That "wandering" feeling

Tools, tips and tricks to improve your writing.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post April 04, 2009, 04:53:41 PM

That "wandering" feeling

Don't you just love that feeling you get as you're writing when you ask yourself, "Now, how do I get out of this story? What's the conclusion?"

Flash is such a short snapshot, you don't always know how it's going to end before you begin. Sometimes you only start with a scene or interesting hook in mind. Knowing how you want to end is the best way, but that doesn't mean you're always going to have that luxury. Deadlines happen to us all, and much as I'd like them all to be award winners, sometimes you have to go with what you have. (That is, if I was ever nominated for something.)

Since I only have 1000 words to reach the end, occasionally, I have to wander a bit until I can find the way out. But there's not much room to wander, because I have to get to the conclusion as quickly as possible.

That usually means I'm going to have to throw out a lot of wandering later.

I'm wandering this afternoon, and I don't have time for that. Lately at work I've had to pull double shifts Monday and Tuesdays, which makes you just dead after Wednesday's work. Thursday is all OT, but you're running on fumes. I get Fridays off in compensation, but it's more of a catch-up, lounge around the house alone, feeling tired day. Too tired to even look at a computer screen. I don't feel halfway normal until Saturday. The "My Pet Monster" post day is Friday. If I get hit with the same schedule again next week, I've got to have this story in the can by tomorrow.

Anybody know a good shortcut for finding the ending when you didn't know where you were going in the first place?

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post April 05, 2009, 11:04:01 AM

Re: The Big Finale

Mark Edgemon wrote:Start with the ending and work backwards. Create your concept around the big finale and then sketch in the details that got you there. This will give plenty of time to wander.

This is a technique I'm looking forward to trying myself.

If you use it, let me know how it works for you.

Mark

Honestly, I've never worked 100% backwards before. If I figure out a whole story beforehand, I don't finish it. It isn't any fun. Besides, I think linearly. Even when I decide to write a flashback or split plotline, I don't do the simpler, obvious solution of writing one plotline and then going back to write the other. I write the flashback or alternate plotline as I'm going in linear order. I'm not sure how my subconscious knows where I'm going, but it hasn't left me high and dry--yet. But it may be why I write slowly. Painfully slow. I can't start over because I wouldn't finish in time. I had a general idea before Spaceman's Birthday was posted, but had to finish that first and get everyone's story posted.

And, thanks for the suggestion, but alas, I don't have that option here. I'm already 3/4 through and need to find a way out that's good. It doesn't have to move people to tears, but it can't read like a newbie's tale. I have standards to uphold for myself, if nothing else.

Any other ideas?
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post April 10, 2009, 02:17:50 PM

Manor

See? I'm not wrong. Everything's all write. :D

Return to Writers Workshop