Distributed Logic by Jesse Gordon

Tell us what you thougth about the November 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post December 11, 2005, 11:10:04 PM

just started reading it, and already hooked, much like this Bryan dude's hooked on The Sims-esque alter-reality.<br><br>i think Jesse's greatest acheivement here is taking a topic that's generally considered passe these days (was hot ten years ago+) and making it seem perfectly relevant and par-for-the-course. i mean, typically the words "virtual reality" would make one giggle nowadays, but not herein. it helps that the writing's tight, characters appropriate, and background info delivered unobtrusively (via newscasts, a classic but it works).<br><br>the mix of quasi-1984/Orwellian social and political values with Matrix technology once again proves its merit in words and story. it just works every time in the right hands. will post more as i progress in the tale.<br><br>to life virtually immortal!<br><br>Lee

Master Critic

Post December 18, 2005, 01:56:37 PM

tell me please that this was published in a million different venues, or at least is being made into a segment in animatrix 2...truly brilliant, enjoyed every aspect of it, and the surreal/real ending was a bona fide coup de grace.<br><br>too bad i'm writing all this to myself like the last man on earth, even the author won't respond...<br><br>Lee

Commenter

Post December 19, 2005, 10:43:30 AM

Re: Distributed Logic by Jesse Gordon

Thanks a million for taking the time to read / comment on "Distributed Logic". :) I was hopeful the ending would work without being too typical, too "easy". I wanted Bryan to achieve a kind of evolution, but not necessarily the, er, "orthodox" kind. LOL<br><br>(By the way, sorry I took a little while to post a reply; I was having trouble registering. LOL)<br><br>Again, thanks for your kind words, and thanks to the Aphelion staff for accepting the story. :)
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending." --Bender, Futurama ep. 212

Master Critic

Post December 22, 2005, 11:14:15 PM

I too found this story to be a true surprise. <br><br>To tell the truth, I think I skipped it without realizing it. I thought I had read all the stories in the November issue and when I saw a comment on the Lettercol, I went back to make sure. And Yep, it was like an early Christmas present. <br><br>I thought I was in for a little Cyberpunk nostalgia but I was wrong. This was much better than most of that genre and with characters which were fleshed out extraordinarily well. They were good characters. . .there just wasn't much to them.<br><br>And better yet, this futuristic society was explained much better than most. I had no trouble connecting the dots and seeing where this thing was going. Obviously the kid was going to escape and start some kind of counterevolutionary movement to overthrow the evils of the internet.<br><br> HA HA HAAAAA<br><br><br>Man, was I wrong. It showed some character by the Author to pass up the 'easy' ending and have the kid climb back into the belly of the beast.<br><br>Great stuff with good structure, believable characters and a real kicker at the end. I read this thing days ago and can't stop thinking about it.<br><br>Uh. . .I think I liked it and I am sooo glad I didn't let this one slip away.<br><br><br>Bill
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Commenter

Post December 24, 2005, 02:13:24 PM

Thanks a bunch for reading, Bill - and thanks for the kind words. I'm so glad this story worked for you. It's always better to be more like a Christmas present than a Christmas jinx. :p <br><br>Merry Christmas, everyone. :)
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending." --Bender, Futurama ep. 212

Master Critic

Post December 28, 2005, 01:58:55 AM

<br>true, what made it stand out were the characters and also the environment. you could easily feel it and be convinced that it's all very plausible. impressive.<br><br>Lee

Commenter

Post December 28, 2005, 06:41:13 PM

As I think I mentioned to Bill, it's sometimes difficult to get a hold on the "overall" in a story. In such cases I'll try starting on a very personal level and branching out from there until the thing's complete.<br><br>As for plausibility, I'm probably more optimistic than my muse lets on. LOL I think most people would draw the line somewhere before such technological integration becomes mainstream - but sometimes you just wonder. Especially when you hear those news stories every now and then concerning gamer deaths. *shudder*

Return to November 2005