"Winter In Ziegelberg" by Agnieszka Halas

Tell us what you thought about the April issue!

Moderator: Editors

Commenter

Post April 27, 2016, 12:41:02 PM

"Winter In Ziegelberg" by Agnieszka Halas

AMAZING, an absolutely stunning tale, written with superior talent. I can't believe this story hasn't been heavily commented on. The imagery and sheer power of the narrative is top notch. You can feel the pain, the despair, the cold, the wind, and the snow. It nearly brought me to tears. I made the mistake of starting to read this story before leaving the house for an appointment and barely made it in time.

The story grabs you right away, and doesn't let go until the very end. It portrays the very essence of the type of suffering and difficult decisions that literally billions of people face, and have faced, in this world. Before you treat yourself to that next mocha latte at Starbucks, or worry that your smartphone isn't charged up enough, or if your boss will give you a raise, read this story first, and then re-examine what is important in your life. Go home and hug your family, help your neighbor, and simply do something for someone else.

Oh, and watch out for creepy dollmakers whose motives might be less than honorable!

Every writer, young or old, novice or professional, can learn something from reading Winter In Ziegelberg. Thank you for this story, and bless you for surviving whatever has inspired it. Even though it is springtime, getting warm, and becoming green here in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, I won't soon shake the chill this story has left me with.

BRAVO!!!
Glenn Diamond

Long Fiction Editor

Post April 30, 2016, 08:44:52 PM

Re: "Winter In Ziegelberg" by Agnieszka Halas

Incredibly sad, indeed; we get to see this little family selling off their possessions one by one to survive, and not quite ever getting as much as they need, every day getting worse. Still, they cling to hope, until there is none, while a disturbing specter floats over the town.

This story should be a lesson to writers who think that violence and speed and noise are necessary to maintain interest. The pace is slow and quite even almost to the end, but it does hold you.

I was amazed at this Polish writer's skill and precision with the English language. The way you see it is almost exactly the way I received it; I don't think I changed more than a few characters. I can't guess the how and why of that accomplishment, but when I see a story done this well, it makes me a happy editor. All the story elements are finely crafted, yet they don't draw attention to themselves; the reader's immersion is never disturbed.

I hope more than two people have had a chance to read this.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Senior Editor

Post May 05, 2016, 05:09:55 PM

Re: "Winter In Ziegelberg" by Agnieszka Halas

Because of a reader request, I discovered that I had my e-mail set up incorrectly and had to change some settings. I'm not sure if the outgoing mail is actually working at the moment...

The request was for a link to this story so that they could read it.

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/serials ... eberg.html

I thought I would leave this here just in case I have more mail settings to puzzle out.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Return to April 2016