His New Unkown

Tell us what you thought about the April 2017 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Commenter

Post April 24, 2017, 04:49:16 PM

His New Unkown

I read this story last week and I am still thinking about the ending. It's brilliant.

Commenter

Post May 01, 2017, 07:03:16 PM

Re: His New Unkown

:D I worried that many might well hate the ambiguous nature of the ending, but I'm glad it's doing what I hoped it would: causing people to think about just what happened, and then presumably needing therapy when they can never arrive at a decision!

Junior Critic

Post May 03, 2017, 04:55:07 PM

Hence your title... right? I'm glad you left it ambiguous also. It's like in the movie "Contact" where she is given the suicide pill before going into Her New Unknown... and she asks why, and the scientist tells her something like "it's for the thousand things that we know can go wrong and the ten thousand we don't" (paraphrase).

We need to think long and hard every step of the way into our (hopefully) Star Trek future.

Thanks for making us think, and entertaining us in the process!! Great job.
Glenn Diamond

Editor at Large

Post May 03, 2017, 08:55:25 PM

It amused me. Sometimes there is a catharsis in seeing everything go fakakta in a story. Makes you glad you aren't that guy.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Commenter

Post May 03, 2017, 10:41:03 PM

gmdiamond wrote:Hence your title... right? I'm glad you left it ambiguous also. It's like in the movie "Contact" where she is given the suicide pill before going into Her New Unknown... and she asks why, and the scientist tells her something like "it's for the thousand things that we know can go wrong and the ten thousand we don't" (paraphrase).

We need to think long and hard every step of the way into our (hopefully) Star Trek future.

Thanks for making us think, and entertaining us in the process!! Great job.

much obliged! consider it from the point of view of the bots as well. like us, they do the best they can in spite of the fact that there's some annoyingly faulty code that's worked its way into our directive. so they're trying to fulfill a directive that's probably actually more contradictory than just the one instance where a trivial bit of snark got turned into something that seems important to them. Thus, there's a kind of new unknown for the bots too.

Commenter

Post May 03, 2017, 10:46:43 PM

EddieSullivan wrote:It amused me. Sometimes there is a catharsis in seeing everything go fakakta in a story. Makes you glad you aren't that guy.

yes, I'll readily admit that as the story was moving towards the people achieving orbit, I was having a great deal of fun making things worse and worse for them. it's the major reason the story is short and doesn't have a lot of character development. Make these people too three-dimensional and I wind up looking like a sadist for humorously killing most of them (all of them?) off.

Return to April 2017