How the Irish Saved The World by Michael McLaughli

Tell us what you thought of the April 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

WebMaven

Post April 02, 2007, 09:27:11 PM

I must say, to start with, that I loved the title of this story, an obvious riff on the Thomas Cahill book, and the notion that it was the books in the house that put off the invader.

There's a lot of funny bits in this story, but the ending could be punchier. From the time he hears the "banshee" until he's underway seems to drag a bit.

Master Critic

Post April 04, 2007, 08:18:53 PM

Re: How the Irish Saved The World by Michael McLau

Love a light hearted SF story, and this one didn’t disappoint me!!! Well written and almost believable.

Loved it, loved it, loved it!  ------Yes, I really like it!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Master Critic

Post April 19, 2007, 04:57:28 PM

I need to get past my own stereotypes. I really thought it’d be an ethanol laden plot filled mouth garbled brogue. T’aint natural, I’m tellin’ yas!

The concept was sound, although as Rob pointed out, it’s been done before. My initial jokes aside, the writer missed an opportunity to capture the essence of Ireland. Besides the title and use of Irish folklore, you can substitute any other national or regional mythology with the same effect. To me, it seems more of a concept than a fully developed story.
Last edited by Jaimie on April 19, 2007, 04:58:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Master Critic

Post April 24, 2007, 08:48:44 AM

entertaining, well written and am glad we now have author pics to go along with bios!

since i've been reading the entire Colonization series by Turtledove recently, it was good to hear of an alien invasion that got called off due to caution on the part of their commanders...however, these guys didn't really catch my fancy. probably the main attraction here was ol moaning Catherine.

hey, it's always nice to poke fun at the Irish, just wish there was more to it here.

Lee

Master Critic

Post April 24, 2007, 03:38:55 PM

I honestly have to say that I liked this story better when it was called The Space Willies by Eric Frank Russell. Or if you read this in the UK, you might have seen it called Next of Kin.

Still, it was a fun little romp into the pitfalls of attacking anyone when you don't really understand the culture. . .hmmmm. . .seems somebody who lives in an untinted domicile might have benefited from this kind of advice.

Bill
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Master Critic

Post April 26, 2007, 03:08:52 AM

innuendo! untinted domicile? heh nice one.

Lee

Return to April 2007