Aliens by Richard Tornello

Tell us what you think of the December 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post January 05, 2014, 12:53:53 AM

Aliens by Richard Tornello

There's an interesting comment here about the biology of aliens:

"Their body structures appear to be:
heads and arms, mouths and eyes
legs and feet. . . but thoughts that fly!"

Re: the old criticisms of Star Trek and "humanoid aliens", etc...

But even with better effects, notice the stanza doesn't say anything about the *arrangement* of the body parts! So you can get Avians and Saurians and Humanoids and Dragons and Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!

So an interesting point to ponder is whether it's even possible to conceive of an alien that can sensibly do without most of those body parts. "Eyes" can maybe be covered by ESP or even Sonar. Heads might be the most disposable if you just stick the brain in the body proper, leading to Mr. Potato configurations or even "Headless Horsemen on Headless Horses".

But the Mouth might be tricky - the corollary is if a being can sustain the biomass without eating. If not ... a slightly ruder question is if that ... other side ... is needed.

Master Critic

Post January 05, 2014, 07:58:22 AM

Re: Aliens by Richard Tornello

Tao wrote
But the Mouth might be tricky - the corollary is if a being can sustain the biomass without eating. If not ... a slightly ruder question is if that ... other side ... is needed.

For you scatological types:
In Dynotopia the dynos were so efficient and all energy was consumed from the food so that there was no waste by-product.

RT

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 05, 2014, 12:21:29 PM

rick tornello wrote:Tao wrote

For you scatological types:
In Dynotopia the dynos were so efficient and all energy was consumed from the food so that there was no waste by-product.

RT

That's a premise that's pretty hard to swallow (haw haw). For one thing, it means that under NO circumstances could they ever, even accidentally, swallow anything that they can't digest. It also means that they somehow manage to live without any of the symbiotic gut-fauna that everybody else uses, the dead bodies of which compose about half of a healthy turd (so I've read).

This is getting away from the topic, though . . . with arms, legs, eyes, etc. -- sounds a lot like US.

Maybe WE'RE the aliens.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post January 05, 2014, 12:34:14 PM

Lester Wrote:
That's a premise that's pretty hard to swallow (haw haw). For one thing, it means that under NO circumstances could they ever, even accidentally, swallow anything that they can't digest. It also means that they somehow manage to live without any of the symbiotic gut-fauna that everybody else uses, the dead bodies of which compose about half of a healthy turd (so I've read).

I'm just reporting the news. I didn't write Dinotopia. I thought that a bit impossible considering the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Dinotopia is a fictional utopia created by author and illustrator James Gurney. It is the setting for the book series with which it shares its name. (wiki)

Editor Emeritus

Post January 05, 2014, 05:36:34 PM

rick tornello wrote:I'm just reporting the news. I didn't write Dinotopia. I thought that a bit impossible considering the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Dinotopia is a fictional utopia created by author and illustrator James Gurney. It is the setting for the book series with which it shares its name. (wiki)

Well, Disney drawing aside, it would actually make for a truly funny-serious-funny SciFi story. What if X race didn't have to go potty?!

You could handle the discard products through the exhale alone. (Bad Breath products from them are galaxy-best!!)

The ripple effects are rather deep. Then for a truly amazing scene in a First Contact scenario:
(After they solve the basic language problem).
"Where are your rest rooms?" "
"There aren't any."
"On the whole planet?!"
"No...sorry...hmm. Let's think about how to assist you..."

8)

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 05, 2014, 09:24:34 PM

Maybe more like:

"Where are your rest rooms?"

"What's a 'rest room'?"
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post January 05, 2014, 11:00:59 PM

Tao wrote:

Well, Disney drawing aside, it would actually make for a truly funny-serious-funny SciFi story. What if X race didn't have to go potty?!

You could handle the discard products through the exhale alone. (Bad Breath products from them are galaxy-best!!)

The ripple effects are rather deep. Then for a truly amazing scene in a First Contact scenario:
(After they solve the basic language problem).
"Where are your rest rooms?" "
"There aren't any."
"On the whole planet?!"
"No...sorry...hmm. Let's think about how to assist you..."

Robert Sheckley wrote a short story ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE in which bad breath did play a part in an anthology STORE OF THE WORLDS published by New York Review of Books.

Return to December 2013