Beware of "David Byron"

Tools, tips and tricks to improve your writing.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post October 03, 2010, 03:00:12 PM

Beware of "David Byron"

We have just learned that "David Byron" is a plagiarist. The story "Electrocuting the Clowns", which he has submitted to various markets including some semi-pro paying zines, was actually written by Ferrel Moore (and is available in his 2003 collection http://www.amazon.com/reader/0595264239?_encoding=UTF8&page=18 Beyond the Porchlight and other stories).

If you ever submitted material to "Byron"'s zine, it may well have been submitted to other markets under his name (or under another of his several aliases). I would recommend a Google search for the title of anything you may have placed in his grubby hands, just in case...

Robert Moriyama
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post October 03, 2010, 04:07:47 PM

Byron's

Good lookin' out, Robert. Thanks for the tip!
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Editor Emeritus

Post October 03, 2010, 05:41:02 PM

Can't take credit for it...

Someone associated with Mr. Moore contacted us after they found that the story had been printed in another publication under the "David Byron" name. Hell, he even submitted it to us here TWICE -- had to be reminded that we had already run it. I guess when you have put zero effort into something and then shopped it around to god-knows-how-many-places, you lose track.

RM

Jack London (1876-1916)

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 03, 2010, 07:09:31 PM

The biggest shame about this is that it'd quite likely cost more to sue this creep than the legitimate author could get out of him.

Maybe bottomdweller could get her cousin Guido to do us all a little favor . . .
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post October 04, 2010, 01:21:38 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:Maybe bottomdweller could get her cousin Guido to do us all a little favor . . .

Hell Dude,

You're the one with the gun.

Me, I have enough Plutonium to kill him a hundred times over.

It's the size of the head of a pin.

You got an address???

BW
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Master Critic

Post October 04, 2010, 09:50:32 AM

plutoniam

I have something even worse than radiation - really BAD stories that I never submitted anywheres. Let's dump all our trash on his site - and laugh when he steals it.

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 04, 2010, 10:32:52 AM

Hell Dude,

You're the one with the gun.
Yeah, but I'm essentially non-violent . . . notice that I didn't think of that, but you did? I think I'd scream and puke and have nightmares if I ever had to shoot a person.

I have something even worse than radiation - really BAD stories that I never submitted anywheres. Let's dump all our trash on his site - and laugh when he steals it.
You are a freakin' GENIUS, bd! I love it!

Makes me think . . . maybe we could have a contest to see who can write the worst story, and send it to him . . .

Master Critic

Post October 04, 2010, 02:26:44 PM

worst story

Okay - if we need to find the worst story possible, we'll need Richard on board -BURN! He knows I'm just playing. BURN!
I'm so funny. I make myself ROFL!

Master Critic

Post October 04, 2010, 02:47:52 PM

bad stories

Boo HOO, Hey, at least it give you something to talk about!

Re Byron who is he? where does he work from as in webzine?

B

Commenter

Post October 05, 2010, 12:49:10 AM

David Byron...

His real name is David Boyer. He has recently switched to using the name Leo Wolfe. He is actively looking for submissions for Darkened Doorways.

You can read about him, and all the know names he uses, at these two sites:

http://thewriterandthewhitecat.blogspot ... arist.html

http://shocklinesforum.yuku.com/topic/16113

Boyer is a serial plagiarist, as we are discovering. As of today, another author found her work published under David Byron at booksie.com.

You might want to take a look at what this man has published and claimed as his own...you just might find something you wrote.

CCC

Senior Critic

Post October 05, 2010, 02:55:02 AM

Much thanks for the warning.

He's also called himself Iron Dave (http://indieproducer.ning.com/profile/IronDave), if that's any help to anyone.

B

Commenter

Post October 05, 2010, 09:08:30 AM

The Plagiarist David Boyer

Ralan.com has removed all of Leo Wolfe's listings.

Now I just wonder what new name he will come up with?

Editor Emeritus

Post October 05, 2010, 10:15:28 AM

...a.k.a. David Brookes

"David Byron" was the pen name he used for his Aphelion "Electrocuting" submission. "David Brookes" was (he claimed) his real name.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post October 06, 2010, 10:33:29 AM

I hate those guy that steal ideas, stories or techniques and call it there own.

We should all dump 'trash' onto his web-zine and just watch. But then again, people like him are not really worth the time and effort.

At work---I'm retired now---we would sometimes come up with a solution to a problem. It was never a solution that would set the world on fire or anything even near that magnitude, but the solution might make the job a little easier or quicker or save a little money. There was always one guy who would run into the office and say: "I came up with...." We all came up with the idea and usually never said anything about it until the morning meeting! Then we usually added it as an after-thought!! Yet he always tried to take credit for the idea, and finally our department head wouldn't even listen to him anymore. Thank God he transfered to the 'Scubber' ---a complex that cleans the exhaust gas from the plant---and a few years later he quit the company.

There is always somebody like the guy I mentioned around every industry. Whether it is writing, mechanics, medicine, the arts----he/she will pop up sooner or later. So, be on the look-out for them!!!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Editor Emeritus

Post July 01, 2011, 02:43:40 PM

Re: Beware of "David Byron"

David Byron, Daniel Byran, David Boyer (this might be his real name), Iron Dave Byran, Leo Wolfe, ... "editor" of 'New Voices in Fiction' (exposed as bait for writers to supply him with material to plagiarize) and many more scams. His greatest fiction writing appears to be his resume.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post September 19, 2011, 10:18:29 AM

"His greatest fiction appears to be his resume." Very funny Robert!
My greatest fiction seems to be my excuses for not rising to my children's expectations.
"If you're so smart - why ain't you rich?" seems to be their continuing question. When replying to the average joe my usual reply is, "If you're so rich - why ain't your smart?" But if I tell my kids this, they blame me for bad DNA. Ya can't win.

Master Critic

Post September 21, 2011, 02:18:31 AM

David Byron, Daniel Byran, David Boyer (this might be his real name), Iron Dave Byran, Leo Wolfe,

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe is that saying true....eh,eh?
:lol:
“If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person ?

by Chuck Palahniuk

:D

Editor Emeritus

Post March 20, 2012, 10:06:04 AM

Updated list of known David Byron / David Boyer aliases:

David Byron, Sean Killian, Darren Oberhaus, Brian Bradford, George LaCroix, Grant Dean, Leland Gaines, Dylan Cook, Doc Byron, Iron Dave, Tobey King, Jack Sawyer, Leo Wolfe, Jack Burnett, Christian Loche, Daniel Byron, Doc Creeper, Joe Hammond, Kelli Kelso, Kelli Ross and probably others...

DO NOT submit stories to any 'zine or print publication that is edited by one of the above names. If you do, your work will probably be published ... but under one of HIS pseudonyms, not under your name or preferred pseudonym.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Long Fiction Editor

Post March 20, 2012, 11:40:04 AM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:Updated list of known David Byron / David Boyer aliases:

David Byron, Sean Killian, Darren Oberhaus, Brian Bradford, George LaCroix, Grant Dean, Leland Gaines, Dylan Cook, Doc Byron, Iron Dave, Tobey King, Jack Sawyer, Leo Wolfe, Jack Burnett, Christian Loche, Daniel Byron, Doc Creeper, Joe Hammond, Kelli Kelso, Kelli Ross and probably others...

DO NOT submit stories to any 'zine or print publication that is edited by one of the above names. If you do, your work will probably be published ... but under one of HIS pseudonyms, not under your name or preferred pseudonym.

If this guy turns up murdered, I'll swear I had nothing to do with it . . . but I will buy a case of beer for whoever does. Asshole.

Editor Emeritus

Post March 20, 2012, 07:08:56 PM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:Updated list of known David Byron / David Boyer aliases:

Damn, I forgot about him. Twenty names! Twerp's been busy! So ... what - does he "professionally" create semi-fake publications dedicated to plagarizing stuff?

Long Fiction Editor

Post March 21, 2012, 01:30:13 AM

I'm just having to wonder why none of our highly-vaunted law enforcement agencies haven't done anything about him . . . could it be that they've used up their budgets trying to imprison some poor schlub for smoking a joint?

Too bad he hasn't tried to kype anything off of Disney . . . that would be the end of him, for damn sure! The paperwork alone would make a pile big enough to crush him to death.

Editor Emeritus

Post March 21, 2012, 09:55:59 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:I'm just having to wonder why none of our highly-vaunted law enforcement agencies haven't done anything about him . . . could it be that they've used up their budgets trying to imprison some poor schlub for smoking a joint?

Too bad he hasn't tried to kype anything off of Disney . . . that would be the end of him, for damn sure! The paperwork alone would make a pile big enough to crush him to death.

The authorities in Indiana are currently working on the case. Unfortunately, federal authorities haven't (so far at least) become involved, although I'm pretty sure his internet activities involve fraud and theft across state lines... to say nothing of the threats he has made against people who keep pointing out his continuing misdeeds.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post March 23, 2012, 06:43:14 AM

For Lester Curtis:

Too bad he hasn't tried to kype anything off of Disney . . . that would be the end of him

:lol: :lol: :lol:

that's for sure...eh,eh

:mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Editor Emeritus

Post April 07, 2012, 08:51:18 PM

Update: a new "zine" to avoid

From Jeani Rector, who has been chasing Boyer/Byron/... for years now:

"David Boyer has a "new" magazine titled Future of Horror here:
http://futureofhorrorezine.weebly.com/"

Anything submitted there will probably end up sold elsewhere under one of his various pseudonyms, so it will be the future of horror indeed -- but only for the hapless victim whose work is stolen.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post April 13, 2012, 05:43:50 PM

Almost makes me want to Trojan Horse him with a trick story.

Commenter

Post August 25, 2018, 01:19:53 PM

Bastard cost me a 26 year friendship

Porras 2018.png
Subject of The Cabbie Homicide
Porras 2018.png (159.84 KiB) Viewed 1952 times

There was an incident that Jeani Rector enabled as she has a history of plagiarizing history for her subject matter. The Pattern Of Diagnosis of my own literary mag turned up plagiarized by Robert Baupader in 2015-2016. Melissa Ann Creeger of CreateSpace is also involved so I did a sting, I took a story from FictionPress and arranged it asking "How exactly does one plagiarize?" When I saw Ingrid Black being plagiarized, Amazon had a plagiarism addiction as Kealan Patrick Burke's fanbase were caught plagiarizing my work and sending it to me as submissions. Kealan was one of David Wright's bullies in the industry. Kealan and I turned into an air to air mig vs f-16 dog fight.

Kealan was fuming when I said, "Why don't you ask Bram the Talking Wonder Dog about The Cabbie Homicide!" He knew exactly which two stories I was talking about his story The Clause on The House of Pain and my creative nonfiction work, The Cabbie Homicide aka the nonfiction proto-pasta that became a blood stained hurricane. I introduced Addison, Illinois to the horror lexicon. British Columbia will be reading about Oak Lawn, Maywood, and Oak Park, Illinois, in the pages of The Pattern Of Diagnosis. The Cabbie Homicide is noted for an off-scale pitch black dark register, when I was picked up by The House of Pain, Terry "Horns" Erwin knew what she had on her hands and the alumni who were cool with me looked out for both David and Zahid. My buddies Ig and Leper are David's advocates in Chicago while Terry Vinson, Jackie Druga, Horns, Bob Morgan, Jr. and Nicholas Grabowsky became my advocates.

David Wright and Zahid Zaman are heroes in the Wheaton College Hijab Affair. I gave David and his student this because I read how she told me David was bullied too by the students. I seen plagiarism used as a weapon of bullying as Christine Morgan was busted as a prolific character thief. The ones who were vocal about Boyer are the ones who really shouldn't been in a place to talk about plagiarism, as I will show you who that one is right here. In 2004, before I became published I really took the subject head on so going at Boyer well for me became personal. When he caused me to cut ties with my best friend of 26 years, I really went at him.

The taunts "Blood on the Water" which I used a grisly shark attack analogy when I went at Boyer. I even equated him to a pedophile. Me, Nicholas Grabowsky and Ferrel really went at it. I didn't know you guys were talking about this as far back as 2009 where Ray Comfort was caught plagiarizing too. Christine Marie Morgan is known as The Queen of Gargoyle Fan Fiction as she was busted trying to review pirated copies of my five year plan along with sabotaging David Wright and Zahid. They both appeared with Matthew S. Carroll and introduced six breakouts in the era. Matthew S. Carroll has a Pulitzer to his name as Melissa Ann Creeger is still on payroll when a kindle all star was caught snagging writing team as Ingrid Black in 2016. She enabled a plagiarism incident of The Pattern Or Diagnosis, where about six of the bastards vocal about Boyer enabled this incident including Queer Fear Editor, Michael Rowe. That became my most explosive tweet at his expense saying he might as well had denied the Holocaust.
Attachments
christine-pic01.jpg
the one ganking Disney property since 1996
christine-pic01.jpg (110.62 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

Return to Writers Workshop