Parasitic by Roderick D. Turner

Tell us what you think of the January-February 2014 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post February 09, 2014, 01:03:14 AM

Parasitic by Roderick D. Turner

Not bad. I like the idea of a "Fate engine" -- great name for a nasty device. Cool high-tech equipment they have, too.

Trouble is, I can't help thinking of what really ages people: that thing about telomeres, and how each time a cell regenerates, it loses one of its allotment, like the nine lives of a cat. So, part of me balked at that, but what the hell, if they can walk through walls, I'm sure they could swap a few tiny bits of cellular matter.

Nicely done; short and speedy.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post February 28, 2014, 03:40:58 PM

Re: Parasitic by Roderick D. Turner

Hi Roderick,

I really enjoyed this story. I thought the tech and hacking elements gave it a slight cyber-punk feel. The details of the infiltration were well done with a good level of tension, but because the infiltration was the focus through most of the story, I think the revelation of what Virio was up to, and the Fate engine could have maybe used a little more set-up, maybe more foreshadowing of its consequences earlier in the story. That's just my reaction from one read through though, so take it with a grain of salt. I do like how you wrapped everything up with the relationship between Andrew and Selene, and her exposure to the device and possible loss of life really made for a nice ending with just a touch of bittersweet.

Great job.

John

Editor at Large

Post March 01, 2014, 05:15:58 PM

Re: Parasitic by Roderick D. Turner

I loved this piece. It has an original angle on a scifi building block from the golden age. I hope to read more from this author in the future.
Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. – Neil Gaiman

Return to January-February 2014