The Myth of Rain by Daniel C. Smith

Tell us what you thought of the April 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

WebMaven

Post April 02, 2007, 10:10:01 PM

Wow. This is Hobbsian dystopia writ large from the headlines, and a dire warning of what may be to come. The ending is brutal and quick with its twist, and I find myself unsettled by the sparse but very effective sketch of the world presented, as seen through the eyes of a father trying desperately to hold on to what little he has left.

I'm reminded of another effective treatment of this idea, Zander Nyrond's song No Such Thing.

Well done.

Critic

Post April 10, 2007, 08:12:36 AM

Re: The Myth of Rain by Daniel C. Smith

I thought the father's desperation and resignation came across very well.  A trifle depressing though!

Gareth
Last edited by GDJ on April 10, 2007, 08:12:52 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Master Critic

Post April 12, 2007, 10:27:17 AM

While reading this story the only thought that dominated my mind was what I’d do in a world as described in the story. Yes, I could see how futile dreams about that future might be, and Sara’s future certainly appeared bleak.

A post apocalyptic world has many advantages for a writer: Usually society, the environment, and life as we once knew it now exists somewhere between tainted to complete destruction. A true jungle in which the writer’s imagination can freely exercises itself beyond preconceived or rational boundaries, in short, anything is possible.

A story about a father who knows what destiny will bring. And his daughter who dreams of a time she never knew, but wishes for.

Overlooking a few typos, the writing assumed a  professional quality for it was easy to read with no sharp jumps or wrong word picks. And it had a nice rhythm.

“In today’s world, dreaming was useless, but daydreaming was distracting, and therefore deadly.” ---------A passage near the end of the story.

Very nice thought! Bits of philosophy sprinkled though-out a story gives the story a sense of depth and dimension.

I liked it!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Editor Emeritus

Post April 14, 2007, 07:07:53 AM

Good atmosphere, good hook, good prose.

Terrible ending! This new generation of pessimistic Aphelion writers is gettin' me down!

I hope I can get through this issue without comitting suicide!
:-X
Cary Semar

Master Critic

Post April 24, 2007, 09:07:49 AM

ah but the pessimism is what made Myth such a kick ass story. loved it. and pay close attention to the complete closure in the end.

it played roller coaster with reader expectations and emotions...quite apt considering the horror these two characters faced.

one point i almost forgot to mention: the father acknowledges the guilt all parents share when having children in what is by definition an uncertain world. well done Daniel, almost everyone steers clear from this rather uncomfortable notion. kudos to you!

and note that Myth also wasn't just a regular environmentally-related shot, it specifically avoided giving exact reasons as to why things were that way. we had possible climate change, conspiract and nuclear holocaust all rolled into a couple of sentences. to paraphrase that fresh mint chick: brilliant!

Lee
Last edited by neoadorable on April 24, 2007, 09:11:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Master Critic

Post April 25, 2007, 01:34:53 PM

And continuing with this month's theme of Dystopia...

Not a bad short. Powerful and sad, it was the dream that killed rather than sustained them. The plot comes full circle: the hunter devoured by what he hunted, the haven became a tomb, and the clouds rained fire, not life-giving water. Almost like a fable with a very dire moral.

I loved the title. I thought the prose was a bit clumsy in a few places, but if you read it as a fable, it works out rather nicely.
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Return to April 2007