The Dragon Scale

Tell us what you thought of the December 2007 issue.

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 2528

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Mass, USA

Post December 09, 2007, 04:27:11 PM

The Dragon Scale

I have a question for a poetry expert out there.

The Dragon Scale is written in Iambic, which means a soft-Loud syllable pair structure. The lines alternate 4-3-4-3.

Is there a name for this construction? (Something-Ballad?)

All I know is that whenever I see that structure, the first thing that pops into my mind is Petra's song "It Is Finished".
User avatar

Poetry Editor

Posts: 624

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Emerald City, Oz

Post December 09, 2007, 05:17:50 PM

Re: The Dragon Scale

Yep, It is called "Ballad-something," ballad meter to be precise. It's been used since the middle ages. Take a look at for a quick guide to styles and meters.

Aphelion. Not just fun, it's educational, too!
KNEEL before Zod!

Return to December 2007

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.