The Veil by Michele Dutcher

Tell us what you think about the May 2014 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor at Large

Post May 05, 2014, 07:34:04 PM

The Veil by Michele Dutcher

Excellent. It was soft science but that does not matter. The story was excellent and the vibe I got was 70's classic scifi. I could see this being a movie ala "Logan's Run" , "Soylent Green" or "Planet of the Apes". But that is just what I felt as I was reading. Also take into consideration I love all the movies I just mentioned to death.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Commenter

Post May 09, 2014, 05:16:51 PM

Re: The Veil by Michele Dutcher

Great story and love the surprise ending. I have a quick question...there were seasons correct? But just much colder than average all over the world?

Master Critic

Post May 13, 2014, 04:03:32 PM

Right. My thoughts were that by blocking out some/most sunlight, it would cool the earth suddenly, stopping global warming. Then the pieces of the moon would eventually thin, and perhaps enter Earth's atmosphere as meteorites, thereby allowing the Earth to slowly warm up.
I used the hyper as a way to connect the top and bottom worlds, but I'm not sure that the magnets would actually pull the sleds, because their wouldn't be enough friction from the hyperloop through the ice. I very much like Elon Musk's inventions and forward way of thinking, so I wanted to include this invention.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Editor at Large

Post May 14, 2014, 10:10:17 AM

If the science had to be perfect it wouldn't be science fiction it would be literarty fiction.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Master Critic

Post May 14, 2014, 04:31:27 PM

However, if someone had a better idea, like just using the ice like a river to convey the sleds quickly, maybe I could change the story slightly...The hyperloop needs to be in the story as a vehicle (literally) to connect the two cultures, above ground and below ground. I think about it, seriously.

Editor at Large

Post May 14, 2014, 07:09:38 PM

Well I liked it. And if we had to second guess ourselves ad infinitum nothing would ever make it to print. Good Job on a good story!

Master Critic

Post May 15, 2014, 08:41:48 AM

What I am going to say now is satire okay..."When someone buys the movie rights, they can figure out the details!" Love it. I made myself laugh :P

Return to May 2014