Tools for Writing

Tools, tips and tricks to improve your writing.

Moderator: Editors

WebMaven

Post February 24, 2007, 05:14:34 PM

Tools for Writing

I came across this blogsite with a nice long list of tools for writers, and I thought I'd share them with you guys:

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifeha ... iting.html

Master Critic

Post February 27, 2007, 10:37:59 PM

Tools for Writing

thanks, some of the stuff here is really nice and helpful, except they have the same issue with adverbs that many people do. i don't see why save maybe for the superfluous aspect.

Lee

WebMaven

Post March 21, 2007, 08:54:09 PM

Re: Tools for Writing

The reason so many writing tips tell you to avoid adverbs is that they're so often abused. Adverbs are like spice...a little bit gives a bit of zing to a dish, too much overwhelms the natural flavour of the food.

Archive Editor

Post March 25, 2007, 05:00:52 PM

Re: Twist on Cliches

I don't even know what to call this one. Elizabeth Forrest pulled this little trick which made me smile.

"He wouldn't work that (crappy job) for all the tea in China."

(Next Page.)

"Meanwhile in China..."

And off she went to describe her Chinese protagonist.

Editor Emeritus

Post March 25, 2007, 11:24:03 PM

Now there's a saleable concept: Twist-on Cliches!

New, from Ronco[sup]TM[/sup] -- Hackneyed phrases for any occasion! Easy-to-use in day-to-day conversation or even in important correspondence -- when you can't find a new way to say something, just pick a tired, overused image or allusion from the patented Clause-O-Matic 5000[sup]TM[/sup], and slip it in with a simple twist of the tongue or click of the mouse!

Comes with over 50,000 cliches pre-installed, and special-purpose add-on modules are available for War, Love, Economics, Religion, and many more.

Act now, and you will also receive these amazing Ginza knives, ideal for fending off the competition at End-of-Season sales and charity bazaars ...

Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Archive Editor

Post March 26, 2007, 01:24:11 AM

I wouldn't buy a Twist-On Cliche if I were the last Cyclical Avian in this quadrant.

Commenter

Post October 10, 2017, 09:40:25 PM

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this link. I am a new writer and it really sucks when it is your first time to write. When you are new in writing, there are so many things to be fixed like grammars, and plagiarism (haha) - I am not a good writer so sometimes I get ideas from other authors and it is freaking me out when it still plagiarize and you have it in your own words though.

Okay, enough for this sucking writing life. Maybe if I keep on writing from time to time I can manage to write everything on my own. The first time I write was really frustrating and I just want to share this motivational quotes from https://ponbee.com/motivational-quotes-for-work/ that will sure help us inspire to work.

I just surfing the internet and found this blog inspiring when I was writing. I hope I will be motivated to write everyday.

Hope you guys find it helpful too. Thanks!

Return to Writers Workshop