wait wait, what?
It was just a double joke to Damian's comment. Authors can also be dogs! (Remember the old adage, "on the Internet, no one knows you're a dog!")
So the message was, if you were enthused about these Author-Indexing topics, to shout up and even if someone else fell off the list, I'd get you in : )

So Mr. Verse, tell me things!

Master Critic

Post February 13, 2013, 08:31:51 PM

Three things I'm working on from this morning's post.

The poetry collaboration between Robin Lipinski and Iain Muir, Lester Curtis and myself has been reposted at the end of "Strengthening Poetic Muscle" thread, 3 seperate collaborative poems. They were the last draft from each collaboration. They have titles and can be placed under both Robin's collection listing and the three of our collection lists.

I actually found "three" poems by Robin under the "Strengthening Poetic Muscle" thread and have moved them to his topic. I know what happened, I put those there "before" Robin's thread was created.

I'm gonna work on the duplicate poems as per your plan later tonight, and let you know when it is finished.

Master Critic

Post February 14, 2013, 01:52:20 AM

Tao, I've gone over Robin's poetry thread many times, removing the duplicate poems. Man, I can't believe I added a handful at the end that was previously posted. I'm glad you caught it.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 14, 2013, 07:45:12 AM

Mark Edgemon wrote:...
The poetry collaboration between Robin Lipinski and Iain Muir, Lester Curtis and myself has been reposted at the end of "Strengthening Poetic Muscle" thread, 3 seperate collaborative poems. They were the last draft from each collaboration. They have titles and can be placed under both Robin's collection listing and the three of our collection lists.

I'm going to try out using the same method I did for the Blind Collaborators and organize those three in a "Poetry Collaboration" section. My reason is that it's definitely a "whole greater than the sum of the poems" and I think a reader would be better served just clicking down the "theme topic entries" rather than trying to separately navigate to the individual pieces by author name. It also gives me a "top level node" where I can put the thematic context for the entries.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 14, 2013, 09:51:49 AM

Valentine's Day Alpha 5!!

Happy Valentine's Day Aphelion gang!

My plan for the poetry worked, and I think I did my Rubik's twisting right. So here we go:

Now with:
Poetry from 2008 onwards!
Including about 50 poems from Richard Fay and about 90 from Richard Tornello!
Flash entries!
Nate's Flash Examples!
Over 350 forum poems combined from Mark Edgemon and Robin Lipinski!

Other things:
A first try at a graphic at the top of the index
Beginnings of identifying the categories (short stories vs poetry)
Collaborations section
Damian Delao's stories

So go play!
I'm sure I goofed a few things, so I wanted to get this out there so we have a starting point. Notably Dan's Editorials are still in process and are planned for the next update because I didn't want to delay this one any more.

http://www.freevoteusa.com/AphelionArch ... index.html

Editor Emeritus

Post February 14, 2013, 10:52:40 AM

Stuff to do for Alpha 6 - 8

Okay, this is just some brainstorming for the next couple of editions.

The first thing that emerged is that there's some bad links etc. Before anyone burns too much time trying to make a list, I'll take a whack at it first. I'm getting excited that some big ticket progress is going on, so expect the broken links to drift a little. I'm spot-fixing stuff as I find it but it's not on the front burner. EDIT: That's because there are link checker programs out there.

I'll edit this post a whole lot as I poke at stuff.

EDIT: I keep flipping back and forth between calling them "stories", "short stories", and "fiction". I haven't made up my mind all the way yet so that might look a little jarring for a couple of editions.

EDIT: There may also be some cases where poems are labeled "fiction" or "stories" and the reverse because I am assuming that unlabeled stuff is fiction. In one of the later editions I'll try to sanity-check the actual links and see if my labels are right.

Poetry Editor

Post February 14, 2013, 06:17:05 PM

Firstly: nice work!

Secondly: we seem to have some duplications: John Grey, for example, appears twice in the index, with different poems against his name in each list, yet they are all the same fellow (this could be a fault in my spreadsheet. I tried to make sure the exact same spacing etc for each name, but...)
KNEEL before Zod!

Master Critic

Post February 14, 2013, 07:00:01 PM

I can't believe how great a job you've done so far! Such detail!

Editor Emeritus

Post February 14, 2013, 07:04:27 PM

Wormtongue wrote:Firstly: nice work!

Secondly: we seem to have some duplications: John Grey, for example, appears twice in the index, with different poems against his name in each list, yet they are all the same fellow (this could be a fault in my spreadsheet. I tried to make sure the exact same spacing etc for each name, but...)

Heh told y'all there's no shame in the glitches! I think it's not a spreadsheet spacing problem, I think it's my turn to do the Blurry Eye thing from info pulled in at different times. So okay, a few Doubles to solve.

Did anyone find any horrible botches? About the worst possible is mis-attribution where one writer's item is stuck under someone else's heading.

Edit2: Particularly in cases like Mark Philips and Mike Phillips, it's worth 2 minutes of review to try our best to ensure it's not a typo. We also have a thing where the same author shows up under a couple of spelling variants. An important one is below.

Edit: Is someone up for making a list of the duplicates?

Otherwise that's all the time I have for another couple of days, but hopefully not too long.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 14, 2013, 07:17:24 PM

Do we like the graphic? Or should I try to make it wider like the Forum?

Editor Emeritus

Post February 15, 2013, 10:04:08 AM

Call out to R. Richard Rick Tornello

Yo Mr. Tornello.

I have a couple of spelling versions of your name showing up. Do you have a preferred author byline spelling?

Master Critic

Post February 16, 2013, 11:53:16 AM

preferred:

Richard Tornello

okay
R.Tornello or RdotTornello

last but really only used for business so I know a business call from a friend:

Rick Tornello

Editor Emeritus

Post February 16, 2013, 12:03:13 PM

rick tornello wrote:preferred:

Richard Tornello

okay
R.Tornello or RdotTornello

last but really only used for business so I know a business call from a friend:

Rick Tornello

Good to know. I made a good guess and you're already Richard Tornello in the master list and I had changed it in a bunch of the Flash challenges. In one of the technical updates I'll look hard for variants and fix them.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 16, 2013, 12:14:14 PM

Fun Fact(s)!

I took a moment to test a couple of things. With more to do, I think we're over 900 authors! I think we have a real shot at hitting 1,000 soon if we haven't already!

Master Critic

Post February 16, 2013, 01:02:57 PM

Where is this lizt?

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post February 16, 2013, 01:13:07 PM

rick tornello wrote:Where is this lizt?

RT

I'm posting various stages of drafts as I build it. I've borrowed the software terminology to indicate at what state I think it is in, as after the first couple of times you see it, it's hard to tell what new stuff has been added. "Alpha Version 5" is here for example:

I recommend opening it in a new tab because it's a slightly heavy script page that seems to fight a little bit with the regular Aphelion layout. I posted an open question on that a little back but I don't have an easy answer on what to do about it yet.

The sections are expandible, and so to find you, you'd click open "T" and then click on your name on the left hand side.

Master Critic

Post February 16, 2013, 02:53:34 PM

Very nice and works pretty well too.

I assume since the FLASH are listed otherwise, there will be no overlap. I'm not attempting to make more work just wondering.

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post February 16, 2013, 03:10:47 PM

rick tornello wrote:Very nice and works pretty well too.

I assume since the FLASH are listed otherwise, there will be no overlap. I'm not attempting to make more work just wondering.

RT

Heh now I'm getting going, the work explodes! I do eventually plan to migrate up the Flash entries, though that's slated for one of the later updates after I think I have everyone listed at least once.

Pretty soon it becomes a case of small upgrades across a thousand authors, so incremental quality improvements begin to slow down after a point. I'm a fan of using clever utilities to batch process stuff, and I have a couple of neat "toys" planned!

Long Fiction Editor

Post February 16, 2013, 05:58:03 PM

Tao, you rock! I managed to find one of my early flash stories that I didn't have a home copy of, and had pretty much forgotten I'd written. Thanks for the good work!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post February 16, 2013, 06:17:31 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:Tao, you rock! I managed to find one of my early flash stories that I didn't have a home copy of, and had pretty much forgotten I'd written. Thanks for the good work!

Hooray!

That's what I like to hear!

I've been working on a lot today too. Unfortunately some of it is ant's eye view cleanup, but it will enable a couple of nifty toys to play with.

Meanwhile per Richard T's note, I made myself a placeholder note on how to filter up the challenge stories into people's sections.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 16, 2013, 11:09:56 PM

Alpha 6 "Weekend Toys" Edition

Okay, for you gang Saturday Night, this is the best I have for the flashy new demos. A lot of it is prototypes.

This edition really pushes the program near its limits, basically highlighting why it won my survey last year when I looked at like 10 of these programs. (Only one other one came even close, and it finally lost out on something like a TKO from the wrong kind of flaws just adding up.)

For this release I focused hard on getting as much new tech as possible. The boring "fill it all in release" is coming afterwards at some whatever pace.

Less'ee:

1. Global Title List by Author
Based on an idea by Mark E. So if you're trying to find that story that someone wrote about Marilyn Monroe, do a Find in your browser, and Lo, it's good ol' Mark E! This list is built in and auto-exports, and 5 minutes of Rubik's twisting pulls it back in.
(EDIT: Death by Font! Okay, sorry, I'll get it later!)

2. Global Title list by Flash Challenge with Authors
Lester Curtis remarked that he had forgotten he had written a couple of flash challenges. So now it's even easier to remember that strange little piece (maybe it didn't win!) you wrote 3 years ago. So click open the Global Flash List and search for your name.

3. Flash Story PreFilter prototype
Rick T chimed in as a second/third voice wondering about the Flash stories migrating their way into the main listings. As a demo only, more of a placeholder reminder to me, I just Doppelgangered the original flash list. Then my inspiration today was to create author buckets, and then play a giant game of "solitaire" just dealing off the month-sorted challenge entries into the author buckets. Then I think that same list above then produces a batch set of links for the main list, and a "replace with null" operation should just remove the noise. Way faster than tediously scrolling up and down each and every entry.

4. Issue Quicklist prototype
As much a guide to me as anything, and all about the "Toys", I discovered that by shifting the spacing in the main list, I can "Speed Mirror" Robert M's back issues. So theoretically they should match (to a point, mine will have a couple of extra stuff eventually), so if you don't want to click each and every issue to find that story from whenever, you can expand the tab and again do a browser search to discover that the story about Teddy Bears and Demons was way back in Issue 101. It doesn't link yet, and won't for a long time, because that part doesn't auto-import, but then you just see who wrote it and go back up top to the main link.

Also it tells me how far behind I am if Robert's official issue has 12 items and I only have 7 because I didn't do the Features yet or something.

5. More detail in the works pane
Something that bugs me just a hair is that you can click somewhere and once your mouse leaves you can't tell what author you are looking at. Solving multi problems with one bit, the extra info I am adding that creates the Quick List happens to be way more descriptive for the author you are looking at. It's currently only about half way through B.

More stuff:
- another half year of stories
- fixed a couple of duplicates - someone please review and holler if you see more. In the 30-second-look dept the only ones I saw were in "G".
- First chunk of some horribly boring back end cleaning that makes the toys possible. I still can't decide whether to call a story "Story" or "Fiction". Thankfully, the developer put out a new edition of the program last week with a Global Replace that almost works, so one day if I ever decide I can just slam it home. Also stuff like changing "Issue 19" to "Issue 019". However that's not smart to do that blind on 1-16, because then it will trash the recent issues.

So there you have it! That's about where I see the Vision. The next couple of releases might have a trick or two, but somewhere in there is more dull detail stuff than new toys. But it's the weekend, so I wanted to give y'all something to play with!

EDIT: Long story titles and punctuation in titles do strange things to the speed-list, so I'm not sure if that's gonna stay a production feature and instead become an internal production tool.

Master Critic

Post February 17, 2013, 11:02:28 AM

Tao, I sent you a PM before I read your note about not having the complete list for SSs. Ego and all that.

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post February 17, 2013, 11:18:13 AM

rick tornello wrote:Tao, I sent you a PM before I read your note about not having the complete list for SSs. Ego and all that.

RT

Thanks for being involved Richard! It's not ego at all - yes you absolutely do have more ... I'm just starting 2012 as I write this note. Sorry if my partial stages confused you! That's where my terminology came from - "Alpha" and all that. It means I'm not ready to call it complete with big chunks missing. Instead I find it both important and useful to post the stages to see how stuff is shaking out before I burn 3 days only to discover I backed myself into a hole. I'll have the rest of the short stories roughed-in by another say 4 hours, and that moves me closer to something usable.

However once I finish the big story sweep, I'll work at populating your page as one of the first with the challenge entries.

Edit:
Richard, I'll probably paste your page as into a reply to your P. M. just to keep the public thread noise down.

Master Critic

Post February 17, 2013, 01:54:39 PM

An idea that may have been expressed previously:

When all this effort is "completed" , then maybe broadcasting this to GOOGLE (and I'm not sure what that means in total), with the list the amount of stories, poems and all to the world, might bring wanted attention (seems the evil ones have been stopped at the gate, thank you Lester, kiss kiss) to the site and to the writers.

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post February 17, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

rick tornello wrote:An idea that may have been expressed previously:

When all this effort is "completed" , then maybe broadcasting this to GOOGLE (and I'm not sure what that means in total), with the list the amount of stories, poems and all to the world, might bring wanted attention (seems the evil ones have been stopped at the gate, thank you Lester, kiss kiss) to the site and to the writers.

RT

Well, that topic is a little trickier than it seems. I have a couple of moderately strong opinions on the marketing side of it all, but those are topics for another day. (First up briefly - we really are pushing 1,000 writers in our career! But there are only some 25 of us posting regularly on the forum!) I've thought about things like a classical NY Times paper ad really trumpeting us etc. But onward.

"Aphelion" is about 4th on Yahoo and 7th on Google for a 1 word search so that's pretty good. After a lot of delay caused by uncertainty, I made a couple of decisions and went with a system designed for writers to point to their entry here to indicate their stories. Other considerations were that it be extremely fast to populate and produce complete updates without loading individual author pages all day which is basically what crushed Robert M. and maybe Cary Semar with the old pages.

But we do pay a price for it. The "child pages" are not engine friendly at all. And even if a random reader got to one of them, you can't get backwards (easily) to the master index. (Unless I stick a generic line at the bottom like "click here to go back to the index". And even then it doesn't have header graphics on the child pages to tell you where you are.) There's also some important layout discussions to solve.

So it's a big discussion. At the cost last night of not yet having a year's worth of your stories Richard the purpose of the "Toys" release was to block out what I am offering. There's some data crunching to do. And then behind the bramble bush are a couple of things to ponder.

Master Critic

Post February 17, 2013, 02:35:29 PM

Tao,

Let's save the GOOGLE/point-back discussion for another day. I'm not all that concerned about it, especially at this point in the development you are undertaking.

RT
PreviousNext

Return to Administrivia