Blue Plate Special by Kate Thornton

Tell us what you thought of the September 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post September 22, 2013, 10:22:35 AM

Blue Plate Special by Kate Thornton

A rusted out cargo ship named the Linda Rae ekes out a living, hauling freight in small quantities, competing with large transport vessels with adventures of happenstance around every corner.

As usual, Kate's writing is the real star of this sci fi adventure. As always, the comfortable flow of the read carries her audience through the set up for action with as much interest for the reader as the major plot developments themselves.

Early on, Kate creates some business with a cargo haul from Toshiba Station to Bishop 13, which is referred to as a "demon run" that is characterized by the statement, "a 666 - six hours out, six hours docked, six hours back", a great piece of imagination.

The idea that the "Corp" had it's own language in the same way that races of people do was a fascinating element of story crafting.

Kate possesses great descriptive powers and is able to give inanimate objects a human quality such as in this passage, "...there was a pleasant sound in the background, almost like soft music or the sighs of filtered air currents through reedy pipes". This is a developed ability of professional writers to bring stories to life.

Kate blends folksy manner of speaking with sci fi tech and offers a nice passage of narration at the end.

Kate has encouraged me to take another attempt at fiction writing. With her written works as inspiration, how could I miss.

Mark

Long Fiction Editor

Post September 22, 2013, 05:12:01 PM

Re: Blue Plate Special by Kate Thornton

I thought the last few paragraphs were a little weighty, but all in all, this was a fun story to read.

As to the philosophical implications, I've been known to state that, for a species to get into space, they have to be able to eat damn near anything. (I just can't remember what made me think that in the first place.) Anyhow, that baby-eating thing is one I've used in my own writing.

Good job, Kate!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Critic

Post September 22, 2013, 07:19:51 PM

Aw, shucks, guys, thanks!
Kate Thornton

Senior Critic

Post September 22, 2013, 07:49:58 PM

Well done, Kate. This was an easy, enjoyable read. It brings new meaning to the term organ harvesting. If you have one of those little orange dots on your drivers license you know what I mean.

gino

Critic

Post September 24, 2013, 05:41:51 PM

Another wonderfully polished "gem" from Kate!

Stories like this are just a pleasure to read, and...

It looks like the Aphelion staff has cooked up another great issue!

Master Critic

Post September 24, 2013, 05:56:17 PM

gino_ss wrote:Well done, Kate. This was an easy, enjoyable read. It brings new meaning to the term organ harvesting. If you have one of those little orange dots on your drivers license you know what I mean.

gino

I just want "them" to keep their hands off, until I'm through using them.

Master Critic

Post October 10, 2013, 09:57:36 AM

Nice read. Good intro and I liked the old-detective-style narration that was so popular in the 40s and 50s through-out this story. Kate knows how to write, and I enjoy her works.

The story flowed evenly with no hesitation on my part to understand what I was reading.

Nice story, and one that should be studied for its writing.
Tesla Lives!!!

Master Critic

Post October 10, 2013, 04:08:04 PM

Excellent, slightly unexpected, reminds me of an old joke that I heard a long time ago and I can't quite remember who, where or what.

The story moves along at a good pace and is just long enough.

The style and internal conversation is usual for a 1st person narrative.

Since I'm a terrible speller and my grammar is no better, I couldn't even begin to make a critique in that department.

On a totally Unrelated subject to this story
One thing I do have to state, and it's been an argument I've held to, I don't care how outrageous a story may be, if the tenses don't work and there are contradictions, which there aren't. I read a story in a very loose fashion. It ain't a quantum physics text book. I can enjoy most any story, if i like it, with almost any amount of mess up. besides it's science fiction, fiction being the operative
word.

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post October 13, 2013, 09:12:39 PM

A great tale Kate. The narrator really comes to life and I love the hardboiled quality of the story.
I also liked how you teased out the ending not revealing what he took until four words from the end of the story. Of course I had figured it out before then, you started foreshadowing when she translated the sign. But reading the words still had an impact. 8)

The only technical problem I noticed was the missing "a" in the following:
Normally I know better than to ask for something that ambiguous in place like Bishop 19.

Considering the D'rrish reference, does this count as a Mare Inebrium story?
I read a couple of your Mare stories in the past with this character. (I'll have to go back and read them again. :) ) How many stories does she appear in? Are they all in the book mentioned in your bio?

John

Return to September 2013