Poem: Cheney Cheney

Tell us what you thought about the August 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post August 02, 2007, 08:51:51 PM

I chanced upon Richard Tornello's brilliant little poem, which reminds me of my own small efforts in the Word Substitution specialty. The trick to these boils down to who happens to be thinking exactly THAT and get there first with the completed entry.

I probably have four copies of the original in my collection, because I acquired a batch of older Intro-Lit texts for a comparison project once. I'm also aware of Cheney's shenanigans... but I wasn't thinking Exactly That, ... and Richard was.

My only comment: the title has the word "lying" ... but the title line of the poem uses the word "deceiving!?"

Master Critic

Post August 03, 2007, 12:05:40 AM

so does this mean Cheney isn't a mortal being? sorry, didn't get it!

Editor Emeritus

Post August 04, 2007, 02:22:19 PM

Re: Poem: Cheney Cheney

If I understand the author right, Cheney is *all too mortal*, and thus has fallen prey to mortality's vices. Stated cautiously, Cheney has orchestrated many of the administration's iconic policies. Besides Iraq, the administration has rolled back the edges of fundamental speech rights in America.

It seems I still missed a nuance after the initial couple of readings. The reason: I did not understand the original enough! Today, I found the following remarks which only serve to add weight to the triple play that Mr. Tornello must have caught on to.

http://www.e-scoala.ro/engleza/blake_songs.html

The lead paragraph is a good start:

"William Blake – Songs of Innocence and Experience - Analysis

Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience (1794) juxtapose the innocent, pastoral world of childhood against an adult world of corruption and repression; while such poems as "The Lamb" represent a meek virtue, poems like "The Tyger" exhibit opposing, darker forces. Thus the collection as a whole explores the value and limitations of two different perspectives on the world. Many of the poems fall into pairs, so that the same situation or problem is seen through the lens of innocence first and then experience. Blake does not identify himself wholly with either view; most of the poems are dramatic--that is, in the voice of a speaker other than the poet himself. Blake stands outside innocence and experience, in a distanced position from which he hopes to be able to recognize and correct the fallacies of both. In particular, he pits himself against despotic authority, restrictive morality, sexual repression, and institutionalized religion; his great insight is into the way these separate modes of control work together to squelch what is most holy in human beings."

Master Critic

Post August 14, 2007, 11:39:08 PM

hmmm thanks for that tao, but read it again and still not sure if i know what's going on.

plus, personally i never accept that one person can be that influential. if the man's all too mortal and susceptible to the fallacies of humanity, then he obviously has weaknesses and can't possibly be so omnipotent as to dictate policy and such. it always takes a whole confluence of factors, people and societal forces to concoct anything of that scale and magnitude.

i.e, pinning anything on Cheney is a bit awkward to my thinking. and trust me, i'm not a fan of the guy per se.

Senior Critic

Post August 20, 2007, 08:53:24 PM

Hello all! :)

I must put my two cents worth in here.  I won't comment on Cheney's mortality or morality (I think the poem questioned that enough), but I will say that I thought that this poem was a good piece of satire and parody.

Cheers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!"

Master Critic

Post August 22, 2007, 06:00:48 AM

hey there RHFay.

parody? i really didn't think so. but then again, i did not get this one at all.

WebMaven

Post August 22, 2007, 06:46:10 AM

hey there RHFay.

parody? i really didn't think so. but then again, i did not get this one at all.

You might find it useful to review this poem by William Blake:

http://www.bartleby.com/101/489.html

Senior Critic

Post August 22, 2007, 12:32:53 PM

Just like "Weird Al" parodies many popular songs, so does "Cheney Cheney, Lying Might" parody Blake's "The Tyger".  That happens to be one of my favourite poems, so I recognized the parody right away.

Master Critic

Post August 24, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

ah ok, now it makes more sense. forgive the ignorant..

Senior Critic

Post August 24, 2007, 12:25:18 PM

Ignorance with a willingness to learn is forgivable. Ignorance without a willingness to learn is down right dumb! ;)

Editor Emeritus

Post August 24, 2007, 02:10:57 PM

Ignorance with a willingness to learn is forgivable.  Ignorance without a willingness to learn is down right dumb! ;)

And ignorance with the ability to deny and denounce the facts when they are presented to you (because they came from a "special interest group" with a "sense of entitlement") qualifies you to be a talk radio host or political "leader". :P
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post August 30, 2007, 06:16:05 AM

willingness to learn won't get you very far in this world, me's afraid.

look at the majority of people...they never learn but skirt along just fine. they certainly ain't here with us!

Return to August 2007