Open Submissions for new Anthologies

Tell us what you thought about the November issue!

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post August 22, 2015, 03:44:05 PM

Open Submissions for new Anthologies

These people (from the Online Writers Workshop) are putting together two new anthologies. They have some stories and authors already, but are accepting submissions for additional stories to complete the books.

http://tiny.cc/bfah1x

They're still taking Kickstarter donations, and offer incentives at various contribution levels. They have already reached their basic funding goal but will be offering more goodies (including higher royalties) with further donations.
Authors will be paid, with both advances and royalties.

Submission guidelines are here:

http://jpsorrow.livejournal.com/472423.html

Be sure to read it carefully.

Sharpen your pencils, and good luck!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post August 22, 2015, 07:52:03 PM

Re: Open Submissions for new Anthologies

Here are some more notes.

I'm seriously considering this if my health holds out.

---------

Stories for this anthology must be original (no reprints or previously published material), no more than 7,500 words in length, and must satisfy the theme of the anthology.

ALIEN ARTIFACTS is to feature stories where some type of left-behind alien tech has been found and how it may affect our society, our humanity, or the characters. It can be an artifact discovered on Earth in our past or during current times, OR PREFERRABLY, an artifact that we run across while exploring space in the future. I want to stress this: the story must feature an alien artifact (not an alien). Aliens can appear in the story, but the genesis of the story must be some kind of alien artifact. Stories featuring more interesting alien artifacts, and twists on how they are discovered or how they affect our society/humanity, while being set in the future, will receive more attention than those set in the present or past. In other words, we don’t want to see 100 stories dealing with an archeological dig discovering a long buried alien artifact. If we do, it’s likely that only one at most would be selected for the anthology. So be creative and choose something different and use it in an unusual and unexpected way. We are looking for a range of tones, from humorous all the way up to dark.

WERE- is to feature stories where some type of were-creature OTHER than a werewolf is the main character. Werewolves can appear in the story, but they cannot be the main character or the central focus of the story. I want to stress this: the story must feature a were-creature! Stories featuring more interesting were-creatures, and twists on how they are integrated into the story, will receive more attention than those with more mundane creatures. In other words, we don’t want to see 100 stories dealing with a were-cat. If we do, it’s likely that only one at most would be selected for the anthology. So be creative and choose something different and use it in an unusual and unexpected way. We are looking for a range of tones, from humorous all the way up to dark.

The deadline for submissions is October 31th, 2015. Decisions on stories should be completed by the end of December 2015. Please send submissions to Joshua@zombiesneedbrains.com. You will receive a receipt email within a few days of receiving the submission. Notices about decisions on the stories will be sent out no later than the end of January 2016.

------------

(Tao Comments)

As much fun as Flash is, I really like having more words to work with. I don't have exact stats anymore on my best range, but 7490 really should be enough for me.

I don't do "were-thingies" so I'd look at the Alien Artifacts side.

Long Fiction Editor

Post August 23, 2015, 08:57:27 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:Here are some more notes.

I'm seriously considering this if my health holds out.

snip
------------

(Tao Comments)

As much fun as Flash is, I really like having more words to work with. I don't have exact stats anymore on my best range, but 7490 really should be enough for me.

I don't do "were-thingies" so I'd look at the Alien Artifacts side.

You're allowed multiple entries, you know. Just send each separately.

Editor Emeritus

Post September 16, 2015, 12:39:02 PM

Do you have any info about deadlines?

Long Fiction Editor

Post September 16, 2015, 06:16:31 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:Do you have any info about deadlines?

Everything you need to know is in the submission guidelines, which you've already looked at ... you posted a portion of them above on Aug 22, including the deadline.

Focus, Tao. ;-)

Long Fiction Editor

Post November 02, 2015, 12:00:36 AM

Contest deadline for submissions was yesterday.

Master Critic

Post November 02, 2015, 08:45:17 AM

Thanks Lester. I sent a story in. I also told them that I write for Aphelion. I must credit Aphelion for Aphelion started me writing years age, and without Aphelion's support, I wouldn't be writing today!
Tesla Lives!!!

Return to November 2015