Matter of Fact by Edward Sullivan

Tell us what you think about the March 2014 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post March 20, 2014, 05:12:47 PM

Matter of Fact by Edward Sullivan

I thought this story was great, but then again, I'm the flash editor, so if I didn't like it, I wouldn't have published it. :) At first it made me think about the search for the Higgs boson because of how the Higgs boson has been nicknamed the "God Particle." The story also made me think about how we are made of atoms that existed before we were alive and will exist after we are dead. That concept was recently reiterated in the first episode of the new Cosmos series when Neil deGrasse Tyson mentioned how we are all made of star stuff. Here's a quote from Dr. Tyson that is along the same lines:

Neil deGrasse Tyson wrote:“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them in their cores and exploded these enriched ingredients across our galaxy, billions of years ago. For this reason, we are biologically connected to every other living thing in the world. We are chemically connected to all molecules on Earth. And we are atomically connected to all atoms in the universe. We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

Obviously there's something more going on with this particle in Ed's story. Perhaps it's spiritual, and some aspect of God, perhaps it's sinister. For a flash story I thought it gave me a lot to think about.

Editor at Large

Post March 20, 2014, 06:59:44 PM

Re: Matter of Fact by Edward Sullivan

1. I love him so much. My favorite scientist hands down. 2. Thank you I was starting to get freaked out that no one had read it. Of course I knew you read it. But still it is nice to be include on the thread now.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Return to March 2014