And Now, For the Rest...

Tell us what you think about the August Issue

Moderator: Editors

Senior Critic

Post August 20, 2004, 02:54:33 PM

Re: And Now, For the Rest...

As I said to Greg in another thread, I'm chasing that damn fourth star.
<br><br>Don't stop at four, Robert.  Peons like Wesley Clark and Colin Powell have four.   Shoot for five, and move up into the rarified atmosphere  of MacArthur and Eisenhower.  At three, you're in the company of Stormin'  Norman Schwartzkopf, who goes for coffee and donuts during breaks.<br><br>Correction: I just made a quick check and found that Stormin' Norman got his fourth star. So he doesn't have to go for coffe and donuts after all!<br>
Last edited by dsullivan on August 20, 2004, 03:13:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.
A really good story can compensate for less-than-brilliant writing, but brilliant writing will not save a bad story.

Senior Editor

Post August 20, 2004, 02:55:54 PM

EEEEK!<br>We're not wanting to exclude anyone but spammers.<br>Perhaps I should talk up the Lettercol more in future editorials?<br>Dan<br>
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Senior Editor

Post August 20, 2004, 03:09:12 PM

Let's see -- we still need the Brash Young Iconoclast, the Impractical Idealist, the Scholar, the Technogeek, the Technopeasant, the Girl Next Door, the Street-wise Tough Chick, ... you know, the Usual Suspects.

Hello, is this Central Casting? We're filling slots for Cliche Characters on a lettercol / bulletin board. You can get people started on auditioning by making a bunch of posts to establish what role they'd be best for.

Robert M.
<br><br>I've always felt like the HP Lovecraft of internet fiction, actually. <br>I influence a lot of people's work, very indirectly. There's an "inner circle" of literary friends whom I correspond with: the Lettercol and chatroom habituees, and I have a mythic series / shared universe game running that ought to outlive me by a factor of ten: the Mare Inebrium stories.<br>I'm not quite the Grand Old Man, but sometimes I feel like the Godfather of the Editorial Mafia, indeed. :)<br>Is the Universal Uncle character slot still open? I'm made for that one.<br>Dan<br>
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."

Production Editor

Post August 20, 2004, 03:17:26 PM

Well...this is interesting. This little thread I started to get everyone to comment in the Lettercol has grown into three pages in length!!! :)<br><br><br>--Jeff Williams

Senior Editor

Post August 20, 2004, 03:40:58 PM

Now if we can find a way for this volume to overflow into the other topics, 'eh Jeff?<br>Dan

Editor Emeritus

Post August 21, 2004, 10:37:13 AM

Last night when I stopped in to check the messages I saw that there were 13 guests logged in besides myself and Dan.<br><br>13 at the same time? What's up with that? Was someone putting us up on some Internet cafe or something??<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Senior Editor

Post August 21, 2004, 04:18:32 PM

That's odd indeed. And yet the chatroom has yet to reach ten people at once. (at least while I'm still awake. LOL)<br>I do wish that there were more comments from the Lettercol Members that have just signed up and not spoken up. I'd really value your opinions, everyone.<br>And as the Aphelion head honcho, I'd like to ask each of you the favor of adding your locations to your Member Profiles. I think it would be cool to know how many countries that Aphelion has readers in now. (I think the previous record was either 53 or 56 countries.) But if you think that adding your location information is invading your privacy, then please follow your hearts. Do what you think is right.<br>If people are being put off by the "Close-Nit Group" appearence of most posts to the Lettercol, please don't be. The only reason that this bunch of rugged individualists appear to be a "club" or "in-crowd" is because they are all genuinely nice people. If you want to express your opinions, I beg you to do so. Even if your opinions seem harsh or overly perfectionist, they will be welcomed and considered on their own merit. And with this crowd, comments that detail what a reader disliked about a story are treasured more that those that just say "Hi, loved the story. Especally the bit where the characters figured out the thing with the gizmo. Way cool idea for a gizmo... Bye for now. Keep writing cool stuff!"<br>A post that says something more like "You lost me when the good guys were trapped by tha cave-in. I never understood if it was the Bad Guys that caused the cave-in, or just a bad-luck earthquake. Oh, and the dialogue was hard to tell who said what when the scenes got busy with action..." will help the writer more. Don't be afraid to nit-pick. Every time you point out where a reader has trouble with a writer's story, you can help the writer learn more.<br>You improve the breed. Think of it as evolution in action.<br>And you, lucky reader, are the preditors.<br>Bon Appitite!<br>Dan<br>:D<br><br><br>
Last edited by Vila on August 22, 2004, 08:41:24 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Editor Emeritus

Post August 21, 2004, 09:51:39 PM

If people are being put off by the "Close-Nit Group" appearence of most posts to the Lettercol, please don't be.
Dan
:D

<br>Not only are we close to being nits, we're halfway to being wits!<br><br>Oh, for an automatic spell-checker (and colloquial expression / cliche validator) on the lettercol ...<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Editor

Post August 22, 2004, 08:38:22 AM

Thank god that *someone* got the pun.<br>Dan<br>

Editor Emeritus

Post August 22, 2004, 12:48:51 PM

Thank god that *someone* got the pun.
Dan
<br>Ah, yes, the PeeWee Herman "I meant to do that" defense. I use it quite often myself (viz. my responses to criticisms of my stories) ...<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
Previous

Return to August 2004