Hullabaroo by Kim Mary Trotto

Tell us what you think about the August 2014 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor at Large

Post August 05, 2014, 08:36:46 PM

Hullabaroo by Kim Mary Trotto

I thought this was wonderful. Anthropomorphic kangaroos are delightful! The dialogue was regional and left me with a Aussie feel. I think your ending was too easy of an answer. He got off too easy by a loophole info dump. You could have made it more complicated and more difficult in the resolution and not used an info dump to save him. Overall well worth reading.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Commenter

Post August 06, 2014, 04:07:29 PM

Re: Hullabaroo by Kim Mary Trotto

Almost never register for a website to weigh in on what i've read. i'm making an exception for Kim Mary Trotto's story. it had everything a true storyteller offers a reader: another world, created in next to no time, with dialog that puts us utterly there with both characters. it's a tribute to her talent that we know and 'get' them so well, so quickly. more, please.

Master Critic

Post August 06, 2014, 04:47:50 PM

jcsutton wrote:Almost never register for a website to weigh in on what i've read. i'm making an exception for Kim Mary Trotto's story. it had everything a true storyteller offers a reader: another world, created in next to no time, with dialog that puts us utterly there with both characters. it's a tribute to her talent that we know and 'get' them so well, so quickly. more, please.

Welcome to Aphelion, JC. Read and comment more, we'd love to have you around.

Long Fiction Editor

Post August 29, 2014, 09:42:50 PM

I quite liked this one. The dialog and characterization put you right there.

I agree with Eddie that the ending was too 'telly,' but this is what happens when you're stuck with a short format. Not sure it could have been done much better within the confines of a short word limit.

The last line offers fuel for thought. What will she do, anyway?

Very nice, Kim.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to August 2014