Trial by Intimacy by Claude Hopper

Tell us what you thought about the June Issue.

Moderator: Editors

Critic

Post June 08, 2004, 02:52:40 AM

Trial by Intimacy by Claude Hopper

What can I say. This was a very fun story to read. It was great to read some of the background on the Mare. Not sure if they were intentional, but I caught references to Spider Robinson and Douglas Adams in there, which was a nice touch. I evern got a chuckle out of Claudes bio. The part about him half finishing his major and switching, sounds like the character from Roger Zelazny's Doorways in the Sand.<br><br> This story begs the questions, if I was to write enough stories about me visiting the Mare, can I actually visit there myself sometime? The answer to my own question, in writing, anything is possible, as long as Dan's not the Senior Editor <The> :)<br><br>Thanks for the great story.<br><br>Kevin
Last edited by Therio on June 18, 2004, 08:04:47 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Senior Editor

Post June 08, 2004, 08:39:50 AM

Re: Trial by Intimacy by Claude Hopper

I'm sure that Claude put in the Spider Robinson & Doug Adams references in on purpose- as well as lots more that you haven't spotted yet. I grilled Claude over some of them (including the title) and his reply was a classic Claudeism: "Whatcha see now ain't nothin' to whatcha can find if ya Sherlock the story." (Sorry, rendering Claude's accent accurately takes phonetic spelling to new heights.) As you can tell by reading it, this one was started pre-Bruce and I made him leave it that way. This is actually his first story, "The Bouncer" was his second one, but I accepted it first.<br>Oddly enough, Claude is on vacation in Daytona this month. (He went by the normal means- his old Chevy van -not by me writing him there, LOL!)<br>I gave Claude such a hard time over this story because there were so many real details included in it. There were several more pages of "memory lane" stuff in there that I made him delete because it was too personal. As for the personal references to he and I and our friends, most of them are true.<br><br>Dan
Last edited by Vila on June 17, 2004, 06:22:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Senior Editor

Post June 17, 2004, 05:11:24 PM

Claude came over for a little while today. He's disappointed by the lack of comments on his story. He wants to know if its crap or if its cream. :)<br>People, give him a break. He's only written two stories, ever. Let him know what you think. He can take it.<br>Dan<br><br>
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."

Editor Emeritus

Post June 17, 2004, 06:18:53 PM

Re: Trial by Intimacy by Clause Hopper

I 'magine he's right irritated that the comments he DID get got posted under a ring-tailed possumization of his NAME, too. This Clause Hopper thing sounds like some kind of lawyer-fella takin' liberties with a contract, not a good ol' boy whose pal Dan'l has god-like powers (leastwise in places of his creation).<br><br>... which is a fine example of why I don't use dialect (much, anyway) when I write, and why Stephen King should probably try to cut back, thankee-sai.<br><br>Claude's accent kinda got on my nerves after a while, although it did help visualize him as a rig-driving son of a hound. I reckon he could've removed them pesky villainous types who was tryin' to ex-ploit Dan'l's powers by sprayin' them down with some well-chawed t'bacca (which he'd had to hold in 'cause the Mare is a tad short on spitoons), if Dan'l hadn't Edited them to death.<br><br>Guess I'd better watch my step, or Claude'll have Dan'l write ME into a fix, prob'ly involvin' a love-sick D'rrish and a jacuzzi full'a Regulan bloodworms. T'were a fun enough tale, overall ...<br><br>Robert M.
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on June 17, 2004, 06:19:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Editor

Post June 17, 2004, 09:44:41 PM

Guess I'd better watch my step, or Claude'll have Dan'l write ME into a fix, prob'ly involvin' a love-sick D'rrish and a jacuzzi full'a Regulan bloodworms.
Robert M.
<br><br>Nah, he'll probably just try to drink you under the table if you two ever meet.<br> :)<br>But Kevin Eastman could click on the Modify button on that post and correct the typo in the subject line whenever he gets a chance. As can anyone who just replied to the thread without looking at the subjectline carefully.<br>;)<br>Dan<br><br>
Last edited by Vila on June 17, 2004, 09:48:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Critic

Post June 18, 2004, 08:11:05 AM

But Kevin Eastman could click on the Modify button on that post and correct the typo in the subject line whenever he gets a chance. As can anyone who just replied to the thread without looking at the subjectline carefully.
<br><br>Oops :-[, that's now fixed.<br><br>Making a typo on an authors name, on a writers site, talk about embarrasing. :-[<br><br>Kevin
Last edited by Therio on June 18, 2004, 08:12:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Editor Emeritus

Post June 18, 2004, 09:23:15 AM

... Of course, this ability to modify your posts can make other posts retroactively meaningless! My 'clause hopper' line makes no sense now, or worse, it looks like I'm the one who made the error.<br><br>Yes, it IS all about me, damnit! (Also, I DO own the road ...)<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Poetry Editor

Post June 29, 2004, 08:11:22 AM

Yes, it IS all about me, damnit!  (Also, I DO own the road ...)

Robert M.
<br>No you don't, *I* do! (AND you drive on the wrong side of it!) :p
Last edited by Wormtongue on June 29, 2004, 08:17:32 AM, edited 1 time in total.
KNEEL before Zod!

Post July 05, 2004, 01:34:59 PM

I am laughing and pointing. Thanx 4 proving I was rite all along - growing up IS optional!

Critic

Post August 22, 2004, 02:10:47 PM

Growing up just means you have to find different toys to play with. :)<br><br>Kevin<br><br>

Senior Editor

Post September 24, 2004, 10:21:20 AM

Speaking of toys, here's a page of mine that hasn't been updated in a while. Its slow to load, because its heavy with photos.<br>http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/casavila/trimag/trimag.htm<br>Enjoy!<br>Dan<br>

Editor Emeritus

Post September 24, 2004, 11:41:06 AM

Speaking of toys, here's a page of mine that hasn't been updated in a while. Its slow to load, because its heavy with photos.
http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/casavil ... trimag.htm
Enjoy!
Dan
<br>Dan<br><br>Since there are no more Repair Log entries after that last one from 2003(?), are we to assume that the Tri-Mag is back on the road? Also, considering your day (/ evening / night, depending on shift) job, would it be safe to assume that the cockpit is -- ahem -- well insulated?<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Editor

Post September 24, 2004, 05:50:58 PM

There weren't any more entries because I've never had the cash to repair it. But... A few minutes ago I found the book of payment coupons. As of October 15th, the loan is paid off.<br>:D<br>Now maybe I can afford to fix it.<br>As for comfort, it has both a heater and air conditioner. I've sat in the thing in mid-winter sunshine. The huge windshield turns it into a solar oven quite quickly. In fact, I left a plastic tool box in there for a week with the canopy closed- It melted. Eventually, the plexiglass windshield cracked from the heat. I'll have to buy a 4x4 foot sheet of plexiglass to replace it, but I might go to a glass shop and have a safetyglass windshield made. Shouldn't cost more than twice as much as the plastic, and then it would be legal for me to add a windshield wiper to the car.<br>I'm looking forward to finally having the money to get the beast back on the road! <br>Dan<br>

Editor Emeritus

Post September 24, 2004, 08:33:30 PM

Shouldn't a man with his own SF webzine have to drive a far out car like that? :)<br><br>Something like that should come with the charter...<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Senior Editor

Post September 25, 2004, 08:23:10 AM

I never thought of it that way, Nate. :) Maybe I'm a trend setter. You can build one of these things in your back yard for less than $10,000 US. And it should be very good on gas, too. I'll keep you posted as to the state of repairs...<br>It sure would be nice to drive it to LibertyCon next year.<br>Dan<br>

Commenter

Post September 01, 2008, 11:27:03 PM

Liked the line "Then some friends wanted to write a few stories set here. The more that they wrote, the realer the place got" - it nicely kept the alternate universe trope going ...
Rob Bignell
Check out my SF Web site, Inventing Reality (http://inventingreality.4t.com/)

Return to June 2004