Seashells

Tell us what you thought about the May 2017 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Commenter

Post May 21, 2017, 10:10:38 AM

Seashells

I read this last week and really liked its modern folktale quality. Grandpas always know best and sometimes their stories are not make-believe but true!

One question for the author,or other readers: why does the main character say sorry in the end? Why not thank you?

Editor Emeritus

Post May 21, 2017, 05:10:24 PM

Re: Seashells

KVesi wrote:One question for the author, or other readers: why does the main character say sorry in the end? Why not thank you?

First off, I really liked this story, so I was very glad it could be included in my last batch as Shorts Editor.

Personally, I took the "I'm sorry" to mean sorry for not believing the story was real, for not keeping the family tradition going, for being gone so long, for forcing the serpent to have to rescue the narrator, and perhaps also for the shells that were broken in the narrator's rescue, necessitating their replacement. Any one or all of those things would be good enough to say you were sorry, in my opinion, at least.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Commenter

Post May 22, 2017, 11:00:53 AM

kailhofer wrote:
KVesi wrote:One question for the author, or other readers: why does the main character say sorry in the end? Why not thank you?

First off, I really liked this story, so I was very glad it could be included in my last batch as Shorts Editor.

Personally, I took the "I'm sorry" to mean sorry for not believing the story was real, for not keeping the family tradition going, for being gone so long, for forcing the serpent to have to rescue the narrator, and perhaps also for the shells that were broken in the narrator's rescue, necessitating their replacement. Any one or all of those things would be good enough to say you were sorry, in my opinion, at least.

Now I get it! Thanks for that insight. For some reason, I missed that. So now the tradition of the seashells continue....

Kathleen

Commenter

Post June 02, 2017, 10:06:28 AM

KVesi wrote:One question for the author,or other readers: why does the main character say sorry in the end? Why not thank you?

Hi Kvesi! Thank you for saying you like the story--I'm very new to the realm of writing short stories, so it means a great deal to me!

You can put whatever you want into the "I'm sorry". When I wrote it, it was definitely in line with the majority of Nate's interpretation--the MC as an adult feels guilt for not listening/not being there/not believing his grandpa/etc.

But stories belong to their readers, and what you feel from the meaning of the apology is just as valid as what I felt when writing it. :^)

Thank you again for the kind words!

Return to May 2017