Boy at the End of the World by Ee Pin Pang

Tell us what you thought about the June 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Senior Critic

Post June 17, 2005, 11:35:56 PM

Boy at the End of the World by Ee Pin Pang

This urban fantasy seemed to be aimed at young audiences, but I feel that YA and older readers will also find it entertaining. <br><br>IMO the story started a bit slow, but revved up as it moved along. It took a while for me to get hooked into the story, but once I did get into it, I was held in suspense, wondering exactly what young Tim would find.<br><br>Ee Pin Pang shows us a side of Lucifer that I've never heard of before. :-)<br><br>My feeling at the outset was that the story needed more show and less tell, but for this type of story, I s'pose the show/tell balanced out pretty well. <br><br>Although the ending was satisfactory with no loose ends (that I could see), I thought that it would have a bit more punch.<br><br>All in all, a pleasurable read.<br><br>Donald<br><br>
A really good story can compensate for less-than-brilliant writing, but brilliant writing will not save a bad story.

Senior Editor

Post June 18, 2005, 12:07:16 AM

Re: Boy at the End of the World by Ee Pin Pang

I'm with Donald on this one: when I first started reading, I thought the pacing was off, but by the time I finished, I'd revised that opinion. Excellent tale. May I have another?<br>Dan<br>
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Master Critic

Post June 29, 2005, 11:21:08 PM

Nice tale! Good reading with a story that is not predictable and certainly not a copy!<br><br>The pace was even and the introduction of the characters came as needed and were not "forced" on the reader. <br><br>I'll be looking for more stories in the future from<br>Ee Pin Pang!!!
Tesla Lives!!!

Senior Critic

Post July 01, 2005, 11:31:45 AM

I'm not troubled by the pacing of this story and think it read pretty well. It had a good message and an atypical interpretation of Lucifer, one of my favorite figures.<br><br>I think what keeps it from being a great story is the need for general refinement, the kind that comes when the writer lets something sit for a few months then revisits it to clean up bits of writing that don't work as well as others. Not sure how useful a criticism that is...<br><br>Anyway, I liked this one.<br><br>Dan E.

Editor Emeritus

Post July 03, 2005, 08:36:44 PM

I'm not troubled by the pacing of this story and think it read pretty well. It had a good message and an atypical interpretation of Lucifer, one of my favorite figures. ...

Dan E.
<br>Kinda reminded me of the uberdemon D'Hoffryn from the Buffy TV series. He thought Willow had shown a flair for nasty retribution when she accidentally caused huge problems for her friends after attempting a spell that essentially made her whims come true (not just wishes -- offhand sarcastic remarks, too). He offered to make her into a Vengeance Demon (a tremendously powerful entity) -- but when she refused the offer, he just shrugged and sent her home with a standing offer to transform her if she ever changed her mind. Apparently beings of Ultimate Evil Power can be pretty easygoing when it suits 'em.<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Return to June 2005