A Paper Trail or The Fermi Paradox Resolved? by E. A. Moore

Tell us what you thought about the August 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post August 28, 2013, 12:43:26 PM

A Paper Trail or The Fermi Paradox Resolved? by E. A. Moore

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I read this one backwards from the end to the beginning. It works that way too, really, and just like a good painting, it's balanced in any position. Very good.

I'm smiling now as I think more about it. You ran a theme I run in my THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY stories.

Thanks, RT

Long Fiction Editor

Post August 28, 2013, 02:47:51 PM

Re: A Paper Trail or The Fermi Paradox Resolved? by E. A. Mo

If we'd known anything about who sent the message, I think the UN's best response would be along the lines of "I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." (Attribute uncertain; see http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Groucho_Marx)

I'm pretty sure the GLOW bureaucracy includes at least one Department of Redundancy Department.

I noticed that the web address for contacting the UN is the real deal. Nice touch, Mr. Moore. And boy, am I tempted . . . >:D
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Archive Editor

Post August 29, 2013, 11:41:32 PM

Grand!

And if I weren't risking misdemeanor penalties for spam, it would be a fun message to send!

(Ever notice how TWENTY years later spam is still so dumb? I mean come on, didn't the kiddies who grew up on this stuff in 94 grow to be thirty year old spammers themselves, but with a better pitch?!)

Critic

Post September 16, 2013, 09:44:42 AM

I absolutely loved this!!! It was my favorite piece this month and I wished it could have gone on for several more pages (or documents, as it were).

Stuff like this is intelligent, enigmatic, even voyeuristic (in a way) and great fun to read!!! Reminded me a little of a couple of Umberto Eco's more recent books (in tone, not necessarily the writer's "voice"), which is praise I don't hand out lightly.

I will be telling my friends about this one and looking up some of your other stories. Great work!

Editor Emeritus

Post September 16, 2013, 07:46:07 PM

Ah, the universality of dysfunctional bureaucracy. Red tape is probably what holds the universe together.

Poetry Editor

Post September 17, 2013, 02:45:53 AM

davidsonhero wrote:Ah, the universality of dysfunctional bureaucracy. Red tape is probably what holds the universe together.

Nope. That's duct tape!
KNEEL before Zod!

Critic

Post September 17, 2013, 08:56:18 AM

Don't forget "bailing wire"!

Or as we say down in Texas, "This here thing's held together with duct tape and bailin' wire!"

(Of course, such observations are usually followed by the obligatory turn to the right and prompt expectoration of tobacco juice....)

Return to August 2013