Helen in Wonderland by Robert Moriyama

Tell us what you thought about the May 2004 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post May 14, 2004, 02:25:01 PM

Good Job with this one, Robert.<br><br>Can't tell you how much I enjoyed another glimpse into the Mare universe. Characterization and plot were excellent and the martial arts jargon added authenticity in the same way that rapid-fire medical lingo imbues ER with a sense of realism. I'll leave it to the Kung Fubars to pick nits on that count.<br><br>(What? Break a wrist lock with a Floating Hippo? NONSENSE! Bruce would have used the Flatulent Goose!!)<br><br>Not sure if your Moon Cop's TASER was a beam weapon or if it shoots little darts but six-fold gravity would only affect the trajectory of one of these.<br><br>I really like the idea that folks can end up at the Mare Inebrium completely by accident. Could explain a few things. . .Jimmy Hoffa, Ambrose Bierce, etc.<br><br>All in all, Robert, an excellent edition to the Mare collection.<br><br>Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Senior Editor

Post May 14, 2004, 10:21:23 PM

Re: Helen in Wonderland by Robert Moriyama

I really like the idea that folks can end up at the Mare Inebrium completely by accident. Could explain a few things. . .Jimmy Hoffa, Ambrose Bierce, etc.
Bill Wolfe
<br><br> Actually, Claude had a story where he goes to the Mare VIA a doorway between the Men's and the Ladies' restrooms in an un-named local tavern. The door is only sometimes there. He wound up meeting me there and I told him to re-write the story when it got to be too much of a trip down memory lane. Dunno if he'll ever re-work it, but the "you *can* get there from here" concept is his. Funny how he gave us Bruce and the temporary doorway, both. I gotta start changing my passwords when he comes over. LOL!<br><br>Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Editor Emeritus

Post May 15, 2004, 08:35:09 PM

Actually, Claude had a story where he goes to the Mare VIA a doorway between the Men's and the Ladies' restrooms in an un-named local tavern. The door is only sometimes there. ...
Dan
<br><br>Ain't no such thing as an original idea. Anyway, as I said in the story, the Mare is a regular hangout for time travellers, interdimensional travellers (has C'thulhu ever made an appearance? Would anyone notice if he/it did?), and (probably) gods, demons, etc. (or what people have labelled as such). Space-time is probably seriously bent there, so it isn't all that surprising that people and things and thing-like people and people-like things might literally stumble into the place.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Critic

Post May 16, 2004, 08:26:45 AM

Great story, as usual Robert. My only question, and sorry for sounding naive, but who were the kids in the time bubble supposed to be? The man with the long scarf, I know, but I couldn't figure out the kids.<br><br>Kevin

Editor Emeritus

Post May 16, 2004, 10:47:38 AM

... who were the kids in the time bubble supposed to be?

Kevin
<br><br>They were from D.C. Comics's Legion of Super-Heroes. The Time Bubble has been used throughout the comic's several lifetimes. The kid who used magnetic powers to cheat at games was Cosmic Boy; the blonde who acted as translator and erased the bad guy's memory was Saturn Girl; the green guy was Brainiac 5. Of course, they are nameless in the story due to the usual copyright infringement concerns. (I guess "Katherine Janeway" got to keep her name in another Mare story because the Star Trek franchise has been tolerant of fan fiction (wisely, as fans have kept the Trek universe alive for decades).)<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Critic

Post May 16, 2004, 10:57:23 AM

They were from D.C. Comics's Legion of Super-Heroes.
<br><br>As Homer Simpson likes to say, DOH!. I thought that is who you were talking about, but got confused with the line, <br><br>"Helen could swear that their lip movements were out of synch with their speech, and the blonde girl seemed to be concentrating hard on something whenever the others spoke." <br><br>Kevin<br>

Junior Critic

Post May 16, 2004, 12:25:15 PM

Well, the DC Comics reference went over my head, but I finished this story to the end and enjoyed it.

Senior Editor

Post May 16, 2004, 03:34:00 PM

(has C'thulhu ever made an appearance? Would anyone notice if he/it did?), and (probably) gods, demons, etc. (or what people have labelled as such). Space-time is probably seriously bent there, so it isn't all that surprising that people and things and thing-like people and people-like things might literally stumble into the place.

Robert M.
<br><br>Robert,<br>Just prod Wishbone some and get him to finish his 2nd Mare story. I've been waiting over a year for him to be able to finish it. It has some of the best description of the Mare's private bar for dieties, heroes, and writers that anyone has ever submitted. Wishbone does a great job of <br>bringing the Pantheon room to life. <br>And you're right, in the Mare Inebrium space-time isn't just bent- its seriously warped. :)<br>But it's warped by design. I made the rule myself: *Anything* can happen there, *anyone* can be there at any given time. Jeff & Rob used a scene in their novel "Galaxy & 5th" that established the Mare Inebrium as one of the few nexus points of all possible timelines. (I hope they get that one sold. Its a great story! I hated having to delete it from Aphelion's Archives so they could shop it around.) In "Sheffield's Eleventh" Jeff established that some parts of the building can move, even defy topology, as well as giving a look into the hidden background of the Mare. In "Be the Cat" Bill Wolfe dug even deeper into areas the characters at the bar never see. There are more examples. Each Mare story contributes *something* to the mythos. That's one of the fun parts of the game.<br>As to the Mare/Trek crossovers; we just barely get in under the wire as satire. Otherwise, Paramount would have sued me the week the story went online. I always point new Mare writers toward Rob Wynne's "Yesterday's Glory" as a study in how to make *really* subtle character references.<br>The HP Lovecraft of the Mare Inebrium Mythos, ;)<br>Dan<br>
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."

Senior Critic

Post May 19, 2004, 10:09:45 PM

I haven't been kicking around Aphelion for too long, so I'm not familiar with Mare Inebrium. Even so, I enjoyed the story. Helen in Wonderland was a delightful mix of nonsensical humor, technobabble, kungfubabble, and weird space creatures--all adding up to an enjoyable escape from reality. <br>
A really good story can compensate for less-than-brilliant writing, but brilliant writing will not save a bad story.

Senior Critic

Post May 19, 2004, 10:18:12 PM

Ain't no such thing as an original idea.  Robert M.
<br><br>Ecclesiastes 1:9 says pretty much the same thing.  Basically it says that everything has already been said and done "...and there is nothing new under the sun."<br>
Last edited by dsullivan on May 19, 2004, 11:50:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.
A really good story can compensate for less-than-brilliant writing, but brilliant writing will not save a bad story.

Editor Emeritus

Post May 19, 2004, 11:08:36 PM

Ecclesiastes 1:9 says pretty much the same thing. Basically it says that everything has already been said and done "...and there is nothing new under the sun."
<br><br>Speaking of which, have you read the Roger Zelazny classic story, "A Rose for Ecclesiastes"?

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post May 19, 2004, 11:42:47 PM

Speaking of which, have you read the Roger Zelazny classic story, "A Rose for Ecclesiastes"?
<br><br>Not yet. But Zelazny is one of my favorites, and I'll make it a point to look it up.

Master Critic

Post June 02, 2004, 02:31:35 PM

excellent story and a solid read. just watched animatrix a couple of days ago, and was still in a virtual, what-is-real mood when reading this, so it all fit.<br>frankly, that's why i figured the magnetism boy was that kid from the matrix quipping "there is no spoon"...<br>anyway, good to see more MI stuff, it's an intirguing concept. the bar was also highly convincing, and kinda made me hanker for a drink. so it's off to mos eisley then?<br><br>Lee

Senior Editor

Post June 02, 2004, 03:59:21 PM

Re:  Helen in Wonderland by Robert Moriyama

anyway, good to see more MI stuff, it's an intirguing concept. the bar was also highly convincing, and kinda made me hanker for a drink. so it's off to mos eisley then?

Lee
<br>You'll be pleased to know that Claude Hopper's first attempt at a Mare Inebrium story, begun in 1999, has just been re-written well enough to make the June Issue of Aphelion. And I have just re-edited the Mare Inebrium story page to include the story blurbs as well as a some titles of works in progress.<br>I've been collecting all the Mare stories so far on a CD-ROM, along with the starter kit/writer's bible and the Mare concept page. If I had a CD labeling kit, I'd offer these discs to new series writers for the price of postage. But since I don't I'll instead point out that anyone can do this if they have a CD burner and save the complete webpage instead of just the HTML version. Of course, you wouldn't get the files of the works-in-progress that I have. But on the bright side; Wishbone messaged me this morning that he is going to try and finish the Mare story that he has been working on for a long time. You folks are in for a treat. <br>There are nearly 55 Mare Inebrium stories so far... I expect that Wishbone's story will spark off another wave of creativity. <br>P.S. Claude can't wait to hear what everyone thinks of his first story finally seeing the light of day. He started this one a long time before I accepted the story about Bruce, but he couldn't get it where I liked it until now. I've made him re-write this sucker 7 times now, that I can remember. And that's not counting the times we just talked it over. He swiped Bruce from my series notes and wrote a good story, so getting this story right was his punishment for not letting *me* write that story. Or whatever story with Bruce in it that I would have written... eventually.. one day... maybe quite soon, but I'm really busy... I've got so much to do and no place to hide... ;)<br> Maybe Rob should start a Mare Inebrium thread that doesn't depend on what issue a story was in. Yeah, and an Aphelion News thread, where I can post teasers of what's upcomming, like the new "Nightwatch" series that's premering in the June issue. Or when Rob's next Bert story is going to see the light of day. (Everyone beg him to write it, please! He's been putting it off for far too long.) <br>Dan<br>
Last edited by Vila on June 02, 2004, 04:01:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Master Critic

Post June 03, 2004, 06:13:13 PM

seven times..ooh, brutal. the CD sounds awesome as well, why not go mainstream and publish the thing for everybody to enjoy?<br><br>Lee

Senior Editor

Post June 04, 2004, 08:19:59 AM

Oh, the CD *is* pretty cool. I redid some graphics for an index page. And all the illos for the stories are intact. I intend to keep tweaking it until I get it set the way I want.<br>As for selling the thing- the Trek references in several of the stories would get me sued! Online and free is one thing, selling hardcopies is quite another. And there are other similar situations with other copyrighted characters. The only way it would work would be if I re-edited each story to make those problem character references more vague. Otherwise, I'd have to leave some stories out. I hate to do that, some of them are important to the series. <br>My favorite part about editing the series is when writers add to the mythos. They ask me questions and force me to invent answers. Then they look over my answers, take what appeals to them, and *run* with it! Gives me a really good feeling.<br>Dan<br>

Editor Emeritus

Post June 05, 2004, 12:21:04 PM

<br>I'll add coments in stages, because there's been work on this topic when I wasn't looking. <br><br>A CD labeling kit is as inexpensive as being willin to use SQUARE labels instead of round ones, then you buy the labels from Staples for about $7, and MicroSatan Excel can correctly space the text :) <br><br>You could probably get Xlibris to do a workup, but that costs you money to start, vs speculation on how many sales you might get. <br><br>And the third option is Parnassus, the traditional Publishing Mountain, but I wonder if the leeway we have might cause some trouble with a few stories if you went full commercial. <br><br>So Does Dan want to do the WORK of burning Mare CD's for members.... That's the real question. <br>(His health already failed under the strain of Apehelion once.) <br><br>hmm. <br><br>--TaoPhoenix

Editor Emeritus

Post June 05, 2004, 12:28:37 PM

<br>Mare might start to have the problem Trek eventually did ... <br><br>Once you prove a resource to extricate oneself out of trouble , it theoretically becomes known in the Mare universe for having just that effect. <br><br>I understand, but am saddened by, writers who create plot devices, and force themselves to overlook at particularly subtle trick discovered erlier that would "take the fun out of the danger". <br><br>"Well, You could shoot Dan, and reincarnate him through the Unicorn Dupliation Ritual, using the organic remains of a half finished Steak plate and a molecular reconfiguration software. The software is created from a live subject, therefore it predated the pain of the bullet, and so Dan will not recall any pain either. So if Dan didn't die, and never recalls being shot, it's not murder. Defense rests." <br><br>--TaoPhoenix

Master Critic

Post June 15, 2004, 03:33:15 PM

sorry for taking my sweet time in posting...Dan, is the possibility of approaching copyright holders with an eye for a collaborative effort even feasible?<br><br>Lee

Critic

Post September 11, 2004, 11:28:18 AM

"Well, You could shoot Dan, and reincarnate him through the Unicorn Dupliation Ritual, using the organic remains of a half finished Steak plate
<br><br>Ah yes, but what if it were a moose steak rather than a beef steak? That completely changes the equation, and that's not even taking into account Heinz 57 sauce. :P<br><br>Kevin<br>

Senior Editor

Post September 12, 2004, 08:07:34 AM

sorry for taking my sweet time in posting...Dan, is the possibility of approaching copyright holders with an eye for a collaborative effort even feasible?

Lee
<br><br>I seriously doubt it. Crossover and walk-on characters in the Mare stories must run to nearly a thousand by now. If not more. I couldn't even afford the lawyer to look up the relevant contact info, much less pay the various copyright holders. As much as I'd like to see a book of Mare stories, or even a CD, I doubt a Mare publication would be feasible unless some publisher condesends to buy some of my other stuff first. *Then* the resources to cut the necessary deals would be available.<br>Dan<br>

Critic

Post September 14, 2004, 04:53:13 PM

I seriously doubt it. Crossover and walk-on characters in the Mare stories must run to nearly a thousand by now.
<br><br>There are quite a number of stories that do not have walk-on characters. Would it not be possible to put a book together that (and I hate to say it) omitted the walk-on stories, or even ask the author of those stories to edit out the walk-on characters, to make it publishable?<br><br>Kevin

Editor Emeritus

Post September 14, 2004, 06:13:00 PM

There are quite a number of stories that do not have walk-on characters. Would it not be possible to put a book together that (and I hate to say it) omitted the walk-on stories, or even ask the author of those stories to edit out the walk-on characters, to make it publishable?
<br>Wouldn't it be more advisable to first start with market research, and measure the size of a potential audience?<br><br>I spent some time as a marketing manager. That's usually the first step in a successful strategy.<br><br>(I didn't mean it! That just slipped out! I'm still one of the Creative guys! Get away from me with that wooden steak... AAAAHH!)<br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Editor Emeritus

Post September 14, 2004, 07:53:21 PM

Wouldn't it be more advisable to first start with market research, and measure the size of a potential audience?

I spent some time as a marketing manager. That's usually the first step in a successful strategy.

(I didn't mean it! That just slipped out! I'm still one of the Creative guys! Get away from me with that wooden steak... AAAAHH!)

Nate
<br><br>Wooden steak? See what comes of restricting beef imports from Canada?<br><br>Robert M.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post September 14, 2004, 09:08:03 PM

Wooden steak? See what comes of restricting beef imports from Canada?
<br>Doh!<br><br>[Chagrin]<br>That's what I get for typing while I'm hungry. :-[
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Senior Editor

Post September 14, 2004, 09:58:33 PM

There are quite a number of stories that do not have walk-on characters. Would it not be possible to put a book together that (and I hate to say it) omitted the walk-on stories, or even ask the author of those stories to edit out the walk-on characters, to make it publishable?

Kevin
<br><br>I'm not that desperate for a book, to want to cut half the appeal of the series. Its the individual writer's take on the bar that determines how its populated. I always recommend Rob Wynne's Mare story as the example of how the best walk-on/crossover character references are done. And some of the Mare writers have taken note. Some are driven by a different vision, however.<br>Dan<br>

Return to May 2004