Raising Father Kilpatrick By Terry Dartnall

Tell us what you thought about the May 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Senior Critic

Post May 27, 2005, 11:17:14 AM

Raising Father Kilpatrick By Terry Dartnall

Thought this was a pretty cool sort of yarn even without following all the lore or digging too deeply for any subtext. <br><br>Kind of an episode, so I wondered if it might be part of some larger work. Though it could be that just it's drawing on a vast folklore.<br><br>Liked the writing style (could see some of the images/scenes as woodcuts) and gotta love any character named Lupus.<br><br>Dan E.<br><br><br>Dan E.

Master Critic

Post June 07, 2005, 11:28:17 PM

Re: Raising Father Kilpatrick By Terry Dartnall

This one definitely felt like an excerpt from a larger work. It left me with more questions than answers, which on a positive note meant that it kept me interested. However, the story seemed much too short. Just when I was getting interested in the characters, it ends.<br><br>The writing style was fairly clean. The mythology behind the story seemed to be an bizarre amalgam of Norse, Christian, and Irish influences. There may have been a couple others peppered in, but the author somehow blends it all together. I would be interested how well this functions in a longer piece.<br><br>Overall, I enjoyed the story. I just wish there was more of it.
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Commenter

Post June 13, 2005, 03:38:43 AM

Re: Raising Father Kilpatrick By Terry Dartnall

I liked this piece, but felt it did'nt really have a point. Too many things mentioned are left totally unexplained.<br><br>The mythology mix is interesting, and I especially liked the use of Iranian mythology because thats my background. Ahriman is the force of evil in the world (a pseudo devil like individual) according to the Zoroastrian faith. <br><br>All in all a good read, but one that left me a little bit in the dark.
Last edited by javanmard on June 13, 2005, 03:43:21 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to May 2005