Aphelion Author Index 2013

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 12:49:20 AM

Aphelion Author Index 2013

Okay, we might get there this time!

Here is my Alpha2 for the Author index. It has almost everything through about 2004, and the stories through mid-2007. Plans roughly in this order:

1. Stories through 2009 where the Back Issues leaves off
2. Poetry and Filk through 2009
3. Features/other through 2009
4. Dan's Editorials part 1
5. Dan's Editorials part 2
6. Misc formatting, and other things (And yes it should say Index, not just "archives!)

For those who haven't seen this system yet, it's a dynamic webpage with adjustable lists by first letter of the author's last name. It's run by a backend database with a turnkey export that globally updates the entire site with new info. So if something isn't here yet, and I add a bunch of new info, I replace the entire page set and everything is supposed to autolink.

So poke at it and comment!

http://www.freevoteusa.com/AphelionArch ... index.html

Poetry Editor

Post January 21, 2013, 01:17:34 AM

Re: Aphelion Author Index 2013

I don't see "Tornello" under T... I shall have to see when Rick started spamming me ;)
KNEEL before Zod!

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 21, 2013, 01:18:11 AM

Wow! That works. I take it you plan to fill in the blanks and then do the same with the story title index -- ? That would be marvelous!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 02:20:06 AM

What there is of it (i.e., much more than the "official" Author Index covers) is cool. Be sure to PM Mr. Wynne to see if we can make the Alpha2 the live version ASAP...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 10:50:01 AM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:What there is of it (i.e., much more than the "official" Author Index covers) is cool. Be sure to PM Mr. Wynne to see if we can make the Alpha2 the live version ASAP...

Oho! There we go - I hooked the rare but illustrious Moriyama fish! You were busy at different times including my prototype from last year so I wasn't sure what you were up to. So are you saying you want a "periodic push" to synch with the official Aphelion servers?

Meanwhile I just shoved that out there to show the benefits of the idea. I'm gonna take one more whack at it today before I push it. Heh I like the software terminology! These first couple editions are Alphas because of known severe missing info. We'll be staying in Alpha for a while until it begins to get more recognizably coherent.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 10:56:01 AM

Dan's Editorials

I think it's important to get Dan's Editorials on here too. It doesn't seem hard - it's just that they're the main thing that doesn't "go to a page" - they're sorta "sitting there" on the pages, especially the old ones. My two suggestion is to keep it more like the others and create spinoff pages so that Dan's Editorials have the same kind of listing. Because they're so different in mood and so plentiful, (and not least for org. purposes) I'm leaning toward a separate Dan's Editorials section.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 10:59:37 AM

Wormtongue wrote:I don't see "Tornello" under T... I shall have to see when Rick started spamming me ;)

The forum lists it as Oct 2008, unless that got scrambled in one of the board conversions.
Meanwhile I have half a brainstorm brewing...(a zephyr?) If it doesn't work I lose nothing... but if it works, I might save hours... :shock:

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 01:12:31 PM

Sort Order?

In a perfect world, how do we want the entries sorted in the right hand pane? They're scattered a bit but currently mostly in issue order. Do we want them by issue to eventually tie to the back issues list, or Alphabetical by first (major) title word?

Master Critic

Post January 21, 2013, 01:26:57 PM

Re: Sort Order?

TaoPhoenix wrote:In a perfect world, how do we want the entries sorted in the right hand pane? They're scattered a bit but currently mostly in issue order. Do we want them by issue to eventually tie to the back issues list, or Alphabetical by first (major) title word?

Ideally, how about by issue edition and also works by author's name, subdivided by type (ie stories, poetry, articles and editorials.

How can I help?

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 21, 2013, 02:31:10 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:In a perfect world, how do we want the entries sorted in the right hand pane? They're scattered a bit but currently mostly in issue order. Do we want them by issue to eventually tie to the back issues list, or Alphabetical by first (major) title word?

I vote alphabetical. I can easily imagine searching for a story by title or author; not by issue number or date. That's just me, though. Is there a way to incorporate all of that information, maybe as a cross-reference of some kind?

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 03:00:01 PM

Mark Edgemon wrote:

Ideally, how about by issue edition and also works by author's name, subdivided by type (ie stories, poetry, articles and editorials.

How can I help?

Hi Mark!

Not counting that Robert M. got busy, we already have a master list by Issue Edition in the "Back Issues" section for people who remember "Oh yeah, I never read October, I'll go there". So on on this side of the fence the left hand pane "driver's side" is by Author. Then I do mostly have it sorted by category type next. Take a look at Dan Hollifield's entry. Except minor formatting, he's up there for the most types of categories. So then we have Author - Category
Then the question popped up do we want the items per category sorted by Alphabetical Title or Issue #. By Issue appeals to me in a sort of Monk/Debugger fashion, because it tells me that I only made it up to say Issue #105, but I also definitely see the appeal by Alphabetical order. Sorting is a bit down the list, but maybe because it's easier to debug by issue #, I'd do that first just until stuff got under control, then maybe just copy and flipsort each section and repaste it by Alphabetical. Would that work?

So

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 03:04:31 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:

I vote alphabetical. I can easily imagine searching for a story by title or author; not by issue number or date. That's just me, though. Is there a way to incorporate all of that information, maybe as a cross-reference of some kind?

Hi Lester,
I thrashed something out in my note to Mark in the other post. It's way faster to initially build it by issue because it ends up like a Word Search when you start out first by Alpha. But as it gets more solid, it's not all that hard to paste a second copy below/above it flipped by title.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 03:14:18 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:
Lester Curtis wrote:

Hi Lester,
I thrashed something out in my note to Mark in the other post. It's way faster to initially build it by issue because it ends up like a Word Search when you start out first by Alpha. But as it gets more solid, it's not all that hard to paste a second copy below/above it flipped by title.

I am biased because most of my entries in the index are from the Al Majius series, and should be read in the order written, not alphabetically (i.e., by issue number or issue date works better for me, most of the time). Of course what I really should do is add an index to the Majius stories to the "Series" section...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 03:22:51 PM

Mark Edgemon wrote:...
How can I help?

Not counting that I dropped the ball for too long, part of it was that in those days I had both fewer skills and fewer tools, and sometimes tools create skills. Over the last couple of years I developed a hobby of little low-level time saver widgets exactly for stuff like this. I've already saved a pure week on the old style from a few years ago! (The program that creates the SuperPage was the first huge breakthrough - besides the expandible driver page that's just neat, if Robert/Someone was doing what I think they were, it was a hand kept list of separate web pages per author that would have to be version controlled and reloaded every X months. Sometime about spring last year I caught a glimpse of a certain kind of note-collector category of software, and then I went on a crusade to test about 15 of them. Even though the runner up one had some legit features that might be nice to think about next year, this one was the winner because of the powerbomb-exporter that *works*. (Gimme a shout if you think you see a bad link, and if it wasn't my fault being a twerp, I'll do a shout out!)

So anyway, the next trick is I am working "vertically" rather than trying to exhaustively go purely issue by issue. So if you want to get your feet wet, dig up good ol' Robin Lipinski, and begin a spreadsheet of all his poem titles. The links won't be there yet, but that's the breakthrough - make the work modular so that parts of it will get there. Then pick your choice of say the top 7 most prolific poets in Aphelion and do the same thing.

Master Critic

Post January 21, 2013, 03:35:29 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:So if you want to get your feet wet, dig up good ol' Robin Lipinski, and begin a spreadsheet of all his poem titles. The links won't be there yet, but that's the breakthrough - make the work modular so that parts of it will get there. Then pick your choice of say the top 7 most prolific poets in Aphelion and do the same thing.

Got it...on it!

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 04:00:21 PM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:I am biased because most of my entries in the index are from the Al Majius series, and should be read in the order written, not alphabetically (i.e., by issue number or issue date works better for me, most of the time). Of course what I really should do is add an index to the Majius stories to the "Series" section...

Hi Robert.
That's another reason to eventually have twin pairings, by Issue (aka date) and Title. I'm happy for individual authors to decide which set they want on top as most important - a little input from the authors is a good thing. It's not supposed to be some super-rigid brittle edifice that can't change. For example Dan's section is different from everyone else's because he's got more category types of stuff going on.

Meanwhile you can just borrow my index which will start out by Issue and move it around to re-post in the series section.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 04:47:41 PM

Mark Edgemon wrote:
TaoPhoenix wrote:So if you want to get your feet wet, dig up good ol' Robin Lipinski, and begin a spreadsheet of all his poem titles. The links won't be there yet, but that's the breakthrough - make the work modular so that parts of it will get there. Then pick your choice of say the top 7 most prolific poets in Aphelion and do the same thing.

Got it...on it!

(Smacks Forehead)
D'oh!
If you have had any non-Flash stories published in the main 'zine, get me a list! : ) (You too Lester!)

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 07:45:17 PM

Alpha3

Okay, to give people something to play with, here's Alpha 3:

http://www.freevoteusa.com/AphelionArch ... index.html

Big new stuff:
About 2 years worth of poetry from 2005-2006 based on a list I got hold of a while back from Iain Muir.

Big index framework for Dan's Editorials with about 30 of them posted. This includes partial section divisions to separate out (some of) the poetry from the stories.

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 21, 2013, 09:12:44 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:
Mark Edgemon wrote:

Got it...on it!

(Smacks Forehead)
D'oh!
If you have had any non-Flash stories published in the main 'zine, get me a list! : ) (You too Lester!)

Tao, here's the list, as far as I can find or remember it:

Pretty Little Foxes Apr 20 2011

Cigar (poem) Jun 22 2010

Plantigrade People (poem) and song (mp3) Mar 19, 2010

A Lifetime of Memories May 25 2010

There's another story, called "The Pool," but I wasn't sure if I ever submitted it here. If so, I couldn't find it.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 21, 2013, 09:15:28 PM

Layout problems

In return for a rather clever dynamic scripting design, it is a moderately complex bit of code.

If you simply click one of the links I posted from within Aphelion, it looks to me like the frames are fighting each other. (Compare opening in a new tab)

A couple of examples:

Derek Davis - his stories seem to vanish against the black background.
Dan Devine's Heart of a Warrior - for me pulls the full framework twice, which while visible, looks ugly.

This might take a little brainstorming. Graphics are one of the thin points of this program, though I won't yet say it is impossible.

One idea is a modified version of the Aphelion layout that maybe includes an abbreviated top banner but has no "side frame".
Last edited by TaoPhoenix on January 22, 2013, 12:57:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 22, 2013, 12:43:15 AM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:What there is of it (i.e., much more than the "official" Author Index covers) is cool. Be sure to PM Mr. Wynne to see if we can make the Alpha2 the live version ASAP...

I just sent this note to Rob now. While there's a lot to be done, I like my Alpha 3 version because it laid some groundwork for a couple of things. This will be the update that stays official for a while as I go back to job hunting stuff again for the week.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 22, 2013, 12:51:56 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:Tao, here's the list, as far as I can find or remember it:

Cigar (poem) Jun 22 2010

There's another story, called "The Pool," but I wasn't sure if I ever submitted it here. If so, I couldn't find it.

That's great Lester, I'll hold onto this info for when I do the next update. Are those dates you submitted them or the dates the issues came out? With that few of items I might be able to "Wayback" my way into the issue numbers/months if you don't magically happen to know them by issue month.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 22, 2013, 10:16:32 PM

How does it handle those stories by more than one author? For example, http://aphelion-webzine.com/serials/200 ... ators.html was written by a bunch of us.

Is this capable of scanning forum entries, like the Flash Index, so I wouldn't have to keep getting Robert to unlock the site just to update the list of URLs (that is the index right now)?

Then the worrysome one for me, does this constitute any publication on this other site? Would it be married into Aphelion so that even though it's hosted somewhere else, it still seems in every respect like it's a part of Aphelion? I'm thinking of Author's rights here, and it is NOT something I am in any way an expert in.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 22, 2013, 10:41:21 PM

kailhofer wrote:How does it handle those stories by more than one author? For example, http://aphelion-webzine.com/serials/200 ... ators.html was written by a bunch of us.

Is this capable of scanning forum entries, like the Flash Index, so I wouldn't have to keep getting Robert to unlock the site just to update the list of URLs (that is the index right now)?

Then the worrisome one for me, does this constitute any publication on this other site? Would it be married into Aphelion so that even though it's hosted somewhere else, it still seems in every respect like it's a part of Aphelion? I'm thinking of Author's rights here, and it is NOT something I am in any way an expert in.

Hi Nate.

These are good points, some of which I partially addressed and some are open.

There aren't yet too many multi-Author stories, so I have just replicated a couple of them across both authors, though in a couple of different ways. (If you see my rollout plan that's more like that last formatting stage. Is it Wynne and Williams, Wynne, Robert & Williams, Jeff? Who gets first billing? Etc.) So far that's a bit down on my priority list.

I want to help alleviate your fears on the other point. If anything, it's more like a limited release test for now. I have sent a note to Rob W. about a "push" to make it "official". For a variety of reasons of which I am at least mixed up in, an early push for this got stuck for a long time. So on raw Rights grounds, it's a Clean Room rebuild with little external assistance, which is intended to be wrapped into the Aphelion sphere. Not for the least because until I got a couple of brainstorms I have had severe trouble focusing, in the face of no particular way forward, I thundered ahead to get something going. I have no particular intentions to do external marketing on the list except to draw in more people to Aphelion. At least a couple of the senior crew here were hedging bets whether I was just going to be one more "1-week magpie" but I might have found my traction this time.

I have already sent a note over to Rob W. to do a "push" of my latest best build, and I plan to push a couple more until it gets mostly complete. At that point it will become more of a Maintenance thing, less scary to update than the initial build of a mountain of data.

It seems like it will never be able to "scan" anything. It's just the best data-output solution I found over several tests. Briefly, I tested about 15 note taker programs and this was the winner based on the web-site "global-push-output" feature. It has a couple of serious flaws, such as logo graphics, but that's what I went with after years of inaction. A year ago in the first flushes of these tests I posted a note about the "Rapid ProtoTyping of Data" which featured this program in my own private set of notes.

Truth be told, you've been working harder than I have for a long time, so chops to you. I did about a 2-3 month study of these programs, one criteria of which was "how fast can they really pull in data?" So lemme poke at your Flash Index and we can chat more. My first draft will just be a mirror of your Flash index, and then we can chat if we want it to be more spread about in the regular author indexes.

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 22, 2013, 11:28:02 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:
Lester Curtis wrote:Tao, here's the list, as far as I can find or remember it:

Cigar (poem) Jun 22 2010

That's great Lester, I'll hold onto this info for when I do the next update. Are those dates you submitted them or the dates the issues came out? With that few of items I might be able to "Wayback" my way into the issue numbers/months if you don't magically happen to know them by issue month.

I found those in the index; those are the dates they were published.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 23, 2013, 01:40:26 AM

kailhofer wrote:How does it handle those stories by more than one author? For example, http://aphelion-webzine.com/serials/200 ... ators.html was written by a bunch of us.

Hi Nate.

Here's a sample of how the Flash Archive would look. I made it a separate "workbook" (or whatever they're called in the program) both so I can give it to you and also to retain a couple of modular options. The program *is* indeed modern "freemium" - you can do a lot of stuff for free but this web site global export is in fact in the paid version, though it really isn't much - something like $40. So far I'm borrowing your existing hard work with the Aphelion links to the stories. But it does copy links & titles pretty well.
Here's the "compacted" variation.
http://www.freevoteusa.com/FlashArchive ... index.html

Expanded Version (Mark, see this)
http://www.freevoteusa.com/FlashArchive ... index.html

Those are "12 clicks apart" to use a phrase I like.

The program does have a couple of strange quirks, but they're not so bad. Briefly, the big one is to make sure you save "more than you think you need to" just so that you don't accidentally somehow select an entire node and double delete it. Otherwise it's small potatoes.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 23, 2013, 02:06:01 AM

kailhofer wrote:Then the worrysome one for me, does this constitute any publication on this other site? Would it be married into Aphelion so that even though it's hosted somewhere else, it still seems in every respect like it's a part of Aphelion? I'm thinking of Author's rights here, and it is NOT something I am in any way an expert in.

Lists work differently than actual works. From what I understand, anyone can "clean-room" a list of almost anything. All that my example has right now is links to the same index you made, so it's just more "eye candy" for a layout rather than a monster post. My web space is a bit in limbo - I haven't made any specific attempts to market any brand, (which is my fault), but I do see how Google can grab data with its spiders and produce unexpected effects. I have a couple of chats open with the technician-owner of the site, but no clear answer yet on how to uniformly block the search engines.

Because I am still working with mere lists, I did take the liberty to produce a couple of test case examples for people to look at. It surely does become a bit different once actual works are involved. In that case I'd see you collecting the stories, then in suitable intervals just "push" the export to Rob W. whereupon he can post it to Aphelion server space.

Disclaimer/etc: I have no affiliation with this program. I just picked it after a medium-exhaustive survey last year of about 15 of these programs. Briefly, it came down to about three programs, and the runner up did other things better. Memory is failing me, but I do recall it had something to do with both graphics and a bit about internal management. However it had a couple of ultimately losing downsides - its export wasn't as clean and hadn't been updated since 2006, and the export deliberately "obfuscated files" as a form of "lock-in", something I am sensitive to. I won't blabber much more here; all I wanted to show was I gain nothing from sounding like a "salesman" here. It's just the best tool I have yet found for what I want to get done.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 23, 2013, 11:09:13 PM

David Byron?

What should I do about the infamous "David Byron"? Skip "him" entirely?

Edit: I'll gather them here as I go along.
"David Brookes" is still there in issue 119 with Space Castaway.
Same for issue 124 with Bleach.
" " issue 128 with The Dry Air.
Last edited by TaoPhoenix on January 24, 2013, 01:05:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Master Critic

Post January 24, 2013, 01:03:02 AM

Re: David Byron?

TaoPhoenix wrote:What should I do about the infamous "David Byron"? Skip "him" entirely?

Edit: I'll gather them here as I go along.
"David Brookes" is still there in issue 119 with Space Castaway.
Same for issue 124 with Bleach.

Bleach - wasn't he the extremely white guy with the overpowering ammonia smell?

Editor Emeritus

Post January 24, 2013, 01:35:09 AM

Authors!

I'm at 735 authors and counting!
Next

Return to Administrivia