Aphelion Author Index 2018

Feedback to the editors about the zine not relating to any specific issue.

Moderator: Editors

Poetry Editor

Post February 13, 2018, 07:31:00 AM

Aphelion Author Index 2018

If anyone's interested, the new index is up and running. Click on the 'Archives' link and have a look.

Navigation:
At left of the list "A Count", "B Count", etc. you should see a small square with a "+" in it. You can expand a section by clicking on the "+" button next to it. You can then scroll down through that section and either close it by clicking on the "-" button you will see at the bottom of the list, or expand the next section.

Refreshing the page will close all sections and return to the basic alphabetical section list.

The index is up to date as of 13 Feb 2018. I will endeavour to keep it so.

Feedback would be appreciated...
KNEEL before Zod!

Critic

Post February 20, 2018, 05:59:11 PM

Re: Aphelion Author Index 2018

Did you do all this by yourself? This was a major undertaking. I am amazed you catalogued every story of this site's archive. You deserve something for this more than just recognition.

Jim

Editor Emeritus

Post February 24, 2018, 04:40:32 AM

Hello everyone...

I have my sights on 2018 as well, and these next few months might be a good time to orchestrate a change.

I am pleased to see (IT technical note coming up!) (part of?) an Author Index v3.0!

And I am ready to become one of the "Emeritus".

I saw the placeholder editorial remarks, and Dan, I do wish to express to you and crew that people begin endeavors and apply their talents first, and mine definitely runs to indexing. When it came up whether I could also post the index back issues, somehow, that process utterly failed to register for me, so let's hope we can find help to keep those going as well! I see them as the "twin half" of the index process!

Elsewhere in one of Dan's editorials, (parts of one of the video ones, and at least a couple more times somewhere else), "people come along" at different times and become part of the Aphelion extended family.

When I first began Version 2.0 of the Index, I had chanced upon what later proved to be a growing new format across the web, of modular dop down information that doesn't have to require endless "searches". Of about twelve information handling programs I surveyed for my own uses, I found exactly two that really proved the power of this format. (One ended up unfortunately having a fatal coding flaw and had to be discontinued, but thankfully, the other works quite well.)

Then, my health collapsed!

But ya' know?

End of Post #1! (An experiment to bite size my rumbling narrative style! It also makes it easier to quote part of a multi themed important message without the wall of text traveling the whole way!)

Editor Emeritus

Post February 24, 2018, 06:41:08 AM

Part 2:

First, the Profoundly Positive observances:

About four times a decade, I get what writer Piers Anthony has described as Magician Grade Talent insights. In 1993, I got the first pair of them: that I could never be a research neuroscientist, because BOTH Calculus AND Organic Chemistry and its followups crushed that high school dream! That is how I became an Accountant.

The other, was a deep, epoch level instinct about the Phoenix Cycle. It was so powerful, that I designed and commissioned a full size chest tattoo of it, with *nearly color perfect* replication of the original from the Pyramids. In 1993. With nothing but Jungian Archtype knowledge, and only confirmed in *2017* by an elite edition book on Ancient Egyptian lore

In 2003, the energies of a couple of the story editors were fading, and Version 1.0 of the index began to show age.

(Draft posted, not to lose this version!...)

(Footnote: I dawdled too long on this part, and the server timed out, and my first version of this was lost, because I failed to think ahead of this (again!) and select all-copy it before hitting submit!)

Editor Emeritus

Post February 24, 2018, 09:05:54 AM

(Placeholder speed draft!)

I'll flesh out this story in a day or two when I get my next batch of energy - I seem to get the most powerful of my insights right on the last portions of my powers, so fatigue is about to overtake me! (Also, this is still only my backup laptop, without my complete computing resources.)

Given what I went through, there was definitely a dark second interpretation of my absence!

I clawed my way to Robin's Writer's Corner, and rested upon the Rock, to show that hope is apparent!

So, as a brief callback to a note from Dan, his enduring vision of Aphelion contributed mightily to pulling me through this past most turbulent year of my life!

But then, all of it left me understanding the song The Thunder Rolls. (That one was precisely about Marriage, but with a few words shifted... see my complete story notes in a soon!)

So Dan's Vision helped me complete the Phoenix Cycle ... yet at such a cost!

Capstoned this month, and again cycles! I missed the warning last year! ... Out of nowhere, only one year later, my primary desktop keeled over!

Now, I am a Humanities Fellow, with a couple powerful computer tricks up my sleeve but not an IT man. So I have a backup of the Aphelion file on this laptop! And then IT keeled over last week too! (Turns out, both were "Not dead, just 'Resting'!" Monty Python, of course.) And that scared me. I think I have a hard drive copy, but the old laptop won't read a newer drive! From the computer failure scare last year, I think I have a Dropbox copy too, but the writing is on the wall. And I never really intended malice using/being a spinoff off-site. That was spawned by a feisty streak I will spend THIS year mastering! And not frivolously, it was left-handed respect not to damage anything on the primary Aphelion system servers!

And I did what little I was capable of, nearly keeled over myself - I paid for the domain fees to keep the site active and running! Because with the Ominous warning of the Phoenix cycle, it DOES take EVERYTHING you have out of you! ... Comes the Promise of Hope. But the cycle is also new now. That is also the lesson.

So all of this started as building a better mousetrap in about 2008-2009, and I am proud of it. But now I would like to complete the exit. So the original files are I believe intact and available, and I am quite happy to also see the final stage of the Phoenix Cycle completed with a successor using partly the same concept in homage!

I lost the spark to churn out the updates. But I will try to help with any data translation, and I will always get inspired on a random month to experiment with something, so a little "workshop corner" would be pleasant, then just send over my results!

Editor Emeritus

Post February 24, 2018, 09:27:39 AM

Wormtongue wrote:If anyone's interested, the new index is up and running. Click on the 'Archives' link and have a look.

Navigation:
At left of the list "A Count", "B Count", etc. you should see a small square with a "+" in it. You can expand a section by clicking on the "+" button next to it. You can then scroll down through that section and either close it by clicking on the "-" button you will see at the bottom of the list, or expand the next section.

Refreshing the page will close all sections and return to the basic alphabetical section list.

The index is up to date as of 13 Feb 2018. I will endeavour to keep it so.

Feedback would be appreciated...

When I get my full system back up, I'll try to share a summary of anything I have in my master files that could be useful.

(Half of my story is in progress as I type this memo) Part of a business niche I semi-invented or at least added my own contribution to, was what I am just this morning calling "double translation of data". So "busy" people might look at two systems and say "that data is not compatible".

But if the treasure is a couple thousand hours of work all told including experimentation, isn't it worth a little Outer Banks thinking!? Sure, the result might look like some of that area's famous storms chewed up part of it, but why not at least try?

So on this same ancient laptop, the new site doesn't look right, but chalk that up to a "memo about time passing and all good things coming to an end".

I'll do more detailed study with my proper system in a week or two!

Editor Emeritus

Post February 24, 2018, 09:41:41 AM

Incidentally, I did always wonder how other people did the same "drop down" effect, in a modern format.

So I'm dying to trade notes with you in PM to study how this is done in Excel!

With my sights set on working once day medium soon, I need to study that!

Editor Emeritus

Post February 24, 2018, 02:46:19 PM

So much weariness!

It occurred to me while resting the makeshift nature of people performing services for Aphelion is thin lately ...

And my project studies have shed ominous light on the darker side of the Finality of everything.

So I am open to the possibility of Co-Editor for Archives. What I have lost is the reliability of Life energy to drill out the role month in, month out. So there definitely needs to be someone with that energy to sustain us for a while!

Yet at the same time, I forsee more activities that can harness a Few Good Weeks the way my life is operating now. So since it also makes thin Business Sense to continually oscillate "Yes-No-Yes-No" decisions, Co-Editor as a title would provide both of us room to move.

While the exact story had some race sensitivity social details that do not seem pertinent (yet!?), Flannery O'Connor's story title 'Everything That Rises Must Converge" remains a stunning and brilliant description of both Social Media in general, and my current state of life.

"They always say" write what you know ... except I DO know that I am quite susceptable to oscillations of temperament that I developed that plan 15 years ago (HAS it been THAT long!?), which is the dual use of screen names here and anyone who looks with care will find my writings, but the most fickle of cursory web searchers will not generate their own confusion at will!

So I do not have an answer to the Facebook question - in the peripheral exhibits of my project I know of at least a few career-ending mistakes caused by exhausted moments of "Judgement Terrible' " on Social Media!

And the brittleness of the aging of my chosen tech platform did come to my attention every year or so...

So the ideal solution is if someone had command of the front line file, whereupon even an exhausted mistake I could not damage it too badly, and then on a Good Week my spinoff contribution gets merged into the master copy.

And so are the thoughts borne of weariness ... and a glimmer of a new theory for me is that "2020 will usher in the age of Duo Collaborations". Elsewhere I have been watching New Zealand Magician Eduard Todor's videos, and he just reached his first stage of weariness this week as well ... and a respected fellow magician remarked that collaborations are replacing the single Lone Wolves! (Comment by Richard Bellars)

Poetry Editor

Post February 25, 2018, 02:29:20 AM

Jim Statton wrote:Did you do all this by yourself? This was a major undertaking. I am amazed you catalogued every story of this site's archive. You deserve something for this more than just recognition.

Jim

It took me a while, Jim, but it was kinda fun. For a given value of "fun". :lol:
KNEEL before Zod!

Poetry Editor

Post February 25, 2018, 02:32:44 AM

TaoPhoenix wrote:I am pleased to see (IT technical note coming up!) (part of?) an Author Index v3.0!

Tao, We owe you a great debt for the work you did. I will gleefully borrow from your work and trade notes on my approach :D
KNEEL before Zod!

Editor Emeritus

Post February 28, 2018, 10:12:51 AM

Wormtongue wrote:
TaoPhoenix wrote:I am pleased to see (IT technical note coming up!) (part of?) an Author Index v3.0!

Tao, We owe you a great debt for the work you did. I will gleefully borrow from your work and trade notes on my approach :D

"Oh come on Tao, "Approach"!!?

"You KNOW there's an Anniversary of Aphelion joke in there ... somewhere...."
\0/

Return to Administrivia