FLIGHT OF THE STARHAWK (PART 2) By Tony Ragas

Tell us what you thought about the May 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post May 16, 2004, 05:09:59 PM

FLIGHT OF THE STARHAWK (PART 2) By Tony Ragas

Very cool, Mr. Ragas. Quite well written with just enough introspection to make the character more real. It is a tried and true characterization technique which can only be achieved in a work of some length. Space Opera, indeed. <br><br>One nit to pick. . .never try to explain HOW the dingus works. You'll get in trouble every time. Your clever superluminal drive is just another reactionless thrust device and therefore still subject to Special Relativity. <br><br>No different, really, than falling off an infinitely high precipice. You still won't exceed the speed of light with it. <br><br>But worst of all, you fell for the media hype that the Great Yeager, himself ever entered into the hallowed halls of 'It can't be done.'<br><br>He didn't. Read his autobiography (entitled: Yeager) to learn why he hated being referred to as, "The Man Who Broke The Sound Barrier." <br><br>The 'Sound Barrier' has never been 'broken' and never will be. Your protagonist—like Chuck himself—would have been knowledgeable enough to have known this.<br><br>But it's still good space opera and I look forward to the next installment. Outnumbered and outgunned. . .how will our hero save his true love and humanity's future?<br><br>Keep the Keys 'a Klickin'<br><br>Bill Wolfe<br>
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Commenter

Post May 17, 2004, 05:38:41 PM

Re: FLIGHT OF THE STARHAWK (PART 2) By Tony Ragas

Well, I'm usually in some sort of trouble anyway! If its any consolation, I did skim through Miguel Alcubierre's paper on "warp drive". It's inspiring to know that an actual scientific paper on FTL travel exists. <br><br>MORE FUTURE PHYSICS FOIBLES LIKELY IN THE PAGES TO COME! <br><br>The Yeager part WAS thrown in without much thought. Since I never read his autobiography, Josh couldn't have either. The funny part is I was careful when creating alien names to the point that after I settled on one, I typed it in on Google to make sure I wasn't using an actual word (Tyreyth was originally Tyreth, which turned out to be a proper name somewhere in Europe!). Yet, after all that, I stumbled on something simple. <br><br>My apologies, General Yeager! <br><br>A word to all other aspiring authors: Never overlook the usefulness of Google!<br><br>Tony Ragas

Editor Emeritus

Post May 23, 2004, 01:59:29 AM

<br>I of course read part II within days of discovering May was up. But I will admit to being surprised at the <br>direction. ( I think it's ok ; I just wasn't looking at that<br>followup.) <br><br>I was originally expecting something vaguely like <br>the "flight of the Navigators" movie. <br>Instead, Tony showed that you can't escape from home all that easily ( in this case, his homeworld came <br>under invasion. ) <br><br>I just recently noticed the StarHawk picture appearing. <br>It looks rather good. <br><br>I'm wondering if part III will have a "Classic" ending - <br>where everyone wins, or if Tony put any kind of darker spin on it, such as Frodo ending up too burnt in Lord of the Rings. <br><br>Regards, <br><br>--TaoPhoenix

Editor Emeritus

Post May 30, 2004, 10:21:03 PM

This is a far-fetched ridiculous adventure such as I loved to<br>read as a boy in middle of the last century. It was a delight<br>to discover that now as a gray-haired old grandfather, I can<br>still be entertained by this kind of cheeky, unself-conscious<br>storytelling. <br><br>"The Flight of the Starhawk" is a delight and a pleasure to<br>read. I refuse to analyzie it or attempt to improve it. My<br>only advice to Mr. Ragas is this: "Don't stop what you are<br>doing. And don't change anything unless they offer money."
Cary Semar

Editor Emeritus

Post May 30, 2004, 11:21:54 PM

<br>Hi everyone. <br><br>I can't imagine why Cary thinks this is ridiculous, <br>or unlikely. A Kai Numan has been calling me weekly asking for my Planetary Rent. He sounds like a Gilbery Gottfried character. Ouch. <br>(think Iago the Parrot in Disney's Alladdin.) <br><br>All fiction is unlikely, because it's sculpted <br>for effect. (You don't want facts, you want truth, which is something else entirely.) <br><br>If you change a couple of nouns with MS Word, you get a story that has a lot of truth. <br><br>--TaoPhoenix

Commenter

Post May 31, 2004, 03:57:15 PM

Ridiculous Syn: outlandish<br>Outlandish Syn: eccentric<br><br>Eccentric has always been an effective adjective to describe me!<br><br>A “far-fetched, ridiculous adventure” is high praise indeed. Any positive comments on a story such as mine coming from an aerospace engineer are more than I could have hoped for. Geez, if I had read your bio before choosing Aphelion, Cary, I might have been too intimidated to submit! <br><br>Implausible never stopped other such tales from winning the hearts of readers.<br><br>By the way, taoPhoenix, the Kai Numan never call and ask. They just grab you and make you swab the waste disposal tubes!<br><br><br>Tony Ragas

Editor Emeritus

Post June 05, 2004, 01:31:26 PM

<br><br>What would be the point of a rampage without a comment on the TRagas Thread? <br><br>As for Calling vs. Grabbing, I think we have differetn portions of the Kai society mixed up. <br><br>You seem to have described the enforcer contingent. Those guys show up AFTER the warning call. <br>If you are physically in ill health and can't work, they never get paid. <br><br>And what about the "Nerds" of the Kai, you know, the little sensitive guys who always got beat up in school by being forced to lick disposal chutes? <br><br>Be careful of the famous mistake popularized by Star Trek, That All Races Must Have Only One Persona Model. <br>After all, if our race has created both our current <br>Leader-in-Training and the Trash removal Engineer with seven degrees, *ALL* the Kai can't quite be that horrid. <br><br>One of them runs a music store, and has the BEST taste in European Metal I have ever heard. <br><br>--TaoPhoenix

Return to May 2004