The Terraformers by Sergio 'ente per ente' Palumbo

Tell us what you think about the December 2014-January 2015 double issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor at Large

Post December 11, 2014, 09:57:46 PM

The Terraformers by Sergio 'ente per ente' Palumbo

First off there hasn't been a lot of Mare stuff around in 2014 and I have yet to fully explore the back catalog in anyway so my experience is quite limited. The story has a good premise which carries the narrative through to the end. The ending is good if a tiny bit standard as a double agent style trope. The referring to the Alien by his name and alternating to his race confused me slightly. This story could have taken place in any bar in a sci fi setting though. Was there something which tied it more closely into the Mare paradigm that I missed as a Mare Inebrium novice? Could a stock character made and appearance or a fixed item that belongs to the bar figure into the story in some way to give it the link? Overall I enjoyed it.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Master Critic

Post December 16, 2014, 06:11:24 AM

Re: The Terraformers by Sergio 'ente per ente' Palumbo

Glad you liked it, sure thing!!!

I just didn't insert any reference to the known proprietors/guys/women of the Mare Inebrium this time as I had already focused on some of them in my previous stories set in the wondrous setting created by Dan Hollifield, so I just wanted to have a look at some of many (ever unusual and full of surprises...) alien customers of that great place for this moment...eh,eh :D

Senior Editor

Post December 18, 2014, 02:45:02 PM

One of the nice things about sharing the Mare Inebrium is that writers get a pre-built set to drop their characters into. A little description of the decor, a statement of the name, and regular readers have an established image in their minds.

Perhaps I should have asked Sergio to add in a bit more set dressing for readers new to the series. That was my fault.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Editor at Large

Post December 18, 2014, 08:22:35 PM

I liked the story. I just felt as someone not very familiar with the setting that it wasn't heavily grounded in an identifiable mythos. The over all story was reflective of Sergio's talent and he deserves praise. I would have like something to pull me into the Mare setting is all.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Long Fiction Editor

Post December 19, 2014, 12:59:39 AM

EddieSullivan wrote:I liked the story. I just felt as someone not very familiar with the setting that it wasn't heavily grounded in an identifiable mythos. The over all story was reflective of Sergio's talent and he deserves praise. I would have like something to pull me into the Mare setting is all.

Just start reading them, Eddie. If you're anything like me, you won't get anything else done for a while.

As to the story ... I thought the delivery was dry, but made up for that with the intricate multi-layered plot, the underlying social message about reckless greed, and the double-cross at the end.

Oh--that bio ... :shock:
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to December 2014-January 2015