Best ofs: The Blind Collaborators

Tell us what you thought about the April 2017 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post April 28, 2017, 08:39:08 PM

Best ofs: The Blind Collaborators

I had no idea Lester had selected this one for his Best of list! If you haven't read it, please do. You'll like it.

I wrote two parts of this story, originally as flash pieces: "Armin Arm," and "Jaga and a Smile." Others wrote other parts. I don't remember which parts came from whom anymore, and I was just a contributor in it anyway.

The whole thing was put together by Gareth D. Jones (whom we affectionately referred to as "The Other Gareth"), and I thought the whole thing was just a hoot. None of us knew what the others were writing. Then Gareth, himself now a successful pro published in more different languages than I could count, added a little connective tissue and, bang!, it became one whole story, almost like we had been working together the whole time.

It was a ton of fun, and a good story. The next time he wonders by here I hope he stops in to take another bow for this one, because it's still just as good as back in '07 when we all wrote it.

I always thought a project like this would work again here.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Long Fiction Editor

Post April 29, 2017, 04:18:14 PM

Re: Best ofs: The Blind Collaborators

Clever piece of work! It seemed pretty disjointed at first, and I had a little trouble figuring out jaga, but all in all it turned out to be quite satisfactory.

I wouldn't mind seeing this happen again.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Critic

Post May 08, 2017, 02:16:09 PM

Re: Best ofs: The Blind Collaborators

I was really pleased to see this make a comeback too! I've written 2 more blind collaborations since, both also set on Astropolis. One was published at Perihelion magazine, which I only just realised is the opposite of Aphelion, and one is due to be published at Kaleidotrope. I'd like to do another one day, when inspiration strikes.

Return to April 2017