A Daughter's Choice by Nick Capo

Tell us what you thought about the June 2005 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Senior Critic

Post June 23, 2005, 10:08:46 PM

A Daughter's Choice by Nick Capo

This is a decent read, well-written with an understandable focus on politics. I liked the main character and wanted to see her succeed, and I'm interested in following more of her life. <br><br>But I wonder if the ending is a deal breaker here. <br><br>In my opinion, Mr Capo builds the story to a logical and satisfying climax and then pulls the plug on the action. The result was unsatisfying for me. I'm not talking about carnage and mayhem, I'm talking about keeping the action alive and showing us the interactions between the protagonist and those she wishes to engage (trying not to spoil here). We don't even need to see the end result. It's just that the resort to exposition over action undid the ending for me. And I'm curious if others felt the same way.<br><br>Dan E.<br><br>

Editor Emeritus

Post June 23, 2005, 11:08:26 PM

Re: A Daughter's Choice by Nick Capo

... Could be worse. Could be like the George R. R. Martin series (the most recent two volumes being 'A Storm of Swords' and 'A Clash of Kings', not necessarily in that order), where kingdom-shaking crises are set up and left for the next book, which could be YEARS in coming.<br><br>I don't know if Nick had planned to write a sequel (or sequels) to this piece, but the potential is certainly there. In this case, he chose to focus on the choices that make a crown so damn heavy -- to bow to the merchants' and nobles' power grab, and see the end of all her father had built, or to go against her own pacifist leanings and risk a civil war. If he writes a followup story to this one, he could show our Heroine dealing with the consequences of her decisions ...<br><br>Robert M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Senior Critic

Post June 24, 2005, 12:10:13 AM

True enough. And I thought immediately of Martin's (great) series, particularly the scene where the men pledge their loyalty to the son (whose name escapes me cuz, as you note, it's been years since the last book). And it's not that we lack resolution, which I'm fine with in fantasy, but that the ending was bit passively written, ie, tell vs show. <br><br>Anyway, it seems like Nick has more up his sleeve. Perhaps he'll comment.<br><br>Dan E.
Last edited by unforgibbon on June 24, 2005, 12:11:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commenter

Post June 30, 2005, 04:59:29 AM

Thats funny I was also reminded of George R.R. Martins 'Song of Fire and Ice' series. Damn good stuff. BTW, the new book is coming out, but you have to make sure you've read all the previous ones before reading the next installment. Its called 'A feast for crows'.<br><br>Re. A Daughters choice, I also felt a little let down by the ending and hope Mr. Capo gives us a little more. The characters were well thought out and the story got more and more intriguing as it went on. <br><br>If there is more to the story, I would like to read it.

Commenter

Post September 10, 2005, 02:09:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback on this story, and I'm sorry for my delayed response. The summer was a chaotic time.<br><br>I did worry about the lack of a direct confrontation in the ending, but I made a conscious choice to keep the focus on Isabella's internal conflict. I hope to return to Isabella in another story soon, and I expect that one to have more action in it.<br><br>This story fits within a larger world that I'm constructing, and I have a number of stories set in the same city. I hope to share several more with the Aphelion readers in the near future.

Return to June 2005