The Estimator by David Flynn

Tell us what you think of the December 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post December 28, 2013, 02:41:35 AM

The Estimator by David Flynn

I don't exactly know what to make of this story. It has no plot. Can it be a story without a plot? I suppose so; it works. It grinds relentlessly along, and finally grinds up the pathetic character. Like, one day the whole universe woke up and decided to give Charles the finger, but it/they would let him know what was coming.

Hey, maybe that's the plot.

Why can't this happen to politicians?

The only thing that felt out of place to me was how much Charles cried over old buildings. Beyond that, this is really a well-constructed piece of work, and I was entertained by it. A drawn-out, cosmic WTF, and it's entertaining because it's happening to someone else, and not to me.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post December 28, 2013, 09:58:13 AM

Re: The Estimator by David Flynn

Lester Curtis wrote:I don't exactly know what to make of this story. It has no plot. Can it be a story without a plot? I suppose so; it works.

Yes they can; there's an entire genre of them, usually called "slice of life". Now normally when they're not Aphelion slices but misc items in a book, I tend not to like Slices much in "ordinary fiction". But there are a couple of exceptions.

- Slices set in a great SciFi setting are nice. Then your own mind can play with the "world" after the Slice is over. (Or later even the author does; by doing the Slice it's like a trilogy that gets the backdrop out of the way so that a true story can run much faster.)

- Slices set in historical settings but well researched. I read one a while back about Jews set in a small village around Poland in maybe the 1933 time frame, before the rumblings of WWII. Star Trek was a bit heavy handed at times but they did try to emphasize about cultural sensitivity. So reading about a boy's six month study for a Bar Mitzvah exam and a 60+ year old Rabbi tutoring him was educational.

Editor Emeritus

Post January 05, 2014, 01:03:29 AM

Re: The Estimator by David Flynn

TaoPhoenix wrote:...
- Slices set in a great SciFi setting are nice. Then your own mind can play with the "world" after the Slice is over. (Or later even the author does; by doing the Slice it's like a trilogy that gets the backdrop out of the way so that a true story can run much faster.)

As I found out tonight, the world with the Vampires is available to be "played in".

Return to December 2013