Rococo by the Bay by David Alan Jones

Tell us what you thought about the October 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post October 15, 2005, 12:16:52 PM

<br>gotta love these short shorts, and as they go, Rococo was awesome. i think we have a William Gibson in the house, really saw much of the cyberpunkster's influence herein. the language, harsh, machine-gun dialogue and action all fit well, but the ending was a bit too low-key and sudden, even for me.<br>the sawdust was a tantalizing touch...wonder what it was? a drug? kinda like that angel dust-lookalike from Robocop? at first the exchange between the two Blade Runners (heh) and Purn confused me, but upon seond read it clicked into place. very enjoyable!<br><br>Lee

Senior Critic

Post October 16, 2005, 06:43:26 PM

Re: Rococo by the Bay by David Alan Jones

This started off strong but suffered from some overwriting. Much of the metaphorical language was great--really great writing. But it felt crow-barred into this piece in some places. <br><br>Lotta potential with these characters, and the bit of apparent ESP in the opening scene was a nice touch. Further, David offered some compelling details indicating a story to be told of Tom's past.<br><br>If Reese was to be some kind of poet-warrior, with the juxtaposition of his language and balls-out fighting style, it didn't quite gel for me, and I think it was mostly a function of his voice--too, I dunno, bard-ish to ring true for me.<br><br>And it did just kind of end, which I attribute to the sense that this screams to be a much longer piece (and may very well have been culled from something longer, I dunno). <br><br>David has proven to be a talented writer (eg, check out Of Blood and Fire lest anyone doubt me), clearly one who belongs in print (I would read it anyway), but this piece needs a bit of restraint in terms of metaphorical language.<br><br>Dan E.

Master Critic

Post October 18, 2005, 12:33:11 PM

<br>you never know Dan, as you're most assuredly are familair with, ending stories in infinitely trickier than starting them. i guess David kinda gave up on trying to elaborate or something. i'd second what you said tho: this cries out for novelization!<br><br>Lee

Master Critic

Post November 11, 2005, 09:43:30 AM

Thanks much for the comments. From the very few responses I got on this one, I feel that it must be lacking in something. Sometimes stories just don't draw reader interest. I'll try something else ;D
Check out my blog: http://wp.me/NXsO

Master Critic

Post November 13, 2005, 03:07:34 AM

I thought this was a fairly good story. Short yet lyrical. I just watched Sin City on dvd, so this one sort of resonated with me.<br><br>David has a very fluid style. He’s one of the most natural writers I’ve read on Aphelion, and that’s quite a compliment. I’ll need to go back and read his Of Blood and Fire since I missed it (I got married that month... yeah, I know, lame excuse ::)).<br>
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Master Critic

Post November 14, 2005, 12:32:55 PM

come on Dave, wouldn't say it's lacking, read what we said: overall a great short, mostly the end was left wanting.<br><br>Lee

Return to October 2005