Paddy's New Girl Friend by Joe Vadalma

Tell us what you thought about the May 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Senior Critic

Post May 25, 2004, 10:14:47 PM

Not much suspense here; I figured there'd be the devil to pay! But all in all, this was an enjoyable tale. My favorite line in the story: "Well, a demoness ain't so bad. It ain't like you was a protestant." <br><br>Donald
A really good story can compensate for less-than-brilliant writing, but brilliant writing will not save a bad story.

Editor Emeritus

Post May 31, 2004, 11:36:15 AM

Re: Paddy's New Girl Friend by Joe Vadalma

... Actually, I was expecting Lucifer to show up to give the bride away.  After all, by snaring Paddy, Scarlet was luring a not-too-faithful Catholic into sin.<br><br>All in all, an entertaining yarn.  I guess if Mr. Sullivan wasn't offended by the Oirish stereotypes, political correctness need not be mentioned.  (Of course, if Mr. Sullivan is a Protestant, he might find a story that only mocks Irish folk of the Catholic persuasion a special delight ...)<br><br>(Typo:  "pedal to the medal" should be "pedal to the metal" -- unless Paddy has a Purple Heart under his accelerator.)
Last edited by Robert_Moriyama on May 31, 2004, 11:36:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post May 31, 2004, 03:40:35 PM

Re: Paddy's New Girl Friend by Joe Vadalma

Hot tempered, hard drinking, fun loving. The Irish--of all religious persuasions--have long been the butt of just about everybody's jokes, and they're not easily offended.<br><br>My dad, who drank hard and told many an Irish joke, used to say, "the only thing that upsets me is a pebble in my shoe." <br><br>Incidentally, as a soldier and civilian, I spent a total of eleven years in Japan. And I've never met a more hard drinking, fun loving, partying people than the Japanese.<br>Kompai!<br><br>Donald
A really good story can compensate for less-than-brilliant writing, but brilliant writing will not save a bad story.

Master Critic

Post June 02, 2004, 03:32:56 PM

everybody drinks and parties, it's not geography that counts. <br>paddy's new girlfriend was a very smooth story, i felt for the characters and really bought into their situation. it didn't need suspense or intirgue, everything was quite clear from the get go. nontheless, a good piece and highly tongue-in-cheek, which is always great. loved the infernal in-jokes, like Scarlet saying she doesn't like staying at a hellhole hotel (literally).<br><br>good job, but there were so many typos it was kinda hard to read at times. <br><br>Lee

Return to May 2004