60 to 80 Feet

Tell us what you thought of the July 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post July 26, 2013, 02:24:21 PM

60 to 80 Feet

Richard and I see eye to eye on this subject. Everyone is waiting for a magic bullet to cure the global warming extinction level event. I'm afraid it's like waiting to win the lottery instead of planning for retirement - a really bad idea. Deserts and oceans may be all that's left to our great-grandchildren. Changes in weather patterns are already changing our coastlines and inland basins. what will it take? 60 to 80 feet of sea water?
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Editor Emeritus

Post July 26, 2013, 04:27:38 PM

Re: 60 to 80 Feet

bottomdweller wrote:Richard and I see eye to eye on this subject. Everyone is waiting for a magic bullet to cure the global warming extinction level event. I'm afraid it's like waiting to win the lottery instead of planning for retirement - a really bad idea. Deserts and oceans may be all that's left to our great-grandchildren. Changes in weather patterns are already changing our coastlines and inland basins. what will it take? 60 to 80 feet of sea water?

The complete collapse of agriculture in the "breadbasket" regions will be a wakeup call. All it takes is one of the rather frequent "storms of the century" to wipe out wheat and corn crops in the U.S. and Canada and we will see the prices of staple foods jump. With a dollar sign attached, people may take notice... not that we haven't passed the point where we can do much more than slow down the rate of change.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post July 26, 2013, 04:41:21 PM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:... not that we haven't passed the point where we can do much more than slow down the rate of change.

At that point, the rate of change would be about twenty dollars for a loaf of bread.

The problem with overcoming apathy is that people have to care to do something about it...which is why they are apathetic to begin with.

Editor Emeritus

Post July 26, 2013, 05:28:36 PM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:The complete collapse of agriculture in the "breadbasket" regions will be a wakeup call. All it takes is one of the rather frequent "storms of the century" to wipe out wheat and corn crops in the U.S. and Canada and we will see the prices of staple foods jump. With a dollar sign attached, people may take notice... not that we haven't passed the point where we can do much more than slow down the rate of change.

Robert and Mark, I agree the majority only seems to take notice when the problem affects their wallet. Of course, even when the majority of people are "for" doing something, most of the time they can't get the politicians to move in the right direction anyway.

I'm still optimistic that humans will ultimately find solutions and ways to overcome our self inflicted problems. That doesn't mean there won't be lots of unnecessary suffering first.

Concerning food shortage, a while back I read the book The Vertical Farm: Feeding the World in the 21st Century by Dickson Despommier before writing a story for Richard and Michele's short story contest at Kalkion.com. Regardless of the quality of the story I came up with ( :roll: ), the book by Despommier was pretty interesting and optimistic about what we can do to address the lack of arable land and impending food shortages.

info here: http://www.verticalfarm.com/

John

Return to July 2013