The Sorceror from Sand Creek by McCamy Taylor

Tell us what you thought of the December 2007 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post December 27, 2007, 05:05:35 PM

The Sorceror from Sand Creek by McCamy Taylor

Another truly interesting tale. I can honestly say I've never seen a specfic story set in the Civil War era before. Neat.

Intriguing treatment of the topic. Good characters. A bit racy, too.

However, I can't quite put my finger on it. There was something unfulfilling about it. Two people, unhappy with their existence, find each other. That should be good. I can't honestly say what isn't good about that.

I think maybe it was that Conell found his happiness by doing what he didn't want to do in the first place, and that was ok for him. Why would that be so? All he really wanted was to be loved? Of course, she doesn't really seem like she does. He seems more a means to an end to get the books to Ireland.

Maybe it was the story starts in Conell's perspective, then switches in the middle. That kind of implied that his would be the relevant conundrum that needed to be solved, instead of Miranda's.

I dunno.

Regardless, I have to applaud the range of believable settings I've seen in your stories. You certainly don't limit your imagination to one genre or time period. Outstanding.

Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 08, 2008, 12:26:47 PM

Re: The Sorceror from Sand Creek by McCamy Taylor

It wasn't your imagination. This was never intended to be a love story. The attraction is purely physical---sorcerer and sorcerer's assistant---linked by a tantric bond. She is using him to get to Ireland so that she can start a political movement based upon magic. He is using her to get out from under his brother's thumb. They could end up growing to like each other or to hate each other.

Master Critic

Post January 08, 2008, 05:21:48 PM

Re: The Sorceror from Sand Creek by McCamy Taylor

It wasn't your imagination. This was never intended to be a love story. The attraction is purely physical---sorcerer and sorcerer's assistant---linked by a tantric bond. She is using him to get to Ireland so that she can start a political movement based upon magic. He is using her to get out from under his brother's thumb. They could end up growing to like each other or to hate each other.

I think that's the emptiness that Nate's picking up on. The relationship is a loveless one, although I didn't catch Conell's duplicity. That's probably due to the fact that the majority of the story's perspective is written from Miranda's viewpoint. In fact, he came off as noble and kind.

Overall, a fascinating concept. There a a number of diverse topics interwoven: American Civil War, Irish folklore, and erotic magic (although the latter two are often associated with each other in modern fantasy). Everything meshes well.

I do have one nitpick. The missing comma in the parenthical expressions. For example:

Conell O'Dubhan had made sure that Katie and Devnet, the two maids would be busy in the kitchen...

...should have another comma after the two maids. Each time that happened, I had to stop, back up, and reread the sentence, which hurt the flow.

All-in-all, I enjoyed this one.
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Return to December 2007