Time Out, E.S. Strout

Tell us what you thought about the October 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Commenter

Post October 13, 2005, 11:21:23 AM

Time Out, E.S. Strout

Reminds me of the Golden Age sci fi and the modern idea-driven sci fi. I enjoyed it.<br><br>Perhaps add a bit more description around the dialogue and put some of the background info. in dialogue into indirect dialogue/summaries?<br><br>Best,<br>Nick Capo<br>(www2.ic.edu/ncapo/)<br><br>

Master Critic

Post October 18, 2005, 12:58:18 PM

Time Out, E.S. Strout

<br>this was a very good classic sci-fi read. i do have some questions and comments. <br>although the dialogue was superb in its functionality and correctness, it suffered from a wee bit of info dumping and stating the obvious. you wanna tell me Evans, who's such an experienced star jockey, doesn't know singularity 101?<br>also, why did Susan say "i'll see you off" when she in fact went along for the ride? was this intended as a red herring or perchance does it mean something, like Evans dreamed the whole event? also, what did he apologize for in the end? <br>and haven't these peole heard of decent brews? what, no Goose Island/Sam Adams at the base watering hole? Coors and Bud? no wonder they ended up witnessing the big bang.<br><br>a very brave notion for a short (i'd be scared of getting tangled up in physics) and supremely written with some neat asides like a Westinghouse cold fusion star-faring gizmo. the story should have taken itself more seriously tho, even if it meant being longer and incorporating more hard science.<br><br>Lee

Senior Critic

Post October 24, 2005, 07:30:48 PM

Re: Time Out, E.S. Strout

Hi Lee,<br><br>Thanks for the critique on Time Out. Such reviews are most helpful to one who writes only as an avocation. One small correction - it was their boss, General Shaw who said he'd be there to see them off.<br><br>I prefer Anchor Steam Beer - when I can find it.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Gino

Senior Critic

Post October 24, 2005, 08:01:20 PM

Frankly, my only criticism is an echo of Lee's. They fly the speed of light and drink that swill?<br><br>Good read otherwise.<br><br>Dan E.

Master Critic

Post November 13, 2005, 02:42:13 PM

I’m sorry, there was way too much telling for me to properly enjoy this story. I also found chapter 2 to be drawn out and the dialogue forced. By the time we get into anything substantial in chapter 3, a third of the story has passed. In fact, you probably delete chapters 1 and 2 and really not miss a beat.<br><br>I thought the plot was fairly inventive. This is true sci-fi. However, the human element needs elaboration. Only Lt. General Jackson Shaw has any character, and even then, he’s a fairly stereotypical, cigar-chomping, Pattonesque type.
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Master Critic

Post November 14, 2005, 12:36:07 PM

Time Out, E.S. Strout

<br>Gino,<br><br>sorry i didn't answer...most of october and november just blew past. anyway, anchor steam? yeah where can you get it? <br>at any rate, keep up the good work and sorry too that i misread the farewell comment.<br><br>Lee

Return to October 2005