Post November 24, 2016, 12:31:22 PM

The Takeover by Graham Catt

I, of course, love the premise of the story, and the V vibe. And there were some nice details. For example, I like the way Catt shows us that Sandy and Neil work near a beach both with the name of their branch, "Bayside," and the casual mention of Sandy and Neil walking the beach at lunch. Nicely done.

I do wish more of the story would have been showing instead of telling. Sentences like, "Over the following weeks, Sandy and Neil tried to adjust to the new regime -- there were new tasks, new targets and new procedures to follow, and fewer staff to help." And, "'We went out for dinner last night. She drove home on her own at about 11:00 p.m. I've tried ringing her this morning, but there's no answer. And she's not at work today!'" told me a lot, but they're dry and slow the pace of the story down.

Still, it's a good story and I liked the ending. It certainly made Neil seem more noble than the rest of the story let on, and I definitely liked that bit of character development. And poor Sandy!

Just a couple of ordinary people doing their best in extraordinary circumstances!