Psi Language by George Schaade

Tell us what you think about the November 2014 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Junior Critic

Post November 27, 2014, 02:37:01 PM

Psi Language by George Schaade

This story divides neatly into two parts. In the first, Mr. Schaade gives us a setting, introduces his protagonist and antagonist, and sketches a conflict between them. A cast of supporting characters walks on, and the story commences.

I enjoy Mr. Schaade’s stories particularly for their dialogue. It’s the interactions among the characters that drive the plots forward.

The latter part of “Psi Language” is--almost entirely--subjective narrative. It isn’t clear to me if any time elapses during the protagonist’s experience. The conclusion leaves me wondering what happens next.
QW

Commenter

Post November 28, 2014, 08:04:01 PM

Re: Psi Language by George Schaade

Thank you, QW
I've always enjoyed writing dialogue but this story centered on a lack of communication which, as you mentioned, leads to a weakness in the second half of the story.

Editor at Large

Post December 05, 2014, 12:30:28 PM

Re: Psi Language by George Schaade

This had a "Martian Chronicles" feel to it. Good job! I liked it. Conflict without violence as well. Good mashup of literary fiction and science fiction IMHO.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Return to November 2014