The Day the Leash Gave Way by Trent Zelazny

Tell us what you thought about the May 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Senior Critic

Post May 24, 2005, 08:59:11 PM

The Day the Leash Gave Way by Trent Zelazny

I wasn’t sure how to categorize this story. It’s speculative, I think, yet none of the speculative genres--scifi, fantasy, and horror-- seem to fit. There does seem to be a surreal air about the story, yet it could be mainstream. The story makes too much sense to call it literary.<br><br>I had a problem with suspension of disbelief because I had a hard time believing that so many kooky characters could come together at the same time under the same roof. There were five characters, and every single one of them were nuts. The sanest of the group, the protag and POV character, was a cross dresser who got his jollies when a boy peed on his shoes.<br><br>In spite of all this--or maybe because of it, I really thought the story was fun, and never lost interest throughout. The ending was satisfying, I guess. The kid goes home with a man who is aroused by young boys, but that situation is much better than the one the kid left--a weirdo dad, a dead dog for a playmate, and a dead mom full of sawdust.<br><br>A fun read.<br><br>Donald<br><br><br><br><br>
Last edited by dsullivan on May 25, 2005, 09:09:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.
A really good story can compensate for less-than-brilliant writing, but brilliant writing will not save a bad story.

Editor Emeritus

Post May 27, 2005, 10:17:15 AM

Re: The Day the Leash Gave Way by Trent Zelazny

In my acceptance note, I said that I liked the story's 'Kentucky Fried weirdness' (or something like that). What more could one want?<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Commenter

Post June 01, 2005, 07:46:54 AM

Okay, this was the first story I've ever read on this site, and I read it allowed to my friend, not really knowing exactly what to expect. At first I was just shocked at what I was reading, but I just couldn't stop. I just kept thinking, "it can't get any weirder, it can't get any weirder..." but it did. Constantly.<br><br>By the time we'd finished reading all the way through, we slowly began to realize that we loved it. It kind of creeps me out, how much I really like this story. The POV was fairly original, despite the fact that the "my wife died so I stuffed her and still have sex with her" thing has been done.<br><br>Gah, I'm still slightly freaked out about how much I liked that story...

Senior Editor

Post June 01, 2005, 01:36:26 PM

"it can't get any weirder, it can't get any weirder..." but it did. Constantly.

Gah, I'm still slightly freaked out about how much I liked that story...
<br><br>I think most of the story's readers felt exactly the same way. But I imagine that they are a bit more reticent to admit it. Myself, being a much more openly perverse entity than most individuals, giggled from start to finish. For some reason, it reminded me of a '60s Drive-In movie. Not any particular one, but the genre itself.<br>Dan<br>
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Editor Emeritus

Post June 05, 2005, 05:12:41 PM

This piece was just shocking and horrific that I hope it's literary and everything here really stands for something else.<br><br>As such, there's no point in me deconstructing it, but let me say that I'm glad that this writer didn't follow my usual advice and use all the senses to describe everything in concrete detail. <br><br>Nate<br><br>PS. The twisted side of me was sad that the cops weren't really from the International Union of Taxidermists, and didn't want scab work around.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Senior Critic

Post June 05, 2005, 07:28:05 PM

Overall, this piece read well; a blend of some surreal elements with an accessible, if morally challenging, story.<br><br>It would seem that by the ending, the two surviving characters' troubles are only just beginning. <br><br>I did have a few quibbles:<br><br>Sam has maybe a bit too much going on. It asks a lot of a reader to accept a pedophiliac, urophiliac, transvestite (not that there's anything wrong with it). The reveal on the transvestism was great. The urophilia, well, maybe that wasn't necessary. This has nothing to do with finding that particular paraphilia too shocking or outrageous. It's more about its utility in the story. By the time I got to the end I wasn't sufficiently creeped out at the protagonist's decision to take the boy. And I think that should be sinister and disturbing, even in this kind of story.<br><br>On a more practical note, wouldn't Arkham and Ketcher have notified Kelly of his winning? Mightn't the company have set up some kind of photo-op? And isn't there usually some kind of catch to such a drawing? I'm only asking cuz I don't know how such contests work. <br><br>Anyway, a bold bit of writing and a bold bit of editorial stewardship.<br><br>Dan E.

Master Critic

Post June 06, 2005, 08:24:57 PM

I'm not sure how the think of this story. If there was<br> a moral issure behind it, then I missed it. <br><br> On the positive side, it held my interest for I had to <br> keep reading on! What is going to happen next? <br> Is the mom going to come alive? <br><br> Stories like these are pure entertainment, and this<br> did entertain me!! ;)
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to May 2005