RNA By Gary Beck

Tell us what you thought about the August 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post August 03, 2007, 05:15:19 PM

RNA By Gary Beck

Much is written about the importance of a really good first paragraph to a story, but we rarely hear from the 'how to' folks about how the ending can make or break the entire thing. As readers, we should know that the true worth of any story lies in how it sticks with you once you're done with it. Does it make you think? Does it plague you with questions even after you've read the next three shorts?

RNA was a perfect example of that old saw: Leave 'em wanting more. It's the best ending line for anything that I've read in some time. I found it absolutely startling how that one sentence added so much depth and meaning to everything that came before.

I also found the story to be a balanced blend of internal and external exposition. We learned a lot about both the person and the society in which he lived and we did so in a well-paced, entertaining and interesting compact little tale.

I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Bill Wolfe
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Editor Emeritus

Post August 06, 2007, 08:28:04 PM

Re: RNA By Gary Beck

The astonishing coincidence of this story coming to the top of the to-read pile when Michael Moore's "Sicko" is in theaters must surely indicate that This Story Was Destined To Be Read, NOW. And Joel's dead-on, matter-of-fact depiction of how even The Insured (in a nation where many are UnInsured) will have to settle for less and poorer treatment than the elite may well be more convincing than Moore's over-the-top presentation.

But how frustrating it must be for our fallen sort-of-hero to learn that even the one good thing about his tier-three entitlement is less than it seems (in terms of dating potential, anyway). (Now, if he could get Six, from 'Tripping the Rift', to provide home care, he might not CARE that she wasn't entirely real...)

RM
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post August 17, 2007, 07:38:40 PM

Re: RNA By Gary Beck

A thoughtful and unfortunately accurate prediction on the takeover of HMO medicine by bureaucrats motivated only by cost cutting. We see it now to some extent in our specialty clinics clinics and becoming more pervasive by the day. I receive a half-inch thick envelope of new Medicare regulations each month. Its primary value is that it's recyclable.
When I saw the title, I thought, oh good, a ribonucleic acid story. Instead, a Registered Nurse AI made her appearance. How soon will we see robotic surgeons?
The little dig at football universities, i.e. USC &Notre Dame, was neat.

gino

Return to August 2007