Of Blood and Fire by David Alan Jones

Tell us what you thought about the May 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Senior Critic

Post May 17, 2005, 11:34:21 PM

A good blend of dark fantasy and high fantasy. A vampire and a dragon--a first for me! Of Blood and Fire was a nice story, with a good plot, good pace, and--and as I saw it--all the elements of a good story were there. The ending, if not a happy one, was at least satisfying. <br><br>The story flow was mostly unbroken and easy to follow. The flow was interrupted only once, in the describing of the bath in the hot springs. IMO, this scene didn’t move or contribute to the story.<br><br>The only other quibble I had was that the opening scene was a bit drawn out. The story needed the background giving the hows and whys of Kelysen’s quest, but I thought it stretched out a bit. The story didn’t really start until our intrepid vampire approached the dragon’s lair.<br><br>I did get an education from this story. I learned that a stake in the heart or sunshine are not the only ways to kill a vampire. Being burnt to a crispy critter by a dragon’s breath will also do the trick. :-)<br><br>Donald<br>
A really good story can compensate for less-than-brilliant writing, but brilliant writing will not save a bad story.

Editor Emeritus

Post May 17, 2005, 11:40:53 PM

Re: Of Blood and Fire by David Alan Jones

...I learned that a stake in the heart or sunshine are not the only ways to kill a vampire. Being burnt to a crispy critter by a dragon’s breath will also do the trick. :-)

Donald
<br>See now, if you were a follower of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' or 'Angel', you'd know that decapitation works pretty well -- and that vampires are a wee bit more flammable than living breathing types. (Less liquid sloshing about inside, I guess.)<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post May 18, 2005, 11:35:21 AM

See now, if you were a follower of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' or 'Angel', you'd know that decapitation works pretty well -- and that vampires are a wee bit more flammable than living breathing types. (Less liquid sloshing about inside, I guess.)

Robert M.
<br><br>When it comes to vampires, 'fraid I'm still in the days of Bela Lugosi...<br><br>Donald
A really good story can compensate for less-than-brilliant writing, but brilliant writing will not save a bad story.

Master Critic

Post May 18, 2005, 06:16:11 PM

Thanks for the comments, Donald. <br><br>I shied away from a vampire story at first, knowing all the best ones have been written, but when the idea struck it stuck. I had never read a story about a vampire drinking from a dragon either, so I decided to write it.<br><br>This is actually one of my first stories since I came back to writing in my twenties. It is about five years old. I cleaned up some of the dialogue and rewrote a section or two for its Aphelion debut, but for the most part, it is in original form. I hope it entertains the good readers and writers here.<br><br><br>-- david j.
Check out my blog: http://wp.me/NXsO

DT

Commenter

Post May 26, 2005, 11:02:05 PM

The story flow was mostly unbroken and easy to follow. The flow was interrupted only once, in the describing of the bath in the hot springs. IMO, this scene didn’t move or contribute to the story.
<br>I really thought the flashback to the hot springs added a layer of depth to the characterization. When we think about his absent mother and the prenatal comfort of heat and water, there is created a mother/son narrative between the dragon and the vampire, or perhaps a more perverted bond especially considering the exchange of body fluids and the very descriptive blood sucking experience. It puts the vampire's servitude to the beast into perspective, but perhaps I'm reading too much into this.<br><br>I loved the dark tone of the whole thing. I really felt the fear of the corpulent merchant when Kelysen turns on him and says, "Remember nothing."<br>

Senior Critic

Post May 27, 2005, 12:22:40 AM

I really thought the flashback to the hot springs added a layer of depth to the characterization.  When we think about his absent mother and the prenatal comfort of heat and water, there is created a mother/son narrative between the dragon and the vampire, or perhaps a more perverted bond especially considering the exchange of body fluids and the very descriptive blood sucking experience.  It puts the vampire's servitude to the beast into perspective, but perhaps I'm reading too much into this.

I loved the dark tone of the whole thing.  I really felt the fear of the corpulent merchant when Kelysen turns on him and says, "Remember nothing."
<br><br>I think we're pretty much in agreement about the story except for the bath scene. Just goes to show that different critters can see the same thing from different perspectives. <br><br>BTW, DT doesn't stand for "delirium tremens," does it? :-)<br>

Senior Critic

Post June 04, 2005, 09:12:52 PM

Great writing. <br><br>I would agree with Don, given that this is a short story, that the first scene was a bit long; however, I thought it really well done. I also partially agree with Don about the flashback, if only because it was also a bit long. But I agree with DT that the scene adds a bit of depth to Kelysen.<br><br>One puny quibble: Would people from this world know that the moon's countenance was shaped by meteor strikes? Maybe Kelysen's 800+ years has afforded him a certain degree of wisdom, but that tidbit rang a bit hollow for me.<br><br>Anyway, despite Kelysen's fate, I'd read a novel involving these him and the dragon.<br><br>Nice work.<br><br>Dan E.

Commenter

Post June 15, 2005, 04:19:05 PM

I liked this story. :)<br>And I may be in the minority here saying this, but I did not feel the opening tavern scene was too long. It related a lot of back-story without info-dump and even gave some characterization to Kelysan and the merchant. If it was just a prelude to putting the ”bite” on the man, I would agree, but it was all-set up for the real action with the red. <br>You got me and I’m glad to have been surprised. I did not see the dragon’s intentions coming. My only question deals with the connection between the moon god and the vampire’s plan to suck the dragon’s blood. There was not an explicit reason given, or not one I noticed upon reading the story. However there was an implied one – even perhaps an implicit one with the red dragon and not the vamp.<br>Good work all around. I would also look forward to other adventures, too. <br>
'Beowulf's dragon, if one wishes really to criticize, is not to be blamed for being a dragon, but rather for not being dragon enough, plain pure fairy-tale dragon.'
J.R.R. Tolkien, 1936.

Master Critic

Post June 15, 2005, 06:33:25 PM

Thank you very much for the gracious comments.  This story is part of a much larger tale involving several gods, kings, princes, etc., so there is much more backstory then you see here.  I hope to write many more using the same world.<br><br>As far as Kel's motives, he was not put up to drinking the blood of a dragon by his god. He did it purely for the chance at increasing his own power, which he did with a price. <br>-- david j.
Last edited by davjonz on June 15, 2005, 06:40:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my blog: http://wp.me/NXsO

Return to May 2005