Schimitar Moon by J.G. Grimmer

Tell us what you thought about the September issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor at Large

Post September 10, 2015, 09:22:22 PM

Schimitar Moon by J.G. Grimmer

Very good. Modern writing with old Arab fairy tale style. The descriptions are excellent and the story interesting. I was honestly taken in by the way it was written never actually saying he was singularly employed by the Sultan and that home was the human city.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Commenter

Post September 14, 2015, 03:00:18 PM

Re: Schimitar Moon by J.G. Grimmer

I'm lucky enough to get to read this author's work on a regular basis, and the descriptions are always PHENOMENAL. Whether it's something beautiful, like long camel eyelashes highlighted by a campfire, or something grotesque, like bloodstained arrowhead teeth, the author always finds a way to make the description unique and memorable. The setting of this story is also different from other fantasy tales I've read, making it stand out from the pack, and as EddieSullivan pointed out, the references to the main character's employer and his desire to return home take on a whole new (and wonderful!) meaning once you've completed the story. I would love to see more of this character and his world. This could easily be the opening chapter of a longer work.

-Gretchen
https://astheheroflies.wordpress.com/

Return to September 2015