Black History Month

Tools, tips and tricks to improve your writing.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post February 22, 2019, 06:07:16 AM

Black History Month

Unbelieveable that my life has marched on, for the wrong reasons... it shouldn't be marching...

So we have a week left of Black History Month, but the first step is to Create a Thread, and of course the other months I plan to keep adding things.

For SIXTY years Science Fiction and likely Fantasy have had a Caucasian history and demographic that has been slow to adjust to an ethnic world. I missed last year's Black History month, but it so happens I have one last chance to write for Ente's anthology, he gave me one final chance!

And I have TWO centerpieces to draw from!
(Somehow people don't equate it quite as 'Black' but it will have some Ancient Egyptian themes as well.)
Ancient and Modern, though the story will mostly use the African Ifa Oracle, which is quite nearly unheard of!

I have a few "White Men books" here I will skim tonight, but now with a new way of Seeing...

the other Centerpiece (I only have a plot outline, this one might not get mentioned by name), is the Norton Anthology of African American Literature.
(Easy bet to get free Pizza for Lunch: Thunk that Beast down on the table next to your ... lunch guest, and ask them to guess within two hundred pages what the page count is, not counting the Indexes. Have you SEEN Norton Anthologies? The correct answer here is about 2,770 pages!)

And it has a CD! (And I have two editions, so some swap out of what was in the older copy). And as few more humble sized texts.

And it's going to draw ROUGH on my Life Experiences!

I've been Upper middle class all my life, and protected. so at least 30% I hope to put away most of White Man's materials, and Connect my mind to Africa. Life has never been easy in that continent!

And it will be good for me! The story will be about Medicine, Love, Healing, and Halting a downward drift into the ... Charcoal Night. Do not go gently into the Charcoal Night, those who do, do not come back.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 22, 2019, 06:49:28 AM

Re: Black History Month - Music

I am posting ahead of Knowing ...

A key premise as background is a remark I saw from a layman's finance book when I read a "unit" of histories of the big Crash of 2008. Conveniently for the story, it is indeed "White Men who created the mess".

And I don't have an exact year picked yet, but call it near future. Apparently, the Chinese have poured a lot of money into African infrastructure, (but it's a big continent!) So it's *vital* for this not to accidentally be "Old Time Primitive people times"!

Rather, remarked somehow in passing, the Chinese have simply run into their own problems and drifted away from their initative, so the citizens are "rather poor", and education has gone downhill, but it's crucial as part of Black History month not to accidentally trap ourselves into Writer's Stereotypes!

So all of this is ... evolving ... (look for a fresh take on Religion!) all tonight. There will be electric power, though very faded and weak, "left over from the Chinese investment". I haven't figured out exactly how far I want what once I think saw called "Language drift". In Real African Politics there is already a "Return to our own culture" in a lot of countries, so they might swap out a few "White Men's words" here and there, but the idea is it's a noticeable few done lacklusterly, ad hoc.

So since Medicine will be a major theme, and some of the wiser membersr of the leadership will have some humility, they might not call their three room building a "hospital". As much as they hate what White Man has done (yet again!), White Man HAS built some rather large buildings. Just to get this posted, maybe a word like "Medical Campus". Not sure yet why, probably more slow drift than catastrophe, but incredible Brain Drain, but they're not stupid - at least a few lower mid grade doctors and a couple of medical students and some nurses, probably the computer reached end of use too long ago, but of course they know they used to have one, just no one completed full printouts, and not a lot else for fancy machines, but maybe an aging x ray machine could be left over, and at least the rooms have working fans, and they have a few supplies.

I plan to have a middle aged Chinese merchant who has seen better days occasionally able to pull himself together some days so for example in exchange for food and maybe since there is an Herbalist lineage in Africa, maybe they somehow got enough seeds to grow some traditional Chinese plants the merchant can sell to a colleague of his so they can get sporadic supplies imported now and then, aka it's carefully not a Post Apocalyptic world, just crumbling. So sometimes the Medical Campus can get a few things every few months, and maybe limited monthly ultra basic supplies, and they know it's not enough, but they just have to do their jobs but at least they have sterile Isopropyl alcohol and sheets for the beds and once got a part to fix the x ray machine and so on and a small batch of medical books for the doctor and his few students.

Editor Emeritus

Post February 22, 2019, 06:56:17 AM

Re: Black History Month

It's easy to forget how both large and heterogenous Africa always and will be for a long time to come. So maybe "some other places have it better", I'll tweak the econ of the exact area as I go. But they're not foolish primitives.

So, I have just taken out the Music disc of the pair included from the Anthology of Black Literature (that I bought from a poor Black bookseller who is stationed next to my Rich White Doctor!)

Could go back and forth, I'm starting to think of letting them have a couple of very old computers, the Med Bldg would have one, maybe the chief, a little bit of music stored and maybe a poor quality microphone. (No internet though.) So maybe this is World Building, (another problem I had with Flash, I'm starting to take this seriously, it's as much as message to myself as the world!)

So maybe someone knows a little bit of computer skill and found a Music program on the old computer and started a small technology class to do what little he can to begin to reform a school, and it might be interesting if some of the young students sang the Old Songs.

So now I shall make Spiced Milk Tea, scan the disc, and find my first one, which whispers to my soul ...

Update:
Got it!
Mahalia Jackson, Soon it Will Be Done - dark Contralto voice, to just the Villiage Piano. And a Notable word missing ...
No meat again today, only enough bread for two meals, all you can do is drink your tea... soon it will be done...

Long Fiction Editor

Post February 22, 2019, 11:53:16 AM

Hint: maybe the word you're looking for to describe that Medial building is "clinic."
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post February 22, 2019, 07:50:01 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:Hint: maybe the word you're looking for to describe that Medial building is "clinic."

Maybe, no reason it can't have a two part name, my instinct is saying call it a "_____ Clinic".

The economics are very strange in flux. I'm going for a bit of Faded Glory, and I might have an idea for a Resurgence.

Further homework from last night:
Botswana might be a strong candidate. It';s the most respected Anti-Corruption rating in all of Africa, Wiki says they had a couple good decades of Diamond Money to kickstart them but they already have transition plans in place, and doing that "Mystical Handwaving" that sorta defines the Fiction in Science Fiction, if the Chinese somehow needed the sand composition of the Kalahari Desert and managed to shift the Kalahari High-Pressure Anti-Cyclone *just a little*, combination maybe of prototype terraforming funded by Big Money, let's just say medicinal low water plants might actually grow, but they would have a long growth cycle, so there would be a Quiescent period with a few bad years where things got a little shaky.

So I have to stay away from trying too hard to do Hard Science, but it just needs to be one region with the wind patterns shifted say 5% to tip a balance, it's going to be a Human story, so I should try to avoid blundering too bad tech wise, I only have a week and I have procrastinated for years!

Return to Writers Workshop