Trouble on Gaq 7 by Thomas Lee Joseph Smith

Tell us what you thought about the August/September 2006 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post August 30, 2006, 12:18:48 PM

good to see slapstick comedy in a sci fi context, thought those were extinct.

very funny and verbose humor, full of nice little touches like Dalton and Percy coming in a rocket ship!

not much to say aside from good work, highly enjoyable and made me laugh out loud a few times. it started out serious enough but pretty soon snuck its humorous intentions on you with subtle grace.

one thing i didn't get was how big exactly Bleet was supposed to be, it seemed to change. never mind, when he said "I die repeatedly" i was rolling on the floor.

for some reason i pictures Percy and Dalton as Christopher and Tony from the Sopranos..not sure why but it worked for me!

Lee
Last edited by neoadorable on August 30, 2006, 12:24:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Editor Emeritus

Post August 30, 2006, 01:02:04 PM

Re: Trouble on Gaq 7 by Thomas Lee Joseph Smith

This one reminded me of Eric Frank Russell, except in this case, the humans were the buffoons. Or maybe Gumby Meets the Three -- er, Two Stooges? As for Bleet's size -- it sounds like you could make him taller if you nailed his feet to the floor and pulled up on his chin. (One of the few things that they DIDN'T do to him ...)

Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post August 31, 2006, 11:34:41 AM

good call, Bleet was somewhat of an elastic quantity.

and why do you say the humans were buffoonish? to me they seemed very well-intentioned but extremely out of context. on Earth their actions would have been remarkably caring. that's probably the moral of the story for me: that according to the author care simultaneously is and isn't universal: while they almost killed the dude with care, in the end him and his people still didn't resent them.

Lee

Critic

Post October 14, 2006, 03:33:52 AM

Re: Trouble on Gaq 7 by Thomas Lee Joseph Smith

While everyone else is busy writing my story, I've got time to catch up on a couple I missed.

This one was well written, but not being a fan of slapstick I had to question the premise of a first-contact mission manned by two such inept humans.  Over all though, the quality of the writing won out over the daftness.

Gareth

Return to August/September 2006