The Trap Master by Rab Foster

Tell us what you thought about the October 2018 Issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post October 14, 2018, 07:42:08 PM

The Trap Master by Rab Foster

Vivid and engrossing tale, but I found the ending confusing. What happened to the Trap Master? He found the dying harpiya in the trap, then he disappeared. Kayra takes over and no words are exchanged between her and her father.

Could it be that in the finale, Kayra is now the Trap Master and it was her wearing the fur cap? If so, what happened to Kroziar? The author appears to be trying to deceive the reader, then spring a surprise, but it misfired for me.

Sorry about that. I really tried.
Cary Semar

Commenter

Post October 16, 2018, 09:39:20 PM

Re: The Trap Master by Rab Foster

I can understand Cary Semar's being confused by the ending. As for myself, I was expecting that Kayra would become the trap master after that short, sorrowful monologue from her father a couple of paragraphs earlier. So I wasn't really surprised by the reveal. I agree that it could have been handled better.

Otherwise, I liked the story. In fact, I would hope the author is planning a series of such stories to chronicle Kayra's learning the ropes of becoming a trap master and surviving to maturity in a world that even Cugel the Clever would have difficulty navigating.

Commenter

Post October 29, 2018, 11:43:15 AM

Hi,

It's been interesting reading what other people have had to say about the ending of the story. I found myself haunted by it for a few days! I thought the trap master's identity in the final passage had been adequately foreshadowed by the father's talk to his daughter in the previous passage in which he tells her about how sorry he was to only have this 'cruel, filthy trade 'as an inheritance for her.

These lines are what really confirmed it for me: 'Now the mirror glinted with sunlight, which reminded the trap master that bright shiny things were excellent bait if you wanted to ensnare a harpyia....Not that the trap master had ever done that.' We know that Kayra's father had trapped harpyia, so this line only makes sense when in relation to Kayra.

I have to admit, once I read the next paragraph's description of the dying harpyia, tears stung my eye. The rest of the passage is a perfect ending to what is actually a coming-of-age story.

For what it's worth, I'd enjoy a continuation of Kayra's story.

Commenter

Post November 02, 2018, 09:27:45 AM

Good call regarding the continuation of Kayra's story. Her story is the most interesting part of this piece imo.

Return to October 2018