Meat Machine by Bill Wolfe

Tell us what you thought about the October 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Junior Critic

Post October 15, 2005, 11:04:29 AM

Meat Machine by Bill Wolfe

Very slick Bill..nice. I think the best stuff is thought provoking, well crafted, and a bit disturbing, and this was all of the above.<br> But let me ask you something, man ( fade to backround of snapping fingers and bongo beats),<br> "What was your inspiration?" 8)

Poetry Editor

Post October 17, 2005, 02:15:01 AM

Re: Meat Machine by Bill Wolfe

It's not often (in fact never before :D) that I ask for cover space for a poem, but this one worked for me. Why? I don't know, to be honest. I'm not normally a fan of blank verse, and I like a bit of rhythm and meter, but this one had something that reached out and grabbed me. The last line chilled me to the bone :D
KNEEL before Zod!

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2005, 04:39:41 PM

But let me ask you something, man ( fade to backround of snapping fingers and bongo beats),
 "What was your inspiration?" 8)
<br><br>I got it from that same post office box as all the others. . .hadn't you heard about it?<br><br>Actually, the inspirations were dual. I lost a coworker to a stupid boating accident and I met the beautiful and talented Kate Thornton. Both had a very deep and personal effect on me.<br><br>And yes, I sent the thing to Kate before I sent it anywhere else because anyone who ever met her will see her in this poem. I made sure to get her permission before farming it out in its present form.<br><br>I never tried to write any poetry before, but this one grabbed me as soon as I started thinking about it. It was one of those weird "must write must write must write" moments that simply could not be denied.<br><br>Glad you found it of value.<br><br>Bill
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Master Critic

Post October 17, 2005, 04:49:33 PM

It's not often (in fact never before :D) that I ask for cover space for a poem, but this one worked for me.  Why?  I don't know, to be honest.  I'm not normally a fan of blank verse, and I like a bit of rhythm and meter, but this one had something that reached out and grabbed me.  The last line chilled me to the bone :D
<br><br>Wormy,<br><br>Hadn't realized the significance of the cover space. I am honored. Truly.<br><br>But. . .you want I should rhyme something?<br><br>I seen 'dis boid<br>He was sittin on 'da coib<br>Just chewin' on some woims<br>And he was choipin'<br><br>How's THAT for rhymin???<br><br>Yeah, I understand the 'just grabbed me' part. I felt the same way when I couldn't get this thing to leave me alone until I sat down and wrote it out. I punched this thing out in about two hours and haven't changed a letter of it, since.<br><br><br>I don't know if it's just a concept that we never think about or if it was the presentation, but there is definitely something a bit strange about the relationship between our minds and our bodies. <br><br>Maybe its best we don't think about it but I have a feeling that for the kinds of folks who read this Zine, we prefer to decide what's 'best.'<br><br>Glad it grabbed you. That's what it was for.<br><br>Bill<br>
"I am Susan Ivanova. . . .I am the Right Hand of Vengence. . .I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Editor Emeritus

Post October 18, 2005, 08:09:17 PM

Well, I can't see the Kate connection in the poem, but then I've never met her in person.<br><br>A unique and striking perspective, married with an intriguing monologue that left me thinking.<br><br>Nicely done.<br><br><br>Nate
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Return to October 2005