Vishnu's Beer Garden by McCamy Taylor

Tell us what you thought of the December 2007 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Commenter

Post December 20, 2007, 11:47:09 PM

Vishnu's Beer Garden by McCamy Taylor

To start off - I loved the title - "Vishnu's Beer Garden" - imaginative and fun :). I was expecting it to relate more directly to Vishnu, the Hindu Preserver god - but was surprised instead when it turned out to be Dracula related story. Then again, the powers of Virgil were related to healing and thus preserving - so it does come back to the title.

It was interesting to follow Danny's personal progression as he learned about his special skills. I liked the Bar/Bookstore combination (bookstores are often connected to strange establishments!) The "depair gargoyle" was good too, as well all of Danny's interactions with Virgil, and Danny's discoveries at the hospital and at home. Also enjoyed this story's take on Dracula's family.

The only minor thing that bothered me was the brief POV shift to Virgil early in the story when he first finds the seriously injured Danny. I think I would have prefered to see that part told more from Danny's POV and be a little more mysterious (though I understand why it might have been hard for Danny to be aware of anything) And I don't think that the reader needed to know that soon in the story about the bite (maybe Danny could have just felt a pinch on his neck). Though even knowing about the bite , there is a twist, since Virgil's intent is not what it first seemed to me.

An excellent short story!

Gerry

Editor Emeritus

Post December 22, 2007, 12:12:04 AM

Re: Vishnu's Beer Garden by McCamy Taylor

This is sort of a sequel to a story I wrote years and years ago called "Blood Red Rose" (in second person of all things). It is in the Aphelion Archives if anyone is interested.

If this was a collection of short stories in which "Vishnu's Beer Garden" followed "Blood Red Rose" I would not have included the alley way scene from Virgil's perspective, but I thought it might be needed to help with the story for those who had not read the original.

Regarding name changes, people take lots of names over the course of six or seven hundred years.

Commenter

Post December 22, 2007, 11:27:04 AM

Thanks for the tip about your earlier story "Blood Red Rose" - I looked it up in the archives and read it - good story!

G.

This is sort of a sequel to a story I wrote years and years ago called "Blood Red Rose" (in second person of all things). It is in the Aphelion Archives if anyone is interested.

If this was a collection of short stories in which "Vishnu's Beer Garden" followed "Blood Red Rose" I would not have included the alley way scene from Virgil's perspective, but I thought it might be needed to help with the story for those who had not read the original.

Regarding name changes, people take lots of names over the course of six or seven hundred years.

Master Critic

Post December 25, 2007, 01:29:31 PM

‘Sank his incisors into Danny’s neck!’  Boy did I think this one was going to be the old Vampire sucks blood story, but it wasn’t.

All the elements of story telling were present in this one. Good description, believable setting, characters that became real and some action with the gargoyle and the girl. Enough to balance the story out, since much of it was explaining. Most vampire type stories have the vampires explaining about God, existence, religion---sometime long dialogues with their victims before the final bite---so much that the vampires become too stereotyped and I can’t finish the read!

This story was a breath of fresh air. Virgil was not a vampire, but came from a vampire’s bloodline, yet through training, his powers were guided for the good of mankind! Nice.

Danny having to wear sunglasses, foreshadows a vampire’s endowment through a bloodline---vampires can’t stand the sun or, apparently, bright light!

Virgil became Danny’s mentor and tells Danny the true meaning of power and how it should be used for the good.

Psychiatric hospitals are present in many Vampire stories, and I’m assuming that Danny took Emily Dougherty to the local one because she attempted to cut her wrists. A modern institution that had coffee and donuts, nice nurses-----nothing like bedlam of old England, but keeping some form of a madhouse in a Vampire seems to support that story more. Just a personal taste maybe.

Nice read!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to December 2007