Welcome to Skull Island by Bart Meehan

Tell us what you thought about the April 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Commenter

Post April 14, 2005, 09:13:05 PM

Welcome to Skull Island by Bart Meehan

Excellent story. A lot of dialog made it move along fast, but there was not so much that the story lacked description. There was a good balance between showing and telling. The kid's behavior was showed; the rational was told. I felt for the father. I was tense at the end, expecting something bad to happen to the kid. I found the ending clever. I would like to see what would happen if Mr. Meehan wrote something more horrific or a thriller. I think he would be good writing an edgy story. Good Story. <br><br>Joshua Scribner

Commenter

Post April 15, 2005, 05:42:44 PM

Re: Welcome to Skull Island by Bart Meehan

I really liked this one as well...I was a divorced single father for a while and I can relate quite a bit to what this guy went through with his son. It was a great story because it really kept you guessing as to what would happen next.

Master Critic

Post April 19, 2005, 10:17:42 AM

This was a good story. There were a few punctuation issues, but pretty well written overall.<br><br>I have to wonder, though... How did they train Kong for that particular trick at the end? Did they, uhm, go through a series of trainers until Kong got it right? Morbid minds would like to know. :)<br>
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Senior Critic

Post April 19, 2005, 11:09:48 PM

For some reason I found the setting very odd. In a good way. It seems like an obvious setting never used before (or has it, I don't know). And it was used to good effect. <br><br>This was like a well-mixed song. The setting could've overwhelmed the plot, but instead, it's banging out a groove behind the sad melody of this divorced dad's life.<br><br>And an offbeat and strangely upbeat ending. <br><br>Good one.<br><br>Dan E.<br><br>

Master Critic

Post May 04, 2005, 02:34:54 PM

This was a fun read. I thought the kid was just a little "too" bratty, but the point was made -- he was spoiled and the father indulged him. <br><br>I really like stories that take old ideas (like Kong) and look at them in new ways. Having Kong so tame he could eat a keeper than spit him back out was funny.<br><br>The denoument left me flat though. I understand that the dad was being runover by his bratty kid, but there was no real resolution within the story; no change from one state to another for the dad. He is just going to go on spoiling his kid to spite his wife. <br><br>Overall I'd give this story a thumb up. Good read, but a little flat at the end.
Check out my blog: http://wp.me/NXsO

Return to April 2005